Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: New NOE mold: 460 396 FN

New NOE mold: 460 396 FN

I picked up this mold a little while back and I am impressed. It took a few casts to get the boolits to warm up the point to the point that they would drop out of the mold, but after a while I got a nice slow, lumbering rhythm and cast about 10# of these guys:
    Attachment 225493

NOE makes some really awesome molds!

Boolit Master

I am strongly considering getting that mold. Can you post some close up pictures? Thanks.
    At one with the gun.

I have a NOE mould that is marked 460-405-RF that my 45-70's really like. It seems the same as the 396 so I checked NOE's site and I don't see the 405 listed any more. Is the tooling wearing or what. LOL I don't know why they would change just to drop 9gr. Anyway, if it shoots as good as the 405 it's a winner. Gp

Boolit Master
    Yep, it takes the NOEs a little longer to get warmed up than a LEE would due to the extra "meat" on the mold, but boy do they cast like crazy once you get going!

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Cassidy View Post
    I am strongly considering getting that mold. Can you post some close up pictures? Thanks.
    I cast with the cup points on this batch. I have another NOE mold and I have cast with the hollow point inserts, but they are a little hard to get the boolit off of the point.

When I was casting these, I cast a few rounds right in succession and dropped them back in the pot to get the mold/points hot. Once the mold was hot, the boolits came off the points much easier. The cadence of the mold is kind of slow, so next time I'm going to warm up my 240 grn .430 mold and drop a few of those per drop of the 45s.
    Attachment 225576

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    Yep, it takes the NOEs a little longer to get warmed up than a LEE would due to the extra "meat" on the mold, but boy do they cast like crazy once you get going!
    Oh man - this is soo true. I found myself saying "one more cast and I'll call it" about 5 times... It was just flowing. I should have melted a little more metal and kept going... But then again, it's gonna take me a while to shoot 173 of those things.

44Blam: I wipe just a tiny bit of dielectric silicone grease on the tips of the pins. Then warm the mould on a hot plate. I don't have any problems with the hollow point pins after a few pours to finish warming them. Gp

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    44Blam: I wipe just a tiny bit of dielectric silicone grease on the tips of the pins. Then warm the mould on a hot plate. I don't have any problems with the hollow point pins after a few pours to finish warming them. Gp
    I put a carbon film on them from a lighter and did it a bunch of times in the casting. There is so much metal there that you have to slow it a little as to not get so hot, so I was opening the mold and putting a flame carbon film on the whole mold to cool everything and to make sure it dropped clean.

But, the pins are a different metal... The dielectric silicon grease will help especially with the deep HP pins...