Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ar makes meat!

Boolit Bub
    Well if a discussion like this isn't a reason to change that caliber for the combat arms I don't know what is....

Threads like this always interest me as you get such varied views and experiences. But people tend to forget that deer hunting is not the same everywhere, even though it's the same animal. Apples don't always get compared to apples. Some people hunt where the deer are small, some where they're rather large. One guy may hunt where he can shoot a deer and watch it run 400 yards without losing sight of it, and share his experiences based on that. While another guy hunts where if a deer runs 30 yards it vanishes. All things to be factored in.
    Former cylindersmith.

Man what state do you live in. Utah I can't even get a deer tag once every 3 years. And it's always a buck.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

AR's are mainly what we deer hunt with although not in 223 since they started allowing straight walled pistol cartridges in the "limited firearms zone" here in Michigan. The Straight wall and 1.8" case length limits pretty much limits you to 200-250yds before you get into a lot of holdover. Otherwise I've be hunting more with some boring 30-06, 444 Marlin, 303, 30-30, 7x57 ect that I've used in other states.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have read where the WW 64gr pp is good medicine on deer. I have some, but cannot use the 223 here.

Boolit Buddy
    My son has taken 2 bucks with 62 gr Federal Fusion in .223. Both were broadside double lung shots from 50-70 yds. Nothing but liquid between the ribs. They both slowly walked about 30 yds and dropped. One was a 10 pt that dressed at 140lbs. It worked well, but I prefer a bigger bullet. If he has time to hunt this year, he'll be using an AR in 6.8 with 115 gr Fusion.

I have AR's uppers in several flavors. The ones I will take deer hunting are the 7.62X40 Now in production in a slightly different version as the 300 Hammer. 125Gr Hornady SST at around 2500 fps. This is an excellent gun for young hunters or those sensitive to recoil. Minimum recoil and good out to 150-200 yards. 450 Bushmaster 250 Gr bullet at around 1800fps. My thick cover swamp land walking gun. I mainly hunt varmints up to Yotes and targets with my 223. All will take deer it just depends on what you are looking for and where you live.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12