Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: For educational purposes only...... 5.7x28FN brass needed

In Remembrance

For educational purposes only...... 5.7x28FN brass needed

I have been swaging jacketed bullets using donor brass from cartridge cases for a while now. I recently did a gun show, and as a discussion starter (promoting my reloading classes), I brought along a sample box showing examples of many of the swaged bullets I make, including the intermediate steps. One older fellow stopped by, and was amazingly intrigued with the concept. Took as many samples as I would share, and promised to write an article for a magazine he was involved with. Weeks later, he sent me a package, with samples and a copy of the book he wrote on the subject of rocket propelled ammunition (Gyrojet), and the guns that shoot them. Even more amazing than my swaged bullets. Wikipedia reference to GyroJet ammo
    That fellow was Mel Carpenter, and here's a link to his info. Amazing who you meet in the gun world. Here's an amazing video, showing the Gyrojet in action

In any event, the toughest to find of the cases for making jackets are the 5.7x28FN cases. I use those for making 30 caliber bullets (both 150 gr that I load in 300 blackouts, and 168 gr that I load in 308 Win). So, for educational purposes, if anyone would be so kind as to send me some of those 5.7's, I'd be delighted to send you an educational package, showing the step by step system for converting them into 30 cal bullets. I need as many as I can get. They are like hens teeth to find. Only a couple of guns shoot them.

Wikipedia reference to 5.7x28FN ammo

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57lineup.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	225476
    BTW, those are 22 cal bullets loaded in the 5.7 ammo. Hard to tell size from the image.

Additionally, here's a CastBoolits thread discussing my making of these bullets.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-grains-HOW-TO
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 08-13-2018 at 04:13 PM.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

This is very interesting, but I have a feeling the form dies are likely pretty expensive. This is the main reason I have never jumped into forming jacketed bullets... I think I have a bag of cases, I also have dies but have not decided as of yet to reload these. They sound like a PITA to reload and are very touchy. I would hate to blow up my pistol!

In Remembrance

The initial cash layout for swaging is, indeed, expensive. However, I was in a good place and time, and was very fortunate to acquire the needed materials/tools/etc at reasonable costs. And, over time, I have been able to make enough jacketed bullets to not only justify the initial costs, but also gain amazing levels of experience and knowledge regarding bullets swaged from inexpensive donor brass.

There is a lot of Internet discussion about reloading 5.7x28FN cartridges. As an NRA reloading instructor, I consider the 5.7 among one of the most advanced cartridges that you could ever consider reloading. Case volume and powder selection is one concern. The other is the plastic coating that is applied to the outside of the brass cases to facilitate removal of the spend case from the chamber. Without that plastic coating, the brass would get virtually stuck almost every time a cartridge is fired. During cartridge firing, and subsequent brass cleaning and handling, that plastic coating gets damaged, and has to be replaced. Various techniques for repairing and replacing the coating have been developed. However, it's very tedious at best. So, most people who shoot the 5.7 just leave the brass behind for others to use as donor jackets, etc.

So, I would urge anyone who has some 5.7's to donate them (to me or anyone else you know who swages 30 cal bullets from them). Anyone who sends 5.7's to me will receive an Educational package from me, showing the various stages of processing of these jackets.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

Yup, the coating is what is slowing me down... not sure I want to deal with it. I am not worried about the rest of it, common sense and attention to detail will assure safe rounds... but I am not sure how long that coating will hold up in real life.

In Remembrance

If you decide to abandon all hope with that brass, as most do...............
    I'd be happy to take em off your hands, and send you the informational kit about turning them into jackets for 30 caliber bullets.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER