Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Boolit sizing die...

Boolit Master

Boolit sizing die...

I I like Lee push-thru boolit sizers and kits, and I heard someplace that Lee will provide push-through sizing dies in custom sizes.
    I think I am in need of a die for my revolver measuring .3575 +- ~.002. Does anyone know if they can/will provide something like that? What might it cost?
    Could I do the same thing by honing out one of their standard .357 sizers, without removing any tempering done to the unit?

Does anyone on the Forum make sizers like that?

I have honed out a few. It doesn’t hurt anything

Boolit Master
    Yep, you can polish out that little bit with sandpaper and a brass rod with a slit in end and it chucked into a drill motor. Maybe put a fine polishing compound for final pass. You're only asking for 1/2 thou, or maybe a tad more.

I don't have any of the Lee sizing dies, but I don't think there is any heat treating done on the dies. Maybe somebody else can chime in on that.

Boolit Buddy
    NOE makes good push through sizers. But if its a LEAD Boolit, cant you just size to .358 and run with it ??? I'm no expert, but .003 just doesn't seem like something you need to worry about. I know size is King, but paying custom wages to a machinist doesn't seem cost effective to me for something that close in size.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Diameter will depend upon as-cast diameter, alloy, hardness and amount of springback and changes due to cellular preciptation or recrystallization in the alloy. It is normal for bullets being reduced 1% in diameter by sizing to emerge about 0.0005-0.0008" larger than the gage pinned diameter of the size die.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I have a Lee push through die marked .357 and use it regularly. The boolits measure .3575 coming out of it.
    I really don't think the tolerances in their dies are all that tight. Just buy one and if it doesn't size quite large enough, polish it open to the size you want.
    I have never seen an instance where .0005 made a significant difference in how things worked at the target.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I'm assuming you are sizing lead boolits - if you need .3575, why wouldn't you just use one of their .358 push through sizers? Unless it is for a very special application, I often shoot boolits that are .002 oversize though a .357 bore and accuracy is just fine. Most times, on a lot of my molds, I use them "as dropped" unless there is a throat issue as far as fit.

Boolit Grand Master

I have "customized" Lee sizing dies up to .002". I used a split dowel with fine emery cloth, oiled, and chucked the rod in a drill. One thing to remember, different alloys will size slightly different, so .0005" can largely depend on alloy "spring back". I would try a .358" die if my cylinder throats were .3575"...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Smile

Thanks, all, for the clarification and suggestions! I guess I have read too much, and think that .001" either way will make more than a small hill of beans difference. Do you think I may be overthinking the whole shimozzle just a little ?

Not casting any more, with my revolver throats measuring .358, and my bore slugging .3564...I suppose ordering boolits sized to .358 will be plenty good, despite guys with more knowledge than I will ever have opining .0005-.001 smaller than throat diameter will be best.

Sometimes, I do tend to make things more complicated than they need to be, and my wife of 49 years, 5 days says I suffer from the "Never Leave Well-Enough Alone" Syndrome: "Yes, Dear!" ...but...I'm sure I don't know what she is talking about!

Thanx again!
    Last edited by sniper; 08-14-2018 at 12:59 PM.

I size my bullets to the throats in my revolvers. I have a .32 H&R magnum with .315” throats, and 100gn xtp’s with a diameter of .312” won’t shoot worth a darn. I size my bullets to .315 and it shoots 1 1/2” groups at 25yds.

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I'm assuming you are sizing lead boolits - if you need .3575, why wouldn't you just use one of their .358 push through sizers? Unless it is for a very special application, I often shoot boolits that are .002 oversize though a .357 bore and accuracy is just fine. Most times, on a lot of my molds, I use them "as dropped" unless there is a throat issue as far as fit.
    I have been doing that for years and getting away with it without problems. Since I started working with 1911 pistols in 45acp, I have found I need to size to fit the throat or it won't go into battery.
    Now I am sizing all my 45acp boolits and getting excellent results.
    The chambers on my 9mm handguns and my revolvers were generous enough to let me get away with being sloppy and still work well. Not so much the good quality 1911 pistols.

Banned
    As far as I know, The only time .0005 might make a difference is if the alloy is way to hard and you need the .0005 to prevent gassing.

my 2¢ worth

Boolit Master

You can order specialized sizes from leeprecision.com, but just expect a long wait time. I ordered a .275 for paper patching my .270 Win. Took a long while, like 6+ weeks. I couldn't find a size close to what I need to hone out. If I need a certain size that I can find commercially that is within .001-.002 I will buy that size and hone it then re-etch it with the correct size.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Buddy
    This is how I have always hone/slightly enlarge sizing dies:
    http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/How...Size%20Die.pdf

Will

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    tazman - yep! I can see how you'd need to be more finicky on the size when dealing with a semi-auto and throat size, getting it to go in to battery, etc. I'm playing with that right now with two different .380s. I haven't loaded for that in a long time - haven't had a pistol in .380 for a long time - now have two and wanting to get a load that will work in both. As they say - not all throats are created equal! Sounds like you're having fun with the 1911!

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    tazman - yep! I can see how you'd need to be more finicky on the size when dealing with a semi-auto and throat size, getting it to go in to battery, etc. I'm playing with that right now with two different .380s. I haven't loaded for that in a long time - haven't had a pistol in .380 for a long time - now have two and wanting to get a load that will work in both. As they say - not all throats are created equal! Sounds like you're having fun with the 1911!
    I am having a ball with them. It is a whole new world since I had an old army pistol instructor spend a little time with me and got me straightened out. I now shoot them nearly as well as I do my revolvers.
    I think I may finally have all the bugs worked out on my loads for them. A couple more trips to the range as successful as the last one and I will be satisfied with that part.