RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: 600 JR vs Size/Steelmaster

Boolit Master

600 JR vs Size/Steelmaster

About six months ago I picked up a very nice used Steelmaster 12 gauge . I already had a 600 JR and 9000 for the 12 gauge . But the Steelmaster was a steel pun intended and I figured it could be used for what 12 gauge 3” I’d load . I also at the time had a 600 JR for all my 10 gauge loading , but last hunting season I had issues with the shells going in and out of my Parker doubles , so last week I bought a nice new Sizemaster 10 gauge and I loaded about 60 skeet/dove loads today as well as 20 with the Russian Lyman 10 gauge slug . And they fit wonderfully. Honestly I don’t think it was just the press as I made some slight adjustments in my slug loads as well as using newer hulls . Regardless I’m quite pleased with the outcome . Tommorrow I wanna do another 50-60 skeet/dove loads and a dozen or so 0000 Buck loads . Now if MEC would just come out with a 9000 or Grabber for 10 gauge 2 7/8” I’d be flush ����
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Incidentally my skeet/dove load is 18.8 grains of Red Dot with 1 1/8 ounce of 7 1/2 , 8 , 8 1/2 or 9 shot . I use the REM SP-10 wad with three 16 gauge 1/8” card wads in the bottom of the shot cup and an overshot card just to keep my crimps flat . It’s worked very well on the skeet field with my circa 1891 Parker EH 10 gauge that’s choked cylinder and light modified . It’s also worked well on the trap field with my circa 1889 Parker EH 10 gauge that’s choked full and fuller yet . And as always this load has worked well in my guns , if by chance you wanna try it use due caution as always when getting loads from the net or anywhere for that matter as it may not be good in someone else’s gun .
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 08-13-2018 at 11:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    At the moment I have 9000’s for the 12 , 16 , 20 and 28 as well as a Grabber for the 410 . I prefer these for target bird loads but I also have 600JR’s for the 12 , 16 and 20 for buckshot and slugs . Well also the 10 gauge and the two Size/Steelmaster mentioned above . I the future I may add Sizemaster 16 and 20 machines and do away with the 600JR’s completely . Only time and my desire to shoot will tell !

Boolit Grand Master

I've always said the 600JR is useless until you get a super sizer to go with it. I too got myself a sizemaster, and after using it, I would never recommend a 600JR to a newbie. I never had any problem without it, but that primer feed that comes on a sizemaster sure is nice. The crimps are still not as good as a PW duomatic, but it's over $100 cheaper new, and many more used than PW too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I've always said the 600JR is useless until you get a super sizer to go with it. I too got myself a sizemaster, and after using it, I would never recommend a 600JR to a newbie. I never had any problem without it, but that primer feed that comes on a sizemaster sure is nice. The crimps are still not as good as a PW duomatic, but it's over $100 cheaper new, and many more used than PW too.
    Years ago when I was eat up with the skeet and trap games I had PW 800C’s for the 12 , 20 , 28 and 410 as well as a 375C with a head for the 16 and a second head for the 10 . I still use a PW press for most of my rifle and pistol loading but now that I don’t compete anymore price is a consideration hence the 9000’s and Grabber all were boughtvused except the 16 so price wise I’m in great shape . When I was looking at the Sizemaster 10 I’d also considered a Supersizer but I needed to buy a 12 or 20 with the 10 conversion collet which was gonna get close to $200 and I was able to get a new Sizemaster 10 for not to much above $200 (I’m able to buy at dealer cost) so I saw no reason not to get the entire press instead of fooling with the Supersizer.

Boolit Master
    Wow, I thought I was swimming in loaders! 9000s in 12,20,28,and 410 with an extra 20 that is going to become a 16 this winter. Ive never had a sizemaster or steel but lots of 600s. Lots like 2 in 16ga and 1 each of everything else but 10ga. I keep the progressives set for target loads and run my hunting loads on the 600jrs. Kinda nice to not have to change loaders over for different loads. I dont mind changing the 600s but once a 9000 is right I want to leave it alone.
    If I ran across a sizemaster in 16 for a good price, Id love to tryit. All my others have come to me in trades or for real cheap. They are out there, its kinda like hunting, patiently waiting for a nice mec to show up for a song��
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    My 600 JR V has been flawless. Why would I want to size twice? or am I missing something..

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    My 600 JR V has been flawless. Why would I want to size twice? or am I missing something..
    The 600 Jr does a so-so job sizing real brass, low brass shells, but that's it. The new remington STS's might still be brass, but everything else is steel now, and high brass, forget it. I actually went to using the Lee sizer bushing at first, before I got a super sizer. It tears up steel heads, and can't release a high brass. If I remember right, they don't even size all the way down.

You might get away with it on target loads in some guns, but to get a fully functional setup with the 600jr, I could have more than paid for a brand new sizemaster.

OK, thanks for the clarification..All are chambering in 3 different guns, so if it ain't broke , I'm not gonna worry just yet..

First, I have to admit that I don't shoot Purdy, Parker, or Fox shotguns. For my Remington, Winchester, Savage and Beretta shotguns, ammunition loaded on a Mec 600Jr. works just fine. Gp

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    First, I have to admit that I don't shoot Purdy, Parker, or Fox shotguns. For my Remington, Winchester, Savage and Beretta shotguns, ammunition loaded on a Mec 600Jr. works just fine. Gp
    I don’t have a Purdy , H&H or a Boss . I do have a Westley Richards , WW Greener , several W&C Scott’s , Parker’s , LC Smith’s , A.H. Fox’s and a few from the continent . As well as a pile of Belgian Brownings . Matter of fact the only autoliader I own is a Browning A-5 12 Mag of 1968 vintage . That and the Superposed 12 Mag are what I use the Steelmaster for set at 3” .