RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataPBcastco
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Coated Bullet Warning

Banned

Powder Coated Bullet Warning

i haven't powder coated boolits, i'm more old skool, i pan load everything (including the kitchen sink!!!). i'm not knocking the powder coating, but i'd thought you should know.

Boolit Master

He should have pulled a couple of the loaded rounds, to see what effect, if any, it was having. Maybe the lack of oxygen keeps the interaction from causing deterioration.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    Pretty sure this was identified early on, TG causes the same sticking if I remember correctly. Interesting to note though.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

I feel that he should have pulled some bullets also. I have seen this discussed around. Hence not leaving your powder in the hopper. I would think that the powder has to be in contact with the bullet. So if he stored is ammo projectile up I don't think it would affect his bullets too much. Only pulling a bullet would tell.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned
    I cast these several years ago,I store them in bags so they are on their sides

The gunpowder did not affect the powder coating

this was using Smokes powder and baked the correct length of time passing the smash test.

The directions need to be read carefully some powders require 12-20 min bake time AFTER the boolits reach temperature OR after the PC starts to melt.
    One size does not fit all and if you don't complete the powders proper bake cycle, it will fail.
    Last edited by Grmps; 08-14-2018 at 03:27 PM.

Boolit Master
    Yep I think I’ll be pulling some older stored boolits and take a look see, as I have literally thousands of them already loaded and stored in bulk. Not standing. Boolit up.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    Yep I think I’ll be pulling some older stored boolits and take a look see, as I have literally thousands of them already loaded and stored in bulk. Not standing. Boolit up.
    Take some pics, and let us know. I'd be interested in seeing the same from some stored for months, bullet down, as in the video.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Buddy
    Powdercoat is a thermoset, which means it does not "melt", it degrades. The acrylic of powder hoppers is a thermoplastic, which can be.melted. Thermoplastics are much more succeptable to swelling and degradation than thermosets...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    He said that the storage tests were done in plastic bags. What would have happened if the powder and pc'd boolits were kept in glass jars with metal lids for the test?

Boolit Master
    Pulled one of my older boolits from storage, on side 3 months. 9MM 4.8 gr HP38, cast with Eastwood ford light blue.400’ @20 min. Preheated toaster oven. Still looks same as the day it was loaded. Powder still dry and paint coat still hard. Don’t know if there is any nitro in this HP38 but fine so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    I realize most of what is discussed here in the past is not retained, but this is a long since dead horse. The short answer is this is not a problem and was proven by a number of tests of long term exposure of powder coated projectiles to numerous powders. Now you can get back to worrying about other real issues, like what's for dinner.

Boolit Buddy
    like the last poster said this is been put to rest long ago, when this was first brought up I had a number of rounds that I had loaded for over a year, took some apart and no problem with powder coating degrading. shot a good bit and they all shot fine so in my book this is all about nothing.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had some 35 year old .38 WC loads lubed with 50/50. Many failed to fire. I would be more concerned with traditional lubes causing an issue over time than PC. BTW, I still do not PC so I am not a fan of the process....as it is slower and I would need to buy more stuff.
    Don Verna

Banned

I don't much care if it degrades the base of a bullet. Heck for ever we used bullets that had nothing on the base. I don't soak my bullets in gunpowder for two years before I load them. I wonder too if even after the shiny goes away the powder still doesn't stop any flame damage to a base of a bullet. Lots to do about nothing if you ask me. Unless you store your bullets in gunpowder!

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	225572

That’s red dot for 3 years in a loaded shell. Just as crappy as the day I loaded it w no oily residues or weird nitro soaking powder looks better than my jug stuff haha

Banned
    Move along...nothing to see here. C'mon folks, keep it moving.

Sport Pistol is formulated to not eat at polymer coatings. That will cover many pistol caliber needs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    Sport Pistol is formulated to not eat at polymer coatings. That will cover many pistol caliber needs.
    Hasn't sport pistol been around a lot longer than polymer coatings?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Hasn't sport pistol been around a lot longer than polymer coatings?
    Nope, Alliant just came out with it a year ago.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Move along...nothing to see here. C'mon folks, keep it moving.
    I agree , put this old urban legend to bed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast