Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unusual Case Forming & Trimming situation

Banned
    I like the way you think. the groove really doesn't need to be round, but round looks better.
    You could cut a dado then cut a cross dado for the stop (looks like a cross) and glue in the stop then adjust the jig until it lined up correctly with the blade then fastened/clamp it to the saw. OR just cut a groove, put a piece of square stock in the grove (for a stop) and clamp the square stock where you need it.

To get fancy, Maybe a guy could incorporate a micrometer adjustment off a powder measure so you could fine adjust for 300 BO and 7.62x25 Tokarev but I think moving the jig would be soo much easier.

I bought the 300BO jig off e-bay and bought a HF saw. the saw died 2 days after I got it (3 pieces of brass short of what I was going to cut). So I returned it for a refund.
    Last edited by Grmps; 08-19-2018 at 02:08 PM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Ack, I hate it when stuff dies on me. At least it was in warranty for you!

Boolit Master

I am up to 3K cases so far on my HF saw, all I did was replace the blade (after the first 1K) to one that cuts smoother than the factory one. I did buy extra blades and belts when I got the saw, but have yet to use them.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    I have cut 1000's of 223 off and 30-06 and 338 win over 10 years still going strong, did replace blade once.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master
    Cheap and easy jigs for use with the HF saw. Has a few vids of them in operation at the bottom of the pages. Neighbors might not like the noise.

http://www.squirreldaddy.com/Cartrid...mers-s/294.htm

Interesting design; It doesn't match my needs (shortening a 308 type case) but the idea could be adapted - Thanks! And VERY good to know that this chop saw works well for some folks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    This video looks like an even easier way maybe and would use that HF Chop Saw, that's SPEEDY and if you put an adjustment device in the wood block used for spacing you could fine adjust it.

Now if I can figure out where some of the finished rounds went I can ship them out, sigh. Getting things done but slowly - At least it's cooling off here now.
    I used very similar setup, except I used 2 layers of plywood to create a channel and later I added a bolt to control the cut depth. Worked fine until I found a local guy who charged 5 cents to convert my brass (24 hour turn around) and I said screw all this labor, I'll just pay him $25 bucks for 500 pieces and be done, my time is worth more. He has several Dillon stations with case trimmer motors he showed me, when you raise the ram it trims and deb-burs in seconds and with each pull of the handle a converted piece fall to the tray. All he has do to is pull the handle. he also asked me if I just want to swap my brass for already converted cases so I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    I like the way you think. the groove really doesn't need to be round, but round looks better.
    You could cut a dado then cut a cross dado for the stop (looks like a cross) and glue in the stop then adjust the jig until it lined up correctly with the blade then fastened/clamp it to the saw. OR just cut a groove, put a piece of square stock in the grove (for a stop) and clamp the square stock where you need it.

To get fancy, Maybe a guy could incorporate a micrometer adjustment off a powder measure so you could fine adjust for 300 BO and 7.62x25 Tokarev but I think moving the jig would be soo much easier.

I bought the 300BO jig off e-bay and bought a HF saw. the saw died 2 days after I got it (3 pieces of brass short of what I was going to cut). So I returned it for a refund.
    The micrometer would be waste of money. The amount of play in that HF hinge is at least 10 thousands if not 20. I kept messing with adjusting screw I added as a stopper so I don't have to trim more than 5 thousands later but when I realized how much play it had - forget it, I been meaning to rebuild it, I am in the process of converting to 221 fireball and soon 7.62 x 40 WT.

After I posted I decided I am going to do something about that play in the hinge of the saw so I machined a thicker rod for the hinge and now there is almost no play and accuracy is spot on! +/- .001. Take a look at how quick the cutting process is: https://youtu.be/ORfPgmkmdpo
    Last edited by dimaprok; 09-04-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Pretty nice. Wish I could machine a thicker rod for mine, at least i'll beat the heck out of hacksawing these cases!

Boolit Master
    There's a cottage industry of people making trimming jigs to use with the HF chop saw. Check eBay.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    I use a Case Holder for a Wilson case trimmer to hold the case in the mini chop saw. The case holder holds the case square to the table. All that is needed is a stop block to set length. Cases cut square and accurately. The Wilson case holder deals with case taper that cause crooked cutting on a saw. A single jig could be made, then swap case holders for different calibers. Really handy for '06 to 8x57, 308 to 300 Savage.

Boolit Buddy
    I see some replace the blade for smoother cuts.What blade do you use?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123