Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder Coated Bullet Warning

Boolit Master
    W that being said. I know bullseye is high in the nitro stuff. Loaded a bunch of 38 special and it’s been just fine w accuracy and no leading. I’m certain it’s a nonissue

Boolit Man
    We store the loaded pistol cartridges the classic way, in tons of plastic ammo boxes nose down. We've pulled PC'd boolits from light strikes to save the cases and those were loaded usually many months or a year or more ago and have just been lying around. They go back into the pot for remelt after pulling. I've never noticed anything about the bases on the pulled ones. And that's using good ol' Red Dot.

I just pulled a couple boolits that were coated in harbor freight powder and loaded with Bullseye back in early 2016. ZERO effects on either the coating or the powder. I think the OP has some other contamination issue

Just do not load TG, it will solve most problems.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

I'm not a chemist but I think there are more variables than the nitro content in powders and the quality of powder coats. This thread raised my eyebrow as I've a few hundred loaded rounds laying around housing pc'd bullets. I know lack of oxygen has nothing to do with it because that's the mere reason powders contain oxidizers-to ignite without presence of oxygen. BUT, does smokeless powder, over time, create a vacuum? Is ANY reaction at all photosensitive, and does lack of light inside cartridge change anything?

Like I said, many variables. One, of which nobody mentioned (I don't think). All cast lead alloy is not created equal and I've found some alloys retain pc better than others. Anyway....If in doubt, don't store 'em OR use gas checks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12