RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ar makes meat!

Banned

Ar makes meat!

Been quite a few years since I shot a deer with an ar15. We were doing crop damage shooting last night in a field that a long shot is 250 yards and typically 100-150 so I figured id take one out. I used a 60 grain partition. Ended up shooting 3 deer, does between 75 and a 100 lbs. Farthest shot was 140 and the closest was 75. First two didn't make it out of the field and the third (the one at 75) ran out of the field. It took a bit to find it as there was no blood trail but we got a bit lucky because it made it to the tall grass by the river. Buddy I hunt with about walked over it. Now I had a solid rest and the shots were all placed precisely. Am I impressed? Well not really. 3 deer dead but not a drop of blood on the ground out of any of them. It did the job though. Buddy shot two with his 257 wby at 200 and they dropped like the sky had fell on them. I got it out of my system and will put it away and take out a real deer rifle tonight.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I have wondered what'd be good for deer in the AR platform; I've shot a lot of 308 out of similar but different Semi Autos and I'd think that'd be lethal faster than the .223, but the .223 will do the job with good shot placement (It's just not legal in this state for deer.) So many possible uppers! I've been more a bolt gun guy historically, a 257 Roberts or 243 should DRT a doe pretty thoroughly. I'd have thought a 60 grain partition would work better than that, hmmm.

Banned

I have always liked the Partition, but the Barnes 55 grain TSX HP is the best option that I have seen for .223

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...ree-box-of-20#

Look at the reviews, through and through and good blood trails

Bullets are spendy, but for hunting not an issue.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...free-box-of-50
    Last edited by jmort; 08-14-2018 at 09:12 AM.

Boolit Master

At those distances I'd use the 300 Blackout for an AR, the Barnes 115gr Blacktips do a good job on deer. I also have a .277 Wolverine I would not hesitate using on deer, using 90gr Speer Gold Dots, though have not done so myself. Though I personally feel .243 is the bare minimum for deer, the .223/5.56 will do the job, but you need to select a bullet that expands at the average range you expect to use it, I too am surprised the partition didn't leave a better blood trail. Where was the shot placed?
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    The .30 RemAR was designed for just what you want to do. But from what I've read, the last batch of brass was run years ago and it can't be formed from another case.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master

Yup Lloyd the "bigger" calibers are more what your used to.

I have seen a number of bang flops with the lil 300, but not usually. We only have 5-7 deer with the 25/45 and one of those was a bang flop. BUT truth told the couple I shot. I did not shoot for a bang flop as I was skeptable of the 90G Sierra HP's so I centered the lungs. I have a short vid of the blood trail, but don't know if I can post up here as well its bloody. That deer was a big Doe at some 75-80 yards. She went about 30-35 yards. I saw her flop once and then was still. Second one was a skipper at about 110 and he mule kicked and also went about 35 yards and was dead when I go there.

This year I'm using a Hornady FTX 110g bullet at about 2650 fps. I expect better performance than the lil 90G Sierras.

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 08-15-2018 at 07:15 AM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Move up to something like a 6x45 or 25x45 if you are body shooting and want to stick with 223 sized cases.

224 high velocity do great with head and neck shots.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I've wondered about 7TCU in an AR, but definitely the rounds I used to use in mine were over length for an AR magazine!

Boolit Master

Now Lloyd, with a good rest, how come you're not shooting that walking sausage in the ear at that distance?. Sure makes clean meat and easy dressing. I've killed a bunch of nuisance hogs though, sometimes a group, so I know the main focus is just gettin 'em down, for the buzzards if nothing else. Glad you're getting a little action anyhow, so blazing hot and humid here I'm conserving body fluid for dove season Sept. 1. Choot'em brother!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

I don't and won't have your deer killing experience but I've killed 5 with the .223. One was a 52 gr bthp that stopped inside the heart. The other four were with 55gr sp. All drt. Three were chest shots and two neck shots. In my 22-250 I used Speer/Sisk 70 gr semi points and they work fine. I'm considering just keeping it loaded with Vmax 55grs and just taking neck shots if doable. I usually hunt with a bigger gun; this season I hope to fill my freezer with venison provided with boolits! 30-30, 44-40, 8x57mm and possibly 38-55 will be ready!

I've speculated on using that Speer 70 grain blunt semi-point in 5.56.
    Seemed like it oughta be about the best of in the penetration department.
    But that said, the weapons training officer that taught AR to the better 2/3's used the partitions and 748 on duty by preference.

I cant use them here in my AR for deer yet but I plan on using the Swift Scirroco II 75gr loaded to 5.56 pressures.

In Remembrance

Lloyd. Now you know why I use a .338/06 with a 210 gr `J` bullet for an almost sure DRT event.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Over the last 28 years I shot alot of deer with a 223 the running off with no blood trail is caused by shooting over constructed bullets on a light animal.Try a winchester 55gr power point you will get way different results,whitetails are not that heavy of a animal.

Boolit Master

223/5.56 is dynamite with neck shots on deer; my Mini 14 was my deer rifle in the Corps; as I could keep it in my truck tool box year around; where it still lives and if it ever got stolen well it wasn’t a family heirloom rifle or anything. Winchester ballistic silvertips; 55 grain. Every deer shot it the neck was bang flop.

Boolit Grand Master
    70 gr. speer works great in my h&r .223. sufficient deer medicine

Boolit Master

I use Barnes TTSX in my 22 Nosler AR for deer, granted I've not harvested anything with it yet and I do have other more suitable rifles for deer hunting so I may not.

The .223 with the Speer 70gr is the ballistic twin of the .22 Savage Hi Power. I'd hunt with it. I've only killed 5 deer with the .223 and all but one were taken with 55sp. All died instantly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I've killed three whitetails in NC with the BH 5.56 Mk262 77gr OTM. Same load that is in 10.3" M4A1 right now here in Astan for other purposes.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Found the experience and some of the comments interesting. Thought about trying 223 for deer but backed off mainly sue to the experiences mentioned. I see Lloyd is from Michigan or up North like me. Deer are a little bigger up here than in the South. Some does are as alarge as some nice bucks in the South. 150-160 pounds or so. The lack of blood trail is a big issue for me. I have backed off the 243 because it does not yield a nice trail as often as I like. 223 would not do as well. How far a deer runs depends on more than just caliber. Shot a big old doe once that ran off the field. I was using a 270 with 130 grain bullets. Blood trail looked like someone was sloshing red paint around. Amazing how far that deer ran. Hit right behind the shoulder classic lung shot. Lungs looked like jelly when I dressed it out. Typical 270 performance. Had there not been a blood trail it would have been a difficult one to find. I want blood trails.

DP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast