WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: (My) kids and camping. Kind of a long rant with a question.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    There are campers for rent, so they can do that.

Years ago I took a woman to a ten day rendezvous. She hadn't done much camping before. I found the afternoon of the second day, all of the potable water was gone. I asked her what happened to it? She took a bath.
    So, I had to go carry water about a quarter mile, and schooled her on water conservation when camping. She started bathing daily in the river. It was met with approval and appreciation by the men, and disgust by the women. She was stacked, and not at all shy.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    I have been assigned a bunk next to the pooch for the next few days by my wife for suggesting such a thing.
    Simply return the favor. Let your wife handle the trip while you Charlie Mike
    to the shooting range. Only thing you need to pack are rifles and snacks.
    Don't even wave goodbye as she hauls the camper out.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post

Years ago I took a woman to a ten day rendezvous. She hadn't done much camping before. I found the afternoon of the second day, all of the potable water was gone. I asked her what happened to it? She took a bath.
    So, I had to go carry water about a quarter mile, and schooled her on water conservation when camping. She started bathing daily in the river. It was met with approval and appreciation by the men, and disgust by the women. She was stacked, and not at all shy.
    Thanks for the laugh Rick.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    First, let me start by saying I love my kids. Second, over the past 38 years I have enabled my kids. This problem is self inflicted.
    I'm trying to figure a way to stop this.
    Every year my wife's family has a reunion. When we first started, we tent camped, got dirty and smelled bad after a few days, but had fun.
    Over the years, as funds have allowed I've bought and upgraded several camp trailers, and increased size as the family grew.
    I now have 5 adult children who are all married, and 6 grand children.
    Four of my children (female) and their spouses (male. Weird in todays world, right?) have decided that the shower and toilet in my camper works just like the one at home. Turn the water on and flush the toilet with no worry about where the water comes from or where the poo goes. None can last more than a day without a shower, blow dryer and curling iron. Gotta look glamourous while camping.
    The family reunion is coming up soon and I mentioned to my wife I was thinking about just showing up for Sunday dinner like some of her cousins, and not hauling the trailer, 10 five gallon water jugs, tables, chairs, generator, gas, propane and food for 3 or 4 days of camping. I spend a day before and after loading and unloading and dumping 45 gallons of poo each year.
    I have been assigned a bunk next to the pooch for the next few days by my wife for suggesting such a thing.
    I have been dropping hints to the kids that they should look for a good used camper. One told me they didn't need one since they only went camping once a year.
    Any good ideas how to get myself out of the hole I've been digging for 38 years? I don't want to offend anyone, but the worst offender is usually the one easiest offended.
    I don't see anywhere in your post where you actually tried to talk with your children and explained the realities of RV waste systems limitations.

Might want to try the novel idea of actually talking to your children rather than going on the internet and scheming to punish them by not showing up with your camper.

And this is a once a year trip? And you are this upset over them using too much water because they're girls and don't like to stink?

I think you need to take a hard look at your own issues over this; seems a bit extreme.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Sometimes, one gets a hint of why things in this country have become what they are.

Boolit Master

A group of us, all long time friends, chartered a boat in the British Virgin Islands for two weeks. If it sounds exotic it's just camping on the water rather than on land. Admittedly, the scenery is nice. There were two couples, one of which had 2 early teen kids plus the daughter's friend and another woman and her young adult CHILD. The boat was a 50 foot sailboat that carried a total of 240 gallons of fresh water. The kids kept taking long hot showers like they were at home. They were all experienced boaters and knew how to conserve water but chose not to on the big boat. The adults bathed by soaping up with saltwater soap, jumping in the water and then rinsing the salt off with the cold water only hand sprayer on the boarding platform. The water tanks went dry on the 7th or 8th day of the charter. We had to go to an island that had water for sale which took half a day round trip to buy more water at 10 cents/gallon. Really, this is no different from having to take a half day to get water when land camping. Schooled the kids on water use and we were able to finish the trips on the additional 240 gallons.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post

This is great! I've totally forgotten about the OP...thinking more of a stacked lady bathing in the river with a bunch of guys on the river bank vying for a good seat. Ed

We had a group of guys that when to Canada pike/walleye fishing. I have a great camping box that go on legs and the door becomes a work table.Heavy but works great. At the That stage of my life I used my truck to work with every day so I had to unload and reload my tools when I got home before going back to work. I always pushed to come home on Saturday and have Sunday to clean things up and put them away plus reload tools. Most years I lost that battle. Till the year I couldn’t go and my buddy borrowed all my stuff after he did everything once he started making everybody come over and help cleanup and put away the camping stuff. So my advice is to tell the kids to come help or don’t use the camping stuff.

Boolit Master

We had a somewhat similar situation one time years ago, but from the other side. We stayed with some distant relatives out of town a couple times a year. We wanted to be careful that we weren’t taking advantage of their hospitality, but were assured by one person that everything was fine and they loved to have us stay.

It turned out that the other person involved wasn’t as happy about it, at least not as often or as long, so he’d manipulate the situation hoping we’d take a hint. It was confusing and awkward, and ended up with hurt feelings and embarrassment. I wish he’d just come out and told me that they like to see us but would rather shorter visits. Instead there was disagreement between him and his wife and he “didn’t want to say anything”.

Some people can’t take a hint, and a lot of people have trouble seeing a hint, especially if Mama is telling them “Oh please, feel free to use our camper and facilities all you want. Dad just loves spoiling you all every year. It’s the highlight of our summer!”

I don’t know who’s saying what, or what kind of people your kids are. Maybe they are spoiled brats who won’t take a hint, or maybe they just don’t fully realize the work involved and how you feel about it. Most reasonable people will appreciate a calm, friendly discussion about the work involved and how it’s starting to become a burden to you, and could they help a little bit with it?

It’s pretty normal human behavior to “not want to say anything”, but I think the direct approach is usually best.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If you want things REALLY awkward do what someone I know did. They invited a friend over but didn't tell SWMBO until the friend arrived that they were coming. Went kinda ... Testy there at times. Understandably. Humans

Boolit Master

Hannibal,
    Sleeping outside without a tent is an invitation to a hydrophobic skunk.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    A tent is for camping, and an RV/trailer is for long, cross country trips so you don't have to stay in hotels. The reunion shouldn't be a hassle for you like it is. If nobody is helping you out, put an end to it right then and there. Sell it, buy a tent, and maybe a few new guns.

Boolit Master
    I would just enjoy the time with my family. America is rolling a 50% divorce rate, and family values are on the endangered species list. Be thankful your kids still want to spend time with you.

Boolit Buddy

Had a sister in law that said visits are like fish, after three days they start to smell, tend to agree. Do not abuse some ones hospality. I enjoy my privacy. Have other things to do besides entertain some one for an extended period of time. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Hannibal,
    Sleeping outside without a tent is an invitation to a hydrophobic skunk.
    Actually, I wasn't suggesting sleeping outside with no tent. In my case, the amount of work involved in camping is just too much for me. So I no longer go.

Boolit Master

Had a sister in law that said visits are like fish, after three days they start to smell, tend to agree.
    I wholeheartedly agree!

Moderator Emeritus

Day before you ;eave grab the adult kids and say "here are the keys, the waste station is over there, drive this over and empty the tank!". They will get the hint that it is NOT fun! I helped Dad do it when all of us were at the camper. I finally said I am tired of playing in everybody else's **** and I rented a sleeper cabin(bed/bath/microwave/hotplate) and told my brothers and sisters they could help dump the tank. Next year 3 out of 5 of us were renting sleeper cabins LOL None of us were adults yet but for $60 for the weekend it beat sharing a 30 foot camper with 6 other people! By year 4 we were renting one of the 3 bedroom cabins that slept 10 and mom and dad had privacy in the brand new camper they bought. We still got together in the common space to play yard games(handicap croquet as always a hit... have to shoot with a beer in one hand), plus we usually had 4-5 boats with and spent a good part of nice days fishing.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    I only live 20 miles from the Mississippi River and started with a 14 foot Canadian hull boat and a tent when my wife and I got married. When the kids came around we got a larger tent and boat Raised the three kids on the river. No showers needed and they can run all the water they want and make sure you bring along a shovel well this lasted 40 some years and ended with a 43' houseboat that was sold when all the kids left home. Now for the last 20 years since my retirement we went through a bunch of campers looking for the perfect one and really haven't found it yet. Last Friday we just got a new 27 foot motorhome I call the gypsy wagon and my Wife is happy with it because she does not have to use the shovel !! but I still like the tent and since the kids have their own family started they also raised their kind on the river till they cleared the nest and now are bugging me to come aboard with them. I tell them I been on old muddy for more then 60 years and I want to see the rest of the country with the time Mom and I have left.
    Camping is great how ever you like doing it but it's more fun when you come to a understanding between the two of you.
    Kurt

My dream was retire on the Mississippi River in a houseboat, winter down south, follow spring north until I hit Lake Pepin and find a backwater to spend the summer fishing... but reality and medical needs hit...

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the input. Some of the suggestions were great but will not work for my situation. Pine Baron gets the prize, I will ask for help this year.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't hand over the keys unless I KNEW that THEY knew how to drive it, park it, fill, drain, clean, etc.
    Remind them you're not getting any younger and if they want to use it they need to help before and after the trip otherwise you're staying home.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast