RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Firearms Insurance

Boolit Master

Firearms Insurance

We're about to move and the existing insurance underwriter won't write policies for the area where we're going. My current company, Safeco, had no restrictions on the amount of coverage (up to the personal property limits of the policy) on firearms like most companies do so I didn't need a rider. At the new house, even though the neighborhood is very nice, I feel like I should have some coverage above the homeowner's measly coverage. They will cover for fire since there would be remains but have a low limit for theft. I have safes but I don't believe they are theft proof.

Does anyone have an claims experience with any third party insurance companies paying on claims?

Thanks!
    David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Look for collectors insurance perhaps?

I have added insurance on my firearms that will cover them for full replacement value due to lost, theft, fire, flood. At the time of getting the replacement cost added to my home insurance, a list of the firearms was made with the value of each firearm stated on the list. The value was in excess of 22 thousand and only added a little over 120 dollars to my policy for the year.
    On a hunting trip in Wyoming years ago, my father in law ran over my custom 25-06 rifle and broke the stock in three places and bent the Nikon 3X9 scope. Insurance company agreed to pay full value per the price listed on the insurance rider.

Banned
    Even with a rider that covers firearms, I would still record the items by digital photographs and store those digital images off-site.

The NRA has firearms insurance. It's always seemed kind of expensive to me, and I've never carried any, but a friend of mine had a favorable experience two years ago, totally unrelated to theft. He was hunting and came to a gate. He reached the rifle through the gate's cross members and leaned it against the other side. Started climbing over the gate and fell off, landed on the rifle and broke the stock. The NRA insurance paid to have the stock replaced, and did so within just a couple of weeks.

Boolit Grand Master

My insurance man is my shooting buddy, drinking buddy and hunting buddy. Their riders for firearms and jewelry are pretty expensive. His recommendation knowing that I have a heavy safe and a monitored alarm system was to insure the ones that I had out of the safe and traveled with the most. IE, hunting, matches, ect. We also have close neighbors that we are friends with and are dependable that will watch our house when we are away.

Boolit Buddy
    Look at these folks. https://www.easterninsurance.com/ins...toric-firearms I've had mine with them for some 4 years. Don't let the "historic" bother you. They insure the entire collection no matter age. Contact Jack to confirm what they insure. Very reasonable.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the suggestions! The homeowner's company will issue a rider but they're the most expensive so far, even more than NRA. I don't have a lot of really collectible firearms; mostly more ordinary guns that are shooters but there are a few that would be costly to replace but also no junk in the accumulation.

NRA seems to be one of the few that covers accidental damage like some of the incidents above. I asked for a quote from Eastern Insurance. Closing got set for Sept. 5 and we'll have two houses for a while so I have some time.

Keep suggestions coming, please!
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

I am not saying do not buy gun insurance but a good quality gun safe is good insurance against theft and fire...dale

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    I am not saying do not buy gun insurance but a good quality gun safe is good insurance against theft and fire...dale
    My insurance agent told me that they cover up to $2,000 of value on fire arms and I said I got more then that and she told me get a good safe and I do not want to know anymore.That way the safe will help you to cut theft. So i did that.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

I have a couple of safes and the house has an alarm system installed. We will be bouncing back and forth between our existing home and the new one for at least a couple of months so wherever the guns are stored they will be unattended at times, hence the extra concern. Realistically, it's a small subdivision of about 80 homes where the families try to get to know each other. The only entrance to the subdivision has 8 cameras photographing everyone that comes and goes any time of day or night. It's surrounded by other nice neighborhoods. We going from one low crime area to another equally low crime area. It's just that I have a few guns that would be pretty expensive to me to replace. No Krieghoffs or other REALLY expensive guns but several in the "pretty nice" range. Maybe I should just leave them all where they are until we move 100% where they're already well insured. I could move the low value mil surps and other low value guns and the small safe. I would be unhappy if they were stolen but it would not be a loss like even one of the good guns.

The homeowner's policy will cover fire losses so theft is the only real issue. We'll probably just get the alarm system monitoring moved to our account and call it good.

Boolit Master

I got a response from Eastern Insurance and was surprised at how inexpensive it was compared to the other quotes I've received. Their minimum coverage is $40,000 for just $150.00/year and that also includes an additional $5000 of coverage for ammunition and loading/reloading equipment. They offer unscheduled coverage for firearms that are valued at less than $10,000 so you don't have to give them any info about the collection unless it has very expensive items.

They also offer a 5% discount for members of the NRA and a list of collectors' associations.
    Last edited by David2011; 08-15-2018 at 05:39 PM. Reason: More info

Boolit Master

A LOT of NRA members do not sign up for the FREE $2500 firearms insurance that comes with membership. That won't help if a large collection gets stolen/flooded but it might cover a couple lost/stolen/damaged hunting arms.

Boolit Master

Since the majority of my firearms are kept in a single safe I didn't see much value to the free NRA insurance. Just the pistol in my avatar would exceed that if the magazines were also stolen. A set of 4 mags costs about as much as a used Glock 17. I think it is unlikely that anyone would break into the safe and take just one firearm. My current insurance covers the entire value of the "collection" so it hasn't been an issue before now.

I need to look into getting me some gun Insurance,I have a nice size collection myself.I have safes but some people say Field & Stream are not the best.I got them because I had a teenage son when I bought them and the grand kids are always over to the house.The wife is happy that I have them.
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

Boolit Grand Master

What a timely post. I've been renewing many insurance products and firearms insurance is something that I really needed. Did an online quote request with Eastern and will see what they have to offer.

Boolit Master

My wife is an insurance agent, my firearms are covered under our home owners policy, but they are listed and the values are listed as a schedule because I own more than what the homeowners policy limitation. Who knew... Thankfully I don't have to fudge the numbers to my wife. Wife says most people that own nice firearms have them under a schedule. Doing this covers it if it is stolen or even if I lose one. Yea, like that would happen.

Boolit Master
    I have my policy with Collectables Insurance, but I have never filed a claim so I have no idea how they are with paying claims. Hope to never find out.