MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unusual Case Forming & Trimming situation

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Unusual Case Forming & Trimming situation

Having some reloading issues here. I am in a too-small apartment and need a better answer. For trimming cases like .300 AAC Blackout some day, and for trimming 308 cases to 45ACP shotshell cases, you cannot really use a Forster or RCBS style trimmer - since you are going to trim the entire neck away from the shoulder, then the entire shoulder away, and a good chunk of the cylindricalish portion of the case.) I could get a chop saw maybe from "Horror Fright" (aka Harbor Freight) and saw them to a shorter length, that would beat the current method of running them into a sizing die, hacksawing most of the excess off, then filing the case down to match the die.

What do people use who're doing this more commercially? (I only have a small spot in the kitchen for the grinder stand my reloading rig is on, using that there sucks but at least some case forming is doable - No air circulation etc. etc. and it's not "ideal" in any way. I don't have access to a machine shop but know some people to ask. Maybe a Forster or RCBS style pilot would be possible to make, then you could saw off the excess and then power trim it? It's taking way too long, not to speak of having misplaced a bunch I've done, this living alone with being disabled mess beats not breathing but bleah!)

Planning to change some things soon that happened while I was sick, but that has to wait. Want to move reloading into another room but have to move some things beforehand!

HF mini chop saw, lyman or other power trimmer ( elec. drill ) and a LARGE PLASTIC table cloth - brass fillings make a mess. Also inside & outside chamfer tools - in the drill.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

When I make 357 Herretts from 30-30 cases I use a file type trim die and a hacksaw. Its a little bit messy but it keeps everything near the press. The HF cutoff saw sounds good.

Banned
    I converted 30-06 into 8MM using a HF 1/8 in. - 1-1/8 in. Mini Tubing Cutter to remove most of the excess material

TY folks; The filing is about as bad in terms of time and brass bits flying all over as hacksawing is, maybe I can calibrate the chop saw to cut almost all the excess off though, while still keeping my 3 remaining fingers!

Boolit Master
    Mini tubing cutter...then final trim

Boolit Master

HF saw, with a jig inside a plastic container to catch the brass dust and cutoffs. Here I'm making my first thousand .277 Wolverine, the jig I had purchased for the 300 Blackout had just enough adjustment to do these too, but they make one specifically for a few calibers. I have another jig, the one with a groove, but this one works the best.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UtVY8tY.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	225485
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

There are co-op work shops opening up around the country, http://sodomakerspace.com, is one example. You might want to check if there is one near you. The rate per hour might make it worth it.

I know of three in South East Michigan, two of the three wouldn't bat an eye at someone prepping brass. The third one in Ann Arbor (think the University of Michigan) would probably go into a group heart attack

Boolit Buddy
    Converted 223 Brass to 7.62x40 on a 14" bandsaw with a non-ferrous blade. I made a sled out of a small piece of plywood (maybe 8x12") with a wood fence and used a screw to adjust the length with, and I didn't spend anything to do it. The bandsaw is slow enough I won't need anymore fingers. I'm already mostly deff, I couldn't stand listening to any Harbor Freight tools screaming at me. Sorry I can't post pictures yet, don't know why it just won't work for me. I hope you get it all worked out, you shouldn't have to work so hard to have a little fun.

Boolit Master
    I used a file and trim diet form,sawsall to cut excess,file to clean and then debut. Tried a hacksaw at first that was too slow so I used a sawmill much faster.

Boolit Buddy
    I've done some by making a jig to set the length of the cases and cut with a pneumatic die grinder with a cut-off wheel.
    Not quiet or mess free or 100% accurate but can get a pile close enough for a final trim quickly.

get yourself one of these and you will get the job done in fine shape https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-m...saw-62136.html
    I have cut down .45 basic cases for several years and I have never changed the blade yet and the cut is just as clean as ever.
    I made a wood block with a V and I also have a round groove to hold the case with a stop at the head so all cuts are exact then just a couple turns with the Wilson case trimmer to get them exact.

Boolit Master
    I use a parting tool in my lathe. I can really crank them out. for other trimming I use a lyman chuck in my milling machine.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    get yourself one of these and you will get the job done in fine shape https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-m...saw-62136.html
    I have cut down .45 basic cases for several years and I have never changed the blade yet and the cut is just as clean as ever.
    I made a wood block with a V and I also have a round groove to hold the case with a stop at the head so all cuts are exact then just a couple turns with the Wilson case trimmer to get them exact.
    That's exactly what I was trying to do with a homemade arrangement.
    I might have to see if I can find one of those.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    I use a parting tool in my lathe. I can really crank them out. for other trimming I use a lyman chuck in my milling machine.
    Not sure the lathe would fit in his apartment

LOL good point, Grmps - On the other hand, I could toss out the stove and put a small lathe in its place? LOL

Boolit Master
    the old atlas 6 x 18 would work nice. also could run across a watch makers lathe. there are a few desk top lathes also.

Custom made C&H die with Honey Badger trimmer on a Dillon. Haven't done it, but looked into it. It should work.

Does anyone know where to get an 8x57 jig for the chop saw or must I make my own?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Does anyone know where to get an 8x57 jig for the chop saw or must I make my own?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Didn't see one In my search, I ended up with the RCBS trimmer die BUT only used it for full-length sizing I much prefer using the tubing cutter, cleaner margins.

I've seen people use a Dremel to rough trim brass

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast