Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What’s your go to plinking ammo?

Boolit Grand Master

What’s your go to plinking ammo?

Now that 22lr prices have normalized for the most part, I feel it’s tjme to restock as time and money allows. What’s everyone’s favorite plinking ammo? I’d love to shoot mini mags all day but that gets pricy compared to plinking fodder.

I like the federal bulk packs. Seems to be fairly clean (especially compared to thunderduds) and reasonable accurate.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Winchester 333 and 555. I tried the cheap bulk ammo last winter. It shoots .5" groups in my cz452 ultralux super exclusive at 50 yards and I can hit range brass every shot at 30 yards with my browning buck mark 5.5" target pistol. It beat out my old favorite Remington golds for accuracy. The cheap Winchesters grouped tighter than about a dozen others I tried that day. I tried three different Aguila rounds and shot 8-9" with them at 50 yards. It knocks squirrels pretty good.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-13-2018 at 09:26 PM.

The new Federal red box of .22s is my go to box 550 for cheap 22’s
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Winchester 333 and 555. I tried the cheap bulk ammo last winter. It shoots .5" groups in my cz452 ultralux super exclusive at 50 yards and I can hit range brass every shot at 30 yards with my browning buck mark 5.5" target pistol. It beat out my old favorite Remington golds for accuracy.
    I have no luck with the white box Winchesters in pistols other than my Ace. Fine in a Spike's AR22 and my 10/22s though. The Federal Champions cycle everything I own in 22lr so that's always my first choice with Thunderbolts a close second.

CCI standard velocity long rifle for my bolt actions and revolver; CCI mini mag for autos. They are worth the extra dollar(s) IMO.

Boolit Master
    Federal Auto Match bulk pack from wally world is about as good as any I've tried, and the 22/45 eats it right up.

Boolit Master

Federal American Eagle for me (the red/black box).
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

I like CCI 22LR, and i use those for hunting. My 22 will blow out bulseyes at 50 yards with it if i do my part. For the kids i give them bulk what ever box i could find though the Federals do decent to make the kids happy enough. Federals are atleast minute of a rabbit. I stat far away from Winchchester 22LR, my guns dont like them. I find that Tight Group or Red Dot will make the same balisticaly similar ammo in any calibre i own that is just as cheap and accurate.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

What’s your go to plinking ammo?

Not Remington! I am partial to ammo that goes “bang!”. CCI, Winchester or Federal. Standard vel for hunting tree rats. Run em through Paco’s accurizor. Adds more thump!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    CCI mini mag solids in all my hand guns, CCI SV solids and HP in rifles. I consider CCI plinking ammo, when it gets serious it's ELEY.

Boolit Master
    Aguila,CCI,Geco and what ever else is on sale.

Banned

i like accurate plinking, so whatever each rimfire gun likes best. right now that's mini-mags for the autos and cci standards for the s/a revolver and s/s bolt.

Fed Auto Match for the pair of 22/45's as said above they eat that stuff up.

I did buy 2,000 rounds of CCI Mini Mags for the rifle.
    And a thousand rounds of .22mag for the Heritage Rough Rider.

Pretty good stash on hand.

Never had a problem with Federal .22lr ammo. So it remains a favorite.
    CCI and Win run neck and neck right behind Fed.

The only 22ammo that I have bought since Obama was CCI standard velocity for plinking with
    S&W 41. I was lucky and was sitting on inventory of 22 ammo that I bought at auction from a
    shop that went under. I have been around when others were having fits with Bulk 22s. The two
    that seemed to be the worst were bulk under the Browning label and Remington. I don't know
    who makes the 22s for Browning but I was surprised by the poor quality of the Remington. I've
    got a couple cases of Remington Gold bulk from pre panic days as well as Bricks and 100pks
    and a misfire was unusual. I've got quite a few 22 rifles & handguns, most older model classics
    no scopes and for plinking with irons they all do well with Winchester. The target guns I buy what
    ever shoots best in them.

Federal Auto Match has been fine in lots of my rimfires, but my go-to cheap ammo is CCI Blazer. Love that stuff.

Plinking go to

I find that everthing goes bang in this Bersa Thunder .22 ( thiry six years old) except some very old lightning rounds that were stored at the mercy of Houston type weather in the shop. Have a relatively new Marlin semi auto that gets CCI solids. Old Winchester semi-auto and other pistol/revolvers. Have had very few ftf rounds of any kind. I don't shoot as much as some of you guys and I suppose I got lucky and bought from the right batch. Have a few different makes of bricks to choose from. No favorite one I suppose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180814_083411.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    41 Mag!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    41 Mag!
    Didn't know they made a 41 mag rimfire...…………..
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

In Remembrance

As far as .22 goes it is what ever comes out of the ammo cans stash. I have about 10k put back for the kids to have fun with. My go-to plinking is 8mm Mauser with cast and a load of 2400. Pleasant to shot and plenty accurate.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Back when there seemed to be no 22s available, got busy and worked up a load for my police service six .357 magnum Lee 105 SWC Bought 322 lbs of ingots 1 and 2 lb with LYMAN marked on them so who knows what the mix is. They shoot well Hi-Tek Old Gold. Chronographed at 1330 fps. Unique powder. Cost less than 22s then. They will penetrate a lot of pine boards and shoot to poa.
    Last edited by OldBearHair; 08-16-2018 at 11:06 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast