Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Kydex sheaths for a couple Browning knives.

Boolit Master

Kydex sheaths for a couple Browning knives.

Does anyone here do kydex sheaths for over the counter knives?. Have a couple Browning made in China knives 4" and 6" and the factory made nylon sheaths leave a lot to be desired. They come with a liner but the 4" one has already sliced the threads and the el cheapo liner wasn't done right. Frank

You know Kydex is not hard to work with.

A few sheets of Kydex, a harbor freight heat gun, some double cap rivets or small grommets. (I prefer grommets)

Use a pad made from an old towel folded to appropriate size for the bottom. Another for the top.

Get the kydex hot, wrap it around the knife. Slip it between the pads, sit on it for 5 min.

Boolit Master
    GhostHawk, Looks like something that I easily could do. While neither of the knives mentioned have a finger guard a good friction fit (which is basically what the factory made in China sheaths have) I believe from seeing that video a good fit can be achieved. Have to do a belt loop though. Thanks for posting the video much appreciated. Frank

Belt loop can be accomplished a couple of different ways. A couple of mine use a simple leather strap sewed together at the ends and attached to the sheath.

One I used a longer length and doubled it back on itself for a belt loop/pocket clip.

There really is not much limit. Just a matter of working it out in your head.

I have also done a couple of things that are suede on one side, form fitted kydex on the back side where it does not show.

Once you have a few piece of kydex, an assortment of rivets/grommits there is really very little you can not do.Attachment 225582Attachment 225583

This is a simple Kydex Sheath with a belt loop made from a leather belt.

Sewed in the back it is cut to the same shape as the sheath. Then I used bank line zig zagging between the grommits to hold it all together. The copper wire in the shape of a lighting bolt was pure accident. I was just wanting to tighten up the cord and lock all together.

The knife is a Russel Green River blade set in a PVC handle and cord wrapped.
    I have seen others refer to it as having all the class of a prison shank. True enough. But it won't rust, rot, split, break, and the cord wrap means I always have a secure grip.

Image is nothing. Function is all.

Attachment 225584Attachment 225585

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the additional tips and pics. Come to realize that my 300 pound body would make a good press. Great idea using an old bath towel as well. Frank

Boolit Master

Very good tutorial! Thanks.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Instead of rivets or grommets you could use "Chicago Screws" or whatever they are called in your area. These used to be used to hold papers together back in mimeograph days, they're a screw and a collared nut both with an enlarged head, like this. Available in many office supply stores and at least one Electronics place near me.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I'm old enough to remember the old mimeograph machines. Thanks for the tip regarding the "Chicago Screws". Have an old Swedish folding knife that uses them. Finally found it where the wife had put away a woven basket in the closet. Took the knife apart, cleaned out the old gunk and reassembled. Frank

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Might need Locktite for using those with a holster, but you knew that already. On another cool thing you can do with the "Chicago Screws", the female side, with the flat piece ground off and a rounded nose ground on the cylinder at the end away from the threads, can be used as a Paracord Fid (for tying decorative knots using 550 cord) - Neat tool It's pretty hard to push rope through a knot, the fid helps a LOT.

Boolit Master
    Ex-navy and years back used to make my own mooring lines way cheaper than store bought. used 3/4" nylon rope always kept a couple on the boat. In a pinch made great towing lines. Somewhere around here have a British navy pocket knife all stainless with marlin spike, blade, can opener and bottle opener. thanks for the tip. Got on you tube last night and watched about two hours worth of videos on making kydex knife sheaths. Very interesting. Frank