MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: (My) kids and camping. Kind of a long rant with a question.

Boolit Master

(My) kids and camping. Kind of a long rant with a question.

First, let me start by saying I love my kids. Second, over the past 38 years I have enabled my kids. This problem is self inflicted.
    I'm trying to figure a way to stop this.
    Every year my wife's family has a reunion. When we first started, we tent camped, got dirty and smelled bad after a few days, but had fun.
    Over the years, as funds have allowed I've bought and upgraded several camp trailers, and increased size as the family grew.
    I now have 5 adult children who are all married, and 6 grand children.
    Four of my children (female) and their spouses (male. Weird in todays world, right?) have decided that the shower and toilet in my camper works just like the one at home. Turn the water on and flush the toilet with no worry about where the water comes from or where the poo goes. None can last more than a day without a shower, blow dryer and curling iron. Gotta look glamourous while camping.
    The family reunion is coming up soon and I mentioned to my wife I was thinking about just showing up for Sunday dinner like some of her cousins, and not hauling the trailer, 10 five gallon water jugs, tables, chairs, generator, gas, propane and food for 3 or 4 days of camping. I spend a day before and after loading and unloading and dumping 45 gallons of poo each year.
    I have been assigned a bunk next to the pooch for the next few days by my wife for suggesting such a thing.
    I have been dropping hints to the kids that they should look for a good used camper. One told me they didn't need one since they only went camping once a year.
    Any good ideas how to get myself out of the hole I've been digging for 38 years? I don't want to offend anyone, but the worst offender is usually the one easiest offended.

Boolit Master

sell the camper buy a tent. tell them that's all there is unless the want to buy their owen

Boolit Master

your still enabling them. ADULT CHILDREN is the key words. let them stay in a tent, or whatever they choose to do for themselves.

I agree...get rid of the trailer and get a tent. If they can't handle that...then maybe they shouldn't be camping.

I'm in my mid-50s and love tent camping (was camping last week)...We found a nice State park in NH where we frequent every year. They allow pets so we take the dog (60 lbs) with us...she has her own air mattress in our tent. We plan to do a 4 day weekend in mid-October too. It gets a bit chilly but who cares...we'll just break out the heavy sleeping bags and an extra blanket for the pup.

I have to admit though...after 5 days...we do tend to get a bit ripe...and yes...I do take one shower at that time (camp shower)...but that's usually about the time we go into town for supplies and we have to associate with other non-campers.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Jim, Simply ask your kids to help. You might be surprised, I know I was.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Yea, plan the trip where there is a motel or resort type place where they can pay there own way. Did the same as you until the kids got in school, trips were reduced greatly. Then when married with kids, rented a place. Eventually they lead their own life and don't bother you. Yea, irritates the wife but that always a problem. Next year, wife is planning a stay to celebrate 50 yrs, invited the family. We'll see who shows up.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    It's time to show the kids what it takes to "camp". I got shown the ropes at 12. By 14 I took care of the whole thing including buying groceries, gasoline, propane and filling the water and septic tank. Start the propane frig. Load surfboard, boat, and fishing/hunting gear depending on which direction we went. Load everybody's clothes for the weekend with toiletries. We did this 3 weekends a month.

Until they learn the ropes they don't know nor appreciate what it takes. Momma's mad cuz she can't spend time with the babies and grandbabies. News that the youngins are gonna join in will help her disposition.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Baron View Post
    Jim, Simply ask your kids to help. You might be surprised, I know I was.
    This sounds like the best idea to me. Some people mooch because they’re lazy and thoughtless, others because they don’t realize what they’re doing. Some people will really step up once you nicely let them know you could use some help, while others will pretend they didn’t hear you. You won’t know until you try.

Boolit Master

Well your wife has already told you it sounds like , my condolences , I would suggest staying home let her go and she can pack and unpack after all the thoughtless ones but I think older children and adult sons and daughters should do for themselves and it is sad that people and men especially need to be glamorous and all the comforts of home that they do not provide .

Me and the four grown sons are redneck central tent campers.We cook with cast iron and have great events..... eat like kings.We all bring something to the table.Good luck with your camping trip.

Boolit Master
    Lol and here I was just considering getting an RV/Camper for the family might be fun......I forgot about the pump out! best of luck on your trip, maybe a paddlock on the facilities is in order .
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

One of my neighbors had a similar situation. He's got a pretty nice motor home with all the amenities and two adult daughters (both married with two kids apiece) who live about 4 hours away. They got in the habit of meeting a state park about halfway in between a couple times a year and, gradually, Skip's motor home became the kids' and grandkids' 'basecamp'. Now the grandkids are all high school jrs/srs or in college but still seem to have hung onto the idea that 'Grandpa' and 'Grandma' ought to be their hosts during those family get-togethers, providing food, entertainment (his RV has satellite TV), and private toilet facilities.

Skip and I had talked about this a couple months back, after a family gathering over along the Mississippi, and I suggested that, next time, he leave the RV at home and take our little 10' pop-up camper, instead. Just me and the missus, so we've sorta customized our rig to accommodate just TWO people with what we consider 'adequate' amenities. (Note: before we bought this camper, my wife and I were genuine 'boondockers'...40 years of tenting out of the back of a 4x4 in areas where you navigated with a compass and topo map!) He dropped by last week and asked if we were going to have our rig set up any time soon 'cause, next time we do he's gonna bring his wife down to look at it...that is, if he can convince her she can live without air-conditioning for a few days. (Once, before they got the RV, his wife told mine that she considered a hotel/motel without a pool and sauna 'roughing it.')

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Just tell them you didnt feel like hauling up the camper. Then stay in a hotel or tent.
    East Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by wgr View Post
    sell the camper buy a tent. tell them that's all there is unless the want to buy their owen
    Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!

Except I wouldn't buy a tent.

Boolit Bub
    Just take a cue from my dad. When I was graduating from college, he and my mom bought a 27' boat, that they basically used as a summer getaway. An uncle of mine was talking to him about the boat, and asked how many people it can sleep. My dad responded with a very quick answer of "2 people". A few years later, they upgraded to a 30 footer. As a joke, I asked how many that could sleep. Turns out, no matter how big a boat he would buy, they only sleep 2 people.

My wife and I just bought a new camper, and the salesman was explaining how many people can sleep in it. I quickly corrected him. It can only sleep 2 people. And the toilet facility is not for major transactions, that's what the campground facilities are for.

Good luck.

We had the same situation with our hunting group. We finally convinced the younger generation that we brought 20 gal of water for drinking, cooking and cleaning and no showers were allowed. The crapper was winterized so they could go outdoors and use the little johnny or dig a hole. They could go in town (60 mile one way) to get a shower at the fairgrounds or bring their own water and plan on making trips to town to refill the jugs and dispose of the gray water when the tank got full. First time we made them drain the grey water in their water jugs and take to town when getting their next showers worth ended the nightly showers in the camper. We eventually got 2 large outfitter tents, a throne tent with a one holer nailed to gold chair, and a post hole digger and never looked back. To be honest it's a little nippy in there at 0400 when it's below zero.

Camper stays in the shop during hunting season. The buddy who owned it has a happier wife, which is good.

Good Luck.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master
    I always thought CAMPING was tents only.
    Anything else is not.
    I made a portable shower, for when we go camping.
    Getting old.
    Cold water only.
    Most of us really like it.
    A few complained about "No hot water"
    Camping is trying to get back to nature.
    Do with as little as possible.
    As much as the city will allow us to.
    We cannot have camp fires here.
    Cannot wash in rivers.
    Miss the old days.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    No motels nearby? If so, I would think that the wife would enjoy going back at night, get a good shower and sleep in a good bed. If no motel . . . how well do you and the pooch get along?

We don't have kids but I fully do understand your situation and thoughts as we have friends who experience the same thing with theirs. What they . . . and sometimes your spouse . . . don't understand is the work involved in getting everything ready not only before you go, but all the clean up when you get back. And each year you're getting older and it becomes more of a task.

Good luck . . . what's that they say about a "rock and hardpan"?

Your on the couch, out of the bed, out of the picture, STAY THERE!

Don't move. Do Not go, do not load water, do not hook up trailer. Lock it up and leave it sit.

Sell camper or keep is your call. To stop enabling, just stop.
    Only takes willpower.

I only live 20 miles from the Mississippi River and started with a 14 foot Canadian hull boat and a tent when my wife and I got married. When the kids came around we got a larger tent and boat Raised the three kids on the river. No showers needed and they can run all the water they want and make sure you bring along a shovel well this lasted 40 some years and ended with a 43' houseboat that was sold when all the kids left home. Now for the last 20 years since my retirement we went through a bunch of campers looking for the perfect one and really haven't found it yet. Last Friday we just got a new 27 foot motorhome I call the gypsy wagon and my Wife is happy with it because she does not have to use the shovel !! but I still like the tent and since the kids have their own family started they also raised their kind on the river till they cleared the nest and now are bugging me to come aboard with them. I tell them I been on old muddy for more then 60 years and I want to see the rest of the country with the time Mom and I have left.
    Camping is great how ever you like doing it but it's more fun when you come to a understanding between the two of you.
    Kurt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast