Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Better mobility in the woods project

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Better mobility in the woods project

My knees are shot to the point of "can't do much more damage to them"; For hiking in to campsites I can walk a fair ways then sit, rest, rinse, repeat. But that's sorta tough. And I can't really get far into the woods, 400 yards with gear for camping is a goodly ways currently. I'd like a couple miles instead...

I've been looking at getting an electric bicycle, electric dirt bike, quad, or maybe a Rokon 2WD dirt bike (https://www.rokon.com/) - I'd prefer something quiet, slow is OK, I just want to be able to wander quietly in the woods.

Knee surgery seems to be being delayed indefinitely, mumble.

Anyone know much on this subject? Not really needing on-road travel much unless it's an emergency, I've seen too many folks I know get hit by a car where the driver just plain didn't see the bike because it wasn't a car. Maimage is BAD, don't want any.

3 wheelers, 4 wheelers are OK we have a couple of Kawasaki mules now that are my choice these days. Hang a feeder off the back and hit the switch from time to time and animals will run towards you instead of away, when they here it.

Boolit Grand Master

Mr Sheesh, I have mobility issues due to Multiple Schlrocis making walking hard for me. On very good days in the house I use a cane normall days a walker. Out and about in parking lots stores and sidewalks a electric geo chair. On ranges in fields, fairs threashers conventions and rough areas I have a action trac chair. This pmd is on rubber tracs and I have yet to stall, bog it down, or get it stuck. It isn't super fast ( 4-5mph) runs about 8 hours on a charge but for camping or other out door activities a small generator on the back rack and you can charge batteres in the woods. This chair is supposed to be able to ford 14" of water. Snow ice mud haven't affected mine yet. You might give them a look also on line at Action trac chair

Banned

Boolit Grand Master
    The Rokon seems expensive but neat. I would think about a used UTV for about the same investment. It would be safer and more versatile but need a trailer to haul it.

BTW recently I sold both my UTV's and got a used Jeep Wrangle 2 DR. It will go nearly anywhere and it is nice to have a windshield with wipers, heat and A/C. Plus I do not need to trailer it and it can double as a second car. Best decision I made in a while.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    As kids we had access to a gas powered golf cart. It was amazing the places that thing would go. It was light, had fat tires, and went thru soft stuff, went across ditches, and so on.
    Don't discount a golf cart until you actually try it.

Interesting chair! I don't need a full wheelchair (yet), but tracked, hmmm. The Rokon is $7,860 or so which is a little less and it is narrower so it would fit through narrower trails. I imagine the trackchair would be more comfortable though, potentially.

Guy I know has a golf cart with a big engine. I'd believe it! Sadly, a neighbor of his ran him over with their golf cart while imbibing too much, injured him rather badly. That could work too. I have a Cherokee which is similar in size to a Wrangler, the places I want to go, some of them I am not certain that you could get there with a TrackChair or a Quad, no roads just horse / game trails so I may HAVE to do a Rokon or other 2 wheeler. Definitely interesting though

If you can ride a two wheeler, Yamaha has a smaller on/off roader with wide tires that will go most anywhere. It's the TW200 model, been making them forever with lots of inexpensive used ones around. Also has electric start, no kicking required. Relatively low seat, so easy to get a leg over. New, a little over half the price of a Rokon.

This one: https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/du...t/models/tw200

There are factory and aftermarket racks so you can take whatever you need with you.
    Last edited by Speedo66; 08-19-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've always wanted a Rokon. Just never had the money.

Boolit Master
    Well my knee's and both shoulders are all going.... south as they say. I have a farmer version of Honda 400, it is a gas hog, BUT WITH A LITTLE COMMON SENSE and fore site, It would be the best. Have the receiver hitch front and rear for a 4500 lb. winch and you will get out. You in fact with a snatch block may end up helping 4 Wheel drives etc.

Interesting Uh, common sense? Not sure, think I heard of that - once. :P I used to run around in the woods in a VW Squareback, never got stuck, only time I've gotten stuck was when a brother was driving (he didn't "get" to stay on the TOP of a road crest when it was iced over, we managed to bounce and lift the wheels back onto the road.) I'm pretty gentle with vehicles, not the person they pick to make ads with; Because I have to fix anything I break myself LOL

Boolit Master
    Find a old Honda atc 110...in low gear it will crawl they the woods, super tight turn radias and super light. Prices are climbing fast but a good runner can be had at 500.

So long as it's very reliable, nothing wrong with older gear TY!

Boolit Buddy
    Before my dad passed away he would ride a 250 honda 4 wheeler to go hunting. He absolutely had to have a shopping cart if he was going to a store even for just a couple items as his legs had so much nerve damage from a work related incident.
    Just weld an automobile exhaust on a small 4 wheeler.

Sneaky, I like it Had a Harley sneak up on us years ago, we could hear the rock under its' tires shifting before we could hear the exhaust, that's about the right way to do it