Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Caliber wars and other silly things

Boolit Master
    My method is just to have so many different ones that it's foolish to try and rank them.

I’m a cartridge snob, I’m a bad man.
    I try not to be pushy in conversations, but explain MY reasoning and MY experience’s on MY choices. Some people can’t shoot a .22 right, some people want a .50cal, it’s trying to get the right caliber/gun for that person and their perceived needs.
    I love and respect Glocks, but I can’t shoot one to save my life, they don’t fit my hands. I don’t buy Glocks anymore, easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Master
    I think you need to match up what your doing and how far your doing it. I told someone the other day i prob wouldn’t take a shot w my 45-70 past 100 yards w open sights because that’s as far as I’m good w it. If I told people you can’t shoot past 100 yards open sights w a 45-70 because you won’t hit what your aiming at, I’d be repeating my blammering idiot routine again (here all week try the veal) because there’s people out there w the right sights, the practice, and reloading procedures that can do the repedibly out to 400 plus. Because I can’t do it I can’t tell you you can’t. Now if I personally saw you being a idget lobbing bullets at the range like a motar gunner at the range and you thought hitting 30 percent then telling me your going to quigly down under a antelope w your Italian sharps and I was close enough to you to say something personally maybe I’d mention your a terrible shot and save your money and not bother even trying but there are super capable people here to debate them to a hole in the ground while I’m the 100 yard man behind a computer.

About calibers debates:

30-30 vs 35 remington or 444 vs 45-70 or 45 colt reloaded vs 44 mag reloaded hahaha. This or these are true apples to apples debates. It’s a spitting contest, tie snatching debate that goes nowhere. There are some values to the debates like well 444 marlin is great because you can buy pistol bullets by the 100 and 45-70 bullets are in boxes of 50, 30-30 is better in my opinion because of casings are super common and so is loaded ammo, 45 colt does the same thing at lower pressure prob a better cast bullet performer. Now when people try to impose that or those thoughts as the sole reason to why their right then it’s laughable. I like 45-70 because I have one hahaha that’s it. 35 rem vs 30-30 who cares which one has 20 more lbs of energy at 200 yards or whatever, pick a revolver caliber and forget about it. I have my preferences and I like what I’m doing . Worst thing ever is “hey guys need help I just bought a 30-30 Winchester from the pawn shop. What mold should I get?” ....... “why didn’t you get a 35 rem?” “(Insert further debate not related to topic of what mold”

Boolit Master
    By the way, I’m a 45-70 guy, a 35 remington guy, and a 44 mag guy and I think everyone should be happy if they own a 444 marlin instead of a 45-70, a 30-30 because they kill deer just the same, and 45 colt is just fine.

Boolit Master
    my asperly aimless is the best!

.1500 magnum .....doesn't kick and the bullet is so fast it gets there yesterday!

Boolit Master
    I had a .444 once. I never did like it..... My neighbor across the street had one and loved his. I'm just a single shot man......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    And that is just fine. I think I ended up being a 45-70 guy based solely on the reason a new marlin in 45-70 cost 550 and a older 444 marlin cost upwards in price. That being said I think they practically are kissing cousins.

Boolit Master
    I changed my mind on various calibers over the last 40 something years. I'd like say 30-06, then try a .308. About 5 years ago I read a review in Shotgun News about the Lipsey 44 Specials in the Ruger Blackhawk. Got one in and it is now my favorite for shooting and reloading. I never thought much about a 32 S&W Long; then awhile back saw a Smith Model 1903 Hand ejector with fixed sights at the local shop, and bought it on a whim. Had a blast regulating my hand loads to line up with the sights.

This will probably jinx me, but most calibers can be interesting with a possible exception of a 25 auto. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

Boolit Master
    I like 45-70 because I have one hahaha that’s it. 35 rem vs 30-30 who cares which one has 20 more lbs of energy at 200 yards or whatever, pick a revolver caliber and forget about it. I have my preferences and I like what I’m doing . Worst thing ever is “hey guys need help I just bought a 30-30 Winchester from the pawn shop. What mold should I get?” ....... “why didn’t you get a 35 rem?” “(Insert further debate not related to topic of what mold”

'Why didn't you get a "x"'- guy is as much fun as the Armslist guy who wants msrp +15% on a well used slightly abused firearm. I've learned to no longer try to engage many people on gun trader type classified ads...it is either reasonable or it's not...if not I let sleeping dogs lay.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    People tend to self-validate.

I purchased "X" so therefore "X" must be the best thing on the market.
    That is the basically correct answer. Folks get their egos all wrapped up in their choices. Therefore an attack on their choice or their opinion is an attack on them.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

The 44 Magnum is by far the best cartridge ever produced, hands down. That's my so very knowledgeable opinion and I'm stickin' to it. I've loaded everything from 123 gr. balls for my grasshopper and/or gopher hunts, up to some 300 gr. RNFP slugs for my T-Rex expeditions. No other cartridge is equal to the .44 (even though I've never had any experience with them). So there, I said it and I ain't listenin' to any other inferior opinions...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

It is because most haven't learned the secrete my grandfather told me when I was a little boy.
    Every year he would kill a wild hog , sometimes two , on our annual hunting trip. I would go with my Paw-Paw while the others went off in search of white tail deer. At night heated caliber wars broke out, each touting his favorite 30-06, 30-30 , 30-40 Krag , 270 Win , 257 Roberts...as best. But the old man never got involved in them .
    But my Paw-Paw would always hunt with an old single shot 22 LR Winchester Rifle and every year he got a hog, squirrels , rabbit even birds ! So I ask him why he doesn't use a big rifle like the others ? And he tells me "because they haven't learned the secrete" and tells me " Boy, the truth is ,it doesn't much matter what you shoot a deer or hog with....what does matter is where you place that bullet !"
    And that's the honest truth. I've seen that old man kill many a hog with just one shot of that 22 LR.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    POLL" "What is the best caliber?"

Let's make it a short poll . . . the one that works best for you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    POLL" "What is the best caliber?"

Let's make it a short poll . . . the one that works best for you.
    Ha, unpin grenades much?!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Again we are forgetting about the good book and the pitfalls of a prideful being. Boasting and talking down about others and their choices in life is not what Jesus would do or did. James wrote very well about the failings of man in a very concise way that should be easily understood by any person who can reason and read. He wrote about the sin of coveting another's whatever (wife-house-riches whatever) and this sin of coveting is what our society's advertising industry is based upon. It causes dissension and people feel that without the latest technological goodie they will have not yet arrived. Again we want to be prideful in what we own etc and we are dead wrong here. As the child of parents who grew up during the Great Depression of the 30's I learned early on that the "wanna demands" were not practical nor appreciated in our family. Dad bought a car and kept it for at least 10-15 years before he would buy another. There was never a color TV in our house when the B&W TV still worked. I remember taking out all the tubes from the TV and putting them wrapped in newspaper in a carton and taking them to the drugstore which had a tube testing station. There I would test each tube and replace any marginal performers at a reasonable cost. Finally in '61 we got a TV w/o tubes and it was a color TV. It lasted 6 months and we dragged out the old Pilot B&W and soldiered on for another 6 months until we could afford to fix the fancy one. Fussing and fighting over nonsense is also sinful according to Timothy in the good book.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Banned

Ginger or Mary Ann?

Tastes great or less filling?

Important stuff, I tell ya! Has to be discussed!

I keep buying different guns in different calibers thinking at some point I am going to find THE ONE.
    Now I have several very nice rifles and handguns that I can't shoot very well.
    After an experience I had a few months ago, I refuse to let anyone else shoot my guns.
    I let a man who was know to be an excellent shot shoot my 1911 and he shot a magazine full of my handloads into a tiny little raggedy hole at 15 yards. I know it won't shoot that well because it never did it for me.

I guess I will continue my search.

I am old school, so if I could have only one center fire rifle, it would be 30-06 and a handloading set up. A 310 tool would do.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have got an ear full on here when even mentioning a 25 or 32 for self-defense. I have a wide variety of calibers and the only bad ones are the ones I don't own yet but am trying my best to correct this. And to mr percle your grandad hit the nail on the head. I am perfectly happy to carry a 22 or 25 as I am with my 41 mag. If you feel you need more gun then by all means go for it. For me it's all about hitting where you aim.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Ginger or Mary Ann?

Tastes great or less filling?

Important stuff, I tell ya! Has to be discussed!
    Ginger all the way!!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast