Inline Fabrication

Thread: CZ 452 Verses 455

Boolit Bub

CZ 452 Verses 455

How about the pros and cons of each,
    Sees like an almost cult following with the 452
    "It's a good day for something"

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have a 455 so I can not comment on them. I do have 452's and 453's. Between the two I prefer the 452. I don't care for the set trigger on the 453. The stock 452 trigger becomes a thing of beauty with the YoDave trigger kit https://www.yodaveproducts.com/ I first started using them when Brooks was selling them. Per Dave's site it looks like the 455 has the same trigger as the 452. Again I have zero experience with the 455.

Boolit Master
    I love my 455. The sporter 22lr barrel is all you need paired with SK or CCI SV ammo. The ability to switch calibers is interesting and easy. 2 grub screws and you're done. It is the slickest action of any 22 I've handled. Buy a couple extra mags. 452's have ceased production and are gonna get hard to find and skyrocket in value.

I own both and can't tell any difference in the way they shoot or their accuracy. On a still day, both will shoot dime size groups at 50 yards.

Out of three 452's and 1 455, I can't tell any difference in accuracy. The fit and finish of my 455 Lux is just a little better than any of my 452's.

Boolit Master

I have the 452 Varmint version and coupled with a small Leupold scope it does everything I could ask for in .22 LR.

I also have a 527FS in .223 Rem. This is the one with the beautiful Mannlicher full length walnut stock and the steel muzzle cap and the round protector for the front sight. This is a joy to shoot and carry as it handles like a dream and again with a smaller Leupold scope it takes the 223 Rem to the limit every time I use it. I use it primarily to take care of coyotes after I call them into range with an electronic game caller. This is a light and very effective weapon that is too good looking to keep in a dark safe. It needs regular outings in the sunlight and fresh air.

With the insane cost of .22 LR ammo I have hardly used the 452 for years as I can make and shoot most of my reloaded ammo cheaper than buying .22 ammo. By casting and the PC process I can customize my ammo to suit my needs. I no longer seek the high velocity and punishing recoil that I enjoyed when I was younger. The paper and steel targets don't seem to mind being struck with a slower projectile and I save on powder costs. I shoot 357 Magnum rounds that perform like vanilla .38's @ 850 FPS. Not only do I save on powder but I am not wearing out my weapons as fast.

I bought a Wild West Guns "Wolverine" custom revolter in 454 Casull. I have yet to buy a 454 Casull round nor do I have any brass in that caliber. What I really liked was the ability to utilize 45 Colt ammo and also to fire .45 ACP in moonclips thru the honking big weapon. Make no mistake, this is a massive gun built on a Ruger Super Redhawk frame called the Toklat. Ruger made it with a 5" tube. WWG cut it back a mite and ported the muzzle, shaved off some excess metal, worked over the action and trigger, machined out the cylinder to accept moonclips and kept the cutouts on the frame for the included with purchase scope rings. They also highly polished a portion of the cylinder and finished another portion with a black cerrocoat finish. Then they added the words "Wolverine" on the right side of the barrel, "Wild West Guns" on left side and "Las Vegas, Nevada" on the underside. It made for a handsome and very practical weapon which is joy to shoot and has a trigger action that rivals my best Smith&Wesson revolvers.

With my handloaded .45 ACP cartridges of a very modest velocity shooting this honking revolter can be enjoyed for hours as the recoil is like shooting a .22 LR with a 6" tube. The only limiting factor is how much ammo did you bring and how much time do ya have to spend on the range? A tired arm may be encountered but with time ya musculs will accomodate the heavy weight of this fine weapon.

I found a holster for this handcannon and I strap it on while hunting Mr. Wiley E. Coyote and his pals as often those rascals will sneak inside normal shooting range of 100-150 yds and I have had them run over my feet trying to get to the electronic caller which I usually post 200 feet away from me. Big surprise for all concerned and a bolt action .223 is not a perfect weapon especially with a scope mounted so out comes the "Wolverine" and a soft lead penta hollow pointed boolit via a Mehec mold from Slovenia over a meager portion of Titegroup powder has always been very effective when utilized inside of 40 yds. They are really sneaky and fast and I have taken doubles on more than one hunt.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master

Posts #4 and #5 pretty much tell it.

The barrel attachment method of the 455 isn't really new tech, it's been proven elsewhere on a jillion other platforms (pinned, not necessarily switch-barrel), and it's unquestionably cheaper to produce than the threaded-in 452 arrangement. I have a 452 "trainer"and it delivers considerably more than I asked for when I bought the thing. The ability to change calibers from .22LR to "other" is of serious non-interest to me - - if I ever do buy a 455, the OEM barrel may as well rust into place for all I'd be using that option.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Mold
    I probably have a dozen CZ rimfires roughly. More 455s than 452 though. Both can be very accurate. I have a bone stock 455 Evo that shoots dime sized groups at 50 yards with Eley Target consistently. Haven't done jack to it, scared to. If it ain't broke don't fix it! I also have some 455s that I removed the barrel sold them and went other ways. One I got a SS Lilja bull barrel for and another I got a Federsen threaded bull barrel, both in 22 LR. The threaded I shoot suppressed of course. Almost all of them I have bought the cheap Fastenal spring for less than a $ and changed out w the factory trigger spring. Immediately takes it to less than 2 pounds. Most CZ triggers break fairly well too. So for less than a dollar you have a great trigger. You can't do that with many rifles! Anyway, I would get whatever you get the best price on or the best stock or whatever. Whatever feels best to you and you will be fine. Just don't buy any of their pistols or centerfires. You will want more of them too!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ledslnger View Post
    Just don't buy any of their pistols or centerfires. You will want more of them too!
    I just purchased a CZ75 Tactical Sport Orange. That is the finest out of the box pistol I have ever seen or handled.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Barrels are screwed on on the 452’s so what the internet majority research claims they are more accurate than the 455 “pined” replaceable barrel model that are held in by an Allen head.

Made me buy a used cz 452 ultra lux super exclusive 22 lr. It Shoots .5” groups at 50 yards with cheap Winchester 333’s. Think I need a rim fire optic and I’ll do better. I have a vx1 2x7 on it with a 150 yard parllex.

Boolit Master
    If you buy a CZ of almost any flavor you will want some more. 452 or 455 - I would get a 452 if available as they are discontinued and beginning to sell for a premium. Wish I had a 453. Look at www.rimfirecentral.com for CZ fanatics and info on how to make an excellent rifle better. Odds are you are going to love it.

Boolit Master

I can't tell any difference in performance. .22,22 mag, 17 mach in 452 and 455 in 17 HMR. They all shoot great.
    Last edited by Jeff Michel; 08-18-2018 at 08:42 AM.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB