Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What’s your go to plinking ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by El Bibliotecario View Post
    NOT Remington Thunderbolt.

Shortly before the great increase in .22 ammunition prices, I bought 2500 rounds of Thunderbolt at a very good price. While the ammunition is reliable and sufficiently accurate for plinking, it is the LEADING-ist ammunition I have ever experienced. Cleaning the bore after shooting a box is akin to slugging the bore, in that the brush initially pushes out a sleeve of lead.

I had used this brand sporadically for years without such a problem. I don't know if I got a bad lot, or if quality deteriorated.
    I've experienced the same thing. Thunderbolts will never cross my door's threshold again. Because of the experience that I had with keyholing due to leading, and the painful removal process...I've vowed never to buy 22 ammo that isn't copper plated. But it was the Thunderbolts that started it.

I have Winchester 235, Aquilla High Vel solid point, Federal American Eagle, and Federal bulk 525 (blue box)...all shoot great in all my 22s both pistols and rifles.

I was a bit hesitant on the Aquilla ammo (at the time I never heard of it)...but I purchased 4K rounds just after the panic was over. I have to admit...it shoots great but has an odd smell about it. Not sure what type of powder is in it...but is does smell strange...not a huge concern because it performs well.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

CCI Blazers are my favorites.
    They function the best in most every gun that can have problems cycling and feeding other ammo.
    I think that they're very similar to the Mini-mag round nose except without the copper plating.
    Of course every gun has its favorite, but Blazers are the best all around .22LR ammo for me.

Boolit Master
    "Not sure what type of powder is in it...but is does smell strange...not a huge concern because it performs well"

So you've never shot any ELEY target ammo? It's their priming compound, it's the smell of winning!

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    So you've never shot any ELEY target ammo? It's their priming compound, it's the smell of winning!
    I'll buy that. I never have shot any ELEY...maybe I should...I could be a winner too. Actually...I don't shoot any competition. I just shoot for the fun of it and a few tin cans now and then can't tell the difference between target ammo and the cheap stuff....and neither can a squirrel

Thanx for the reply on the priming compound smell....appreciated.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master
    you know, every time I see somebody swear off Thunderbolts, I have to smile. More for me. My Marlin 39 loves them. My 10-22 gobbles them up like candy, as do my other 22's. Yeah they are dirty, but I clean my guns, and in my Marlin, they are the most accurate of the bulk 22's. albeit the Federal champions do well. The Remington golden bullets, on the other hand, have not worked as well for me.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Across the board, CCI Blazers have shot well in every gun I've shot them in, rifle and pistol. They were unavailable in my neck of the woods for a few years, I'm glad to see they are plentiful again.

In my recent summer adventures with my new Ruger American Rimfire, CCI Minimags have been consistently the most accurate, but the Blazers are mighty close on their heels.

Regarding Remington Thunderbolts, in all fairness I never found that they leaded like previous posters claimed, and they shot well enough (I confined them to handgun use). But I did get sick of five different reports in a five shot string!

Bang. BANG. Baaang. Pfft. BANG!!!!

I couldn't believe some of the lightest reports didn't lodge a bullet in the barrel!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123