Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Doe run pigs

Boolit Master

Doe run pigs

Browsing craigslist the other day and found a guy selling lead. Went to his house picked up a bunch of stuff and he had 2 pigs of 60 lbs w “doe run” stamped on them. They cut w a knife so I know this much. Going to have ta melt a little down and do a finger nail test or the such to see about what I have here.

Also I picked up some strange soft soft soft lead wire. Real unusual to me never worked w it considering I’m a electrician only thing I can gather maybe it was used for bonding equipment to ground a long time ago?

Boolit Grand Master

Nice Score! Those Doe Run pigs would be a cool find! I've seen lead wire but it was not used for electrical purposes. This was bare wire and very soft. Fish farmers wrap pieces of it around the soaker hoses that supply oxygen that are in the bottom of fish tanks and vatts. I also understand that some lead wire is made to very exact standards and is used as gauges much like pin gauges.

Boolit Grand Master

We used pure lead wire to measure die clearances when build in dies and working on them. a strip in the die and single cycle measure wire to see if there is room for the actual stock. Pure lead wire was used in several ways in industry.

Boolit Master
    I have seen lead wire, or at least I think it was lead, used as a fuse on electric hair dryers. The "lead" wire would melt, and the electrical connection would break.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    We used pure lead wire to measure die clearances when build in dies and working on them. a strip in the die and single cycle measure wire to see if there is room for the actual stock. Pure lead wire was used in several ways in industry.
    I've seen the word "gauge" on some of their spools of wire but I didn't exactly know how it was used. It cost considerably more than ordinary lead wire. They save the corroded stuff that comes out of the fish tanks for me. It seems to be dead soft and makes good black powder bullets!

Boolit Master
    Yeah, it’s as soft as soft can be that wire. Soft enough that if it was a electrical connection I’d deff say it wouldn’t hold a good torque unless you were doing a inch lb and even then it’s pretty soft.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    So what we might be seeing here is battery lead alloy?

Boolit Master
    The recycled lead is 98.5 +- pure lead. The pigs you have are probably from the now shut down primary lead smelter located in Hurculanium Mo. There fore 99.99% pure.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    Used very precise lead wire to measure the bearing clearances on the ship's high pressure ahead steam turbine and low pressure astern turbines when I was in the navy. Put in between the upper bearing shell and shaft retightened back down to spec's then removed the bearing shell carefully took out the leeds and measured with a micrometer. Ahead turbine put out 50,000 HP full out. Frank

Boolit Master
    Doe runs lead was 99.8 pure lead so it’s soft. The recycled stuff is almost pure lead.

Boolit Master
    Good to know. It’ll soon become 75/25 pure to range lead

Boolit Master
    Ten of those Doe Run ingots fell off the back of a truck in my driveway a few months back. Four of them got melted down and poured into smaller ingots for fine tuning alloys. The others got Skilsawn into three roughly equal chunks each for ease of handling when making big batches.
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Master
    “Fell”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by odfairfaxsub View Post
    “Fell”
    Yup, as soon as they cleared the tailgate gravity took over. Luckily there was a freight truck right where they happened to land.
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Master
    I used to get ingots from Sanders Lead in Troy, Alabama. They recycle batteries. I'd get a 60 lb ingot every few months.... They were a female dog to melt down......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?