RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Caliber wars and other silly things

Boolit Master

Caliber wars and other silly things

I have a question for the forum, what is up with caliber wars?!

I guess you could throw in any number of highly opinionated topics here and still draw a similar parallel (Ford vs Chevy, brand of boots, power tools, or any other shade or variety of choice any given person can make)

I have seen a multitude of arguments backed by online data or point by point reasons caliber "x" won't work at all but claiber "y" is the best thing ever....and honestly I'm tempted to throw my opinon in often as well but have to bring myself back to sanity and see there is literally no benefit in it at all....*disclaimer*...this post is in no way an invitation for caliber war argument.

My question is why do we do this? I have heard guys argue for the humane treatment of game we are hunting but they also treat their pets and livestock absolutely horribly...doesn't seem to be an honest reason for one choice over another when actions clearly contradict.

Almost unilaterally...any gun forum has a caliber war over something...and I'm not talking about discussion or disagreement but full on argument with personal feelings and identity attached. Names and insults and words I wouldn't want my mother to hear....but why?

I dunno if this is as big a mystery to anyone else but in a very genuine way I'd like to understand the driver for this so maybe we can collectively try to diffuse this craziness and see we are all normal healthy sane individuals enjoying a sport together...not mortal enemies out to undermine with personal choice of caliber.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have noticed the same thing with ford and chevy and dodge. I have owned all three and they all break . But all three have been very reliable so it really doesn’t matter to me as long as it works

Banned
    People tend to self-validate.

I purchased "X" so therefore "X" must be the best thing on the market.

Boolit Master
    It started when Grog argued with Kror about the stick vs. the rock.

Banned
    It could be what worked best for them first!

I have my opinions... I dont have to argue about others choices if they are different than mine though. I dont know why others do that. Maybe its because they are childish jerks, or because they think they are better than the other person... maybe its cause they aint got nothing better to do. Who knows... I quit trying to figure it out long time ago, I just do what I do, and try to live the way that I believe is pleasing to the lord.

Glock = Purfection
    Case closed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I think it's the usual mess that happens when humans (try to) communicate

Besides, 257 Roberts so na na na! LOL

We DO tend to get rather attached to our calibers; There are harder hitting ones than that one, but while it'll hold a special place in my heart, it may not in yours. So sad for you! LOL

(Yeppers, insomnia has me in a weird mood - so take this mostly tongue in cheek! I do think there's a lot to the "because it worked well for them" - same thing I'm saying; That caliber that you killed your first deer with or shot your first 1/4 MOA group with, has a lot of emotion attached for it, to you - So it's great, *to you*. Nothing wrong with that, just that others may not feel the same about it.)

Boolit Master

John,
    Unfortunately, we see too many things nowadays devolve into a heated argument or spitting contest when all that's really called for is polite, civil discussion of the topic at hand (without throwing insult at others who might disagree.) Maybe I'm not as jaded, but I see a lot of good, decent discussion around topics of caliber, bullets/boolets, moulds, powders, primers, firearms, etc. especially when the topic is started with a simple request for information. Normally, I'll see the discussions go along the lines of "I really like so and so because..." and folks then express why/why not they feel/think the way they do. Honestly, I've learned a great deal from the more experienced members of this site (and other sites as well,) mostly by reading the responses and using them to make a more informed decision. I've tried quite a few things mentioned here...some worked out for me, some didn't. In all cases, it got me thinking beyond my limited knowledge and experience. My $0.02. Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    It started when Grog argued with Kror about the stick vs. the rock.
    LOL! I side with Kror. All the rest of you know nothing!

IMO there are no bad calibers, some are just more interesting than others.

Some may be more difficult to get to work with a particular combination.
    But thus far I have found no caliber that could not be accurate with a little time and load development.

There are several higher speed calibers that are quite common that just don't tickle my fancy.
    .270win, .30-06, 7mm, .308. Good calibers, and many of them in fine accurate rifles.

Just not of a lot of interest to me. I used to lump the old .30-30 in there, until I happened to find a pair of Win 94's at the pawn shop at semi reasonable prices. They shoot good, love the long neck on the .30-30 brass. Made for cast in many respects.

Slowed down a bit it makes a pretty interesting rifle.

But I see no point on beating up on calibers. I have no dog in this fight, nothing to gain by saying this rocks and that sucks. Its your money, spend it where you want. And I'll spend mine where I choose.

No harm nor foul there for anyone.

Boolit Master
    We got all kinds here.
    Some you have to handle with care, some you ignore because they always seem to have a bone to pick. Most are ok and some are fantastic.
    If a thread turns into a dumpster fire it's time to move on.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    John,
    Unfortunately, we see too many things nowadays devolve into a heated argument or spitting contest when all that's really called for is polite, civil discussion of the topic at hand (without throwing insult at others who might disagree.) Maybe I'm not as jaded, but I see a lot of good, decent discussion around topics of caliber, bullets/boolets, moulds, powders, primers, firearms, etc. especially when the topic is started with a simple request for information. Normally, I'll see the discussions go along the lines of "I really like so and so because..." and folks then express why/why not they feel/think the way they do. Honestly, I've learned a great deal from the more experienced members of this site (and other sites as well,) mostly by reading the responses and using them to make a more informed decision. I've tried quite a few things mentioned here...some worked out for me, some didn't. In all cases, it got me thinking beyond my limited knowledge and experience. My $0.02. Ed
    I agree Ed, in a majority of cases we see civil dialogue, and especially here. Casters are a specific type of folk that seem to have alot more cool calm and collected about them. Really grateful for that by the way.

Boolit Master
    It is something to do. Everyone will have to have something to discuss, or argue about. Calibers are just as good as most other things to argue about.
    Is it just an adversion to arguing or is it just the caliber thing?

Again I mean no harm, injury, harm to anyone by my post. It is just based on my knowledge only and not meant to troll, call out or bait anyone.

Boolit Master
    A lot of us grew up reading Guns & Ammo, Shooting Times and other magazines, plus being involved with military personnel while we were young has a lot do do with our perspective. That said, I like a Ruger #1 in almost anything the won't beat me to death, but I've had rifles, shotguns, pistols and revolvers in a whole pile of different calibers and gauges. As I got older I have tried different pistols, and found that the only striker fired pistol I can shoot is my LC9s Pro and my 22/45. I just shoot a hammer fired pistol better. I could be because I carried a Colt GM for 40 years. I used to bad mouth a 9mm, but now have two of them, and no .45 caliber anything.

The older people get, the smarter most of them get.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

quite a few just want to start "fights" for entertainment, while others just like to argue. there was a fellow that used to be on here that would argue a point in one thread and then argue the counter point in another, notice I said he USED to be on here.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    It is something to do. Everyone will have to have something to discuss, or argue about. Calibers are just as good as most other things to argue about.
    Is it just an adversion to arguing or is it just the caliber thing?

Again I mean no harm, injury, harm to anyone by my post. It is just based on my knowledge only and not meant to troll, call out or bait anyone.
    No a healthy discussion even argument is worth it when the topic matters...but things like calibers and car make and brand just aren't up there...

Arguing with someone you care about and their life choices and drug addiction, abuse of their significant other, or other serious issue is worth it...

whether the thing I like to do and the thing you also like to do but with a different size rock is better or worse...just sad really. Not worth an argument.

As Ed said earlier... dissenting ideas are always welcome, have learned alot here by challenges to a thought or idea...I love that and honestly we all need that.

It seems like everything has suddenly gotten so personal around choices in the gun industry...maybe a negative byproduct of too many good choices. If we were scraping together just to find any powder or primers again I doubt we'd see as much argumentation but I could be wrong.

Boolit Master
    I believe as long as sports lovers can argue about the best football, basketball team, baseball team, as long as NASCAR lovers can argue about the best driver, as long as people can argue over the way to grill a steak shooters can argue over calibers.
    Think about it.

Again I mean no harm, hurt or injury to anyone by my post. It is based on my knowledge only and nothing else. It was not meant to troll bait or call out anyone in any way

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    quite a few just want to start "fights" for entertainment, while others just like to argue. there was a fellow that used to be on here that would argue a point in one thread and then argue the counter point in another, notice I said he USED to be on here.
    Ha, well....I mean play stupid games win the prizes that fit the sport I guess

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Caliber wars are mostly "mental masturbation."

Truth is:

Any gun is better than no gun. If you can't carry a gun, due to "work rules," I can tell you from experience that Klein electrician's pliers or Channel Locks make an effective come-along and impact weapon. Hard hat is great impact weapon which can be thrown. Been there too and done that. Any workman's tool belt has multiple alternatives.

But a small gun which you shoot well, that is safe, reliable, and accurate enough, is better than the gun rag hand cannon of the month which is not securely on your person.

There are no "one shot stops" except with close air support or artillery called danger-close onto your position.

When the unexpected happens, you gotta dance with the girl you brought. Get over it.

Mall ninjas and bar-room commandoes who have never been downrange in harms way or been shot at need reply.

Cops and military vets are encouraged to contribute.

Former UCs and spooks probably have the most useful info which can be applied to civilian CCW.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 08-13-2018 at 10:19 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast