RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Caliber wars and other silly things

Boolit Grand Master

When I was a kid we only had a 22 and a 410 and they did it all and were the best guns ever! My father in law was a Jack O'Connor fan and his 270 was the best ever but when we all went deer hunting his sons 308 and my 303 killed them just as dead. 6.5 as an elephant gun worked for Bell. In actual testing my 6.5x55 with a 26"barrel was only 50 fps off from a new 6.5 creedmoor, wow I'll bet the deer are cringing now that I have 50 more fps.

Boolit Master
    5 pages of arguing over why we argue!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Jaque Janaviac View Post
    5 pages of arguing over why we argue!
    Mmmmm, true. I guess the truth hurts when it ought too...

Guess it's part venting part analysis a dash of frustration over things we can't change and a pinch of crankiness...at least on my part....

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Cabin fever and the winter just started!

Different strokes for different folks. Anyone ever look at their requirements (or desires) ballistically before purchasing a new gun? Realize that most designs are re-purposed military. The 'classics' just work or are so readily available they make sense. Some 'wildcats' out perform the parent. Same goes with the type of gun, milsurps, levers, SA or bolt. What serves YOUR purpose?
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Different strokes for different folks. Anyone ever look at their requirements (or desires) ballistically before purchasing a new gun? Realize that most designs are re-purposed military. The 'classics' just work or are so readily available they make sense. Some 'wildcats' out perform the parent. Same goes with the type of gun, milsurps, levers, SA or bolt. What serves YOUR purpose?
    They all do! They are all fun! As for ballistics for the purpose, I haven't really done that. I kind of pick and choose them to fill voids, imaginary or real.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Cabin fever and the winter just started!
    Hear, Hear!!

Fun is a purpose. So is tinkering. Smiles and giggles, yea, bring them on. Reminds me of a fellow that shot steel buffalo @1200 yds with 30/30. He did hit it. Try it with your 223? Squirrels with a 45/70? Yes, you can!
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Well here it is way past my bedtime , and I have read every post on these 5 pages and I still don't know which deer rifle is best. Guess I'll go to bed and check in again tomorrow.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Banned
    its FUN to argue things. SOMETIMES when someone decides to spend 1600 on a new rifle and scope, and starts buying ammunition that costs twice what his current ammunition for his .308 Winchester does.... YOU GOTZ TO SAY SOMETHING.

My favorite has always been the "30wcf is useless for deer" but yet .327 federal IS EXCELLENT for deer.. OR the "buckshot at 50 yards is EXCELLENT.. but a .357 magnum with a cast bullet generating 550# of energy isn't good enough at 50 yards"

BUT ill always admit,,,, if someone else spends 3 months defending their purchase of the "penultimate" type 3 mlock free float handguard for their AR.... its always fun to point that out when they get a different handguard for it...

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I keep buying different guns in different calibers thinking at some point I am going to find THE ONE.
    Now I have several very nice rifles and handguns that I can't shoot very well.
    After an experience I had a few months ago, I refuse to let anyone else shoot my guns.
    I let a man who was know to be an excellent shot shoot my 1911 and he shot a magazine full of my handloads into a tiny little raggedy hole at 15 yards. I know it won't shoot that well because it never did it for me.

I guess I will continue my search.
    Yeah, I can beat that! After YEARS of searching, I finally ended up with my prized Colt Delta Elite! It was a proud moment for me, I assure you! So I grabbed some ammo, finished out the rest of the gunshow and headed home. Now, I’m “one of those guys”, I NEED TO KNOW “what’ll she do”! So once Home I immediately called a buddy to go shoot it! Of course he was game for this! We get there, and before I can do anything, he’s loading it up and shooting a beer can! Three shots, “I know I’m hitting it, but it’s not moving?” We go look, three holes, right through the can!
    I finally got to fire it, I’m not the best shot, but was impressed with its accuracy. Then things went south! I let his wife shoot it, it got really ugly! (Stick with me, it gets really funny!) she out shot both of us! Never seen anything like it! That woman could not miss with MY GUN! All 145lbs of her! I’ve been forced to offer them (read HER) first chance if I ever sell that gun because she loves it so much.
    Anyway, a few months later they are at one of the now defunct sporting goods stores, seriously sorry I can’t remember the name, he and she where talking about a 10mm. The idiots behind the counter, oh my! “Lady, there’s no way you’ll be able to control that beast of a gun! The recoil will beat you up to no end!” My friend is a much calmer, and tolerant person than I, calmly “Really? A buddy of mine has one, and she outshoots him with his own gun!”
    So yeah, I’m the guy that gets outshot with his unmanageable 10mm, BY A WOMAN!
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Master
    A very good mate of mine is a real lover of the 30/06 and all else pales in its presents, yet when I had my 375 whelen made and took my first deer he concluded the 375 was the perfect 30/06. I guess the moral of the story is, who cares what your favourite calibre is as long as you enjoy the company of a good mate while shooting it. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    Well here it is way past my bedtime , and I have read every post on these 5 pages and I still don't know which deer rifle is best. Guess I'll go to bed and check in again tomorrow.
    Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Fun is a purpose. So is tinkering. Smiles and giggles, yea, bring them on. Reminds me of a fellow that shot steel buffalo @1200 yds with 30/30. He did hit it. Try it with your 223? Squirrels with a 45/70? Yes, you can!
    I used to hunt squirrels with a 50 cal muzzle loader just for fun. It made head shots mandatory.

Boolit Master
    I think we all have our personal preferences. I know I do.
    I like .264 calibers
    I really like 10MM and .41 Magnum

Like ice cream we got many flavors to choose from.

The caliber I think is best is the one I am shooting at the time. I bought a 'black rifle' cause I wanted one. When my Stepdad passed, I was gifted an A3-03, and I have had 'sporterized' to what I like, completely wiping out any market value. When 22 ammo got in such short supply, I bought a Mossberg 223 bolt rifle, I love it and use it for hunting 'squeeks', as well as my many 22lr's, I claim they are for my grandsons-4 of them, and I was gifted a Remington 720 bolt in 300 Savage when my mom died, and that will be passed on to my son. I am not bragging but very thankful for these guns, all this just to say I have what I have due partly to circumstances, and some by choice. I love my guns and mine are not better than anyone's, they are just mine. I am having so much fun with them, I wish you could see the very satisfied smile on my face. My hope for ALL of you is to have as much fun with yours. Be blessed and walk in peace.

I've never met a caliber I couldn't use for hunting something. Before you say .25 acp, nope;
    I've taken two squirrels with a Raven!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    Yeah, I can beat that! After YEARS of searching, I finally ended up with my prized Colt Delta Elite! It was a proud moment for me, I assure you! So I grabbed some ammo, finished out the rest of the gunshow and headed home. Now, I’m “one of those guys”, I NEED TO KNOW “what’ll she do”! So once Home I immediately called a buddy to go shoot it! Of course he was game for this! We get there, and before I can do anything, he’s loading it up and shooting a beer can! Three shots, “I know I’m hitting it, but it’s not moving?” We go look, three holes, right through the can!
    I finally got to fire it, I’m not the best shot, but was impressed with its accuracy. Then things went south! I let his wife shoot it, it got really ugly! (Stick with me, it gets really funny!) she out shot both of us! Never seen anything like it! That woman could not miss with MY GUN! All 145lbs of her! I’ve been forced to offer them (read HER) first chance if I ever sell that gun because she loves it so much.
    Anyway, a few months later they are at one of the now defunct sporting goods stores, seriously sorry I can’t remember the name, he and she where talking about a 10mm. The idiots behind the counter, oh my! “Lady, there’s no way you’ll be able to control that beast of a gun! The recoil will beat you up to no end!” My friend is a much calmer, and tolerant person than I, calmly “Really? A buddy of mine has one, and she outshoots him with his own gun!”
    So yeah, I’m the guy that gets outshot with his unmanageable 10mm, BY A WOMAN!
    My wife could ALWAYS shoot better than me unless I went out and practiced first with 500 or 1,000 rounds. She never practiced but dang, she was unbelievable.

Women aren't out there to just blow **** up. They are there to hit their target and they take their time doing it. Most of the women I've taught how to shoot will listen to what you tell them and then do it that way. And within a short time, less than a half hour, they get it down pat. The guys usually go the opposite way. They get it within a short time but lose it as soon as they start rushing the process of learning. It's tough to get those guys back on track. (Sometimes, I'm one of those guys, too!)

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    My wife could ALWAYS shoot better than me unless I went out and practiced first with 500 or 1,000 rounds. She never practiced but dang, she was unbelievable.

Women aren't out there to just blow **** up. They are there to hit their target and they take their time doing it. Most of the women I've taught how to shoot will listen to what you tell them and then do it that way. And within a short time, less than a half hour, they get it down pat. The guys usually go the opposite way. They get it within a short time but lose it as soon as they start rushing the process of learning. It's tough to get those guys back on track. (Sometimes, I'm one of those guys, too!)

--Wag--
    My experience exactly...there are still playing cards stapled to a wall at our local range my wife shot in half (as it was facing edgewise)...she did this a few years ago on our first trip out to teach her to shoot a rifle.....first time.... embarrassed me man it took me years of practice as a kid to do that.....

I do, however, now always take out the trash in a serpentine manner to the curb and back........

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    People should be careful not to let their wives hear them arguing about which is the best caliber. If mine ever heard me declare one the best, she would want me to get rid of all the others I have.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast