Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Marlin 1894 Lever Action vs. Tactical Carbine Course

Boolit Buddy

Marlin 1894 Lever Action vs. Tactical Carbine Course

Hi all! Have you ever wondered how a 19th century levergun might fare on a 21st century qualification course? Well, I did! The link below will take you to my latest video. In it, I pit my Marlin 1894CP against a law enforcement qualification course intended for modern day tactical carbines. What do you think? Is it possible to qualify with the little levergun? To find out, follow the link below. As always, be sure to share your thoughts with me after watching the video!

HRF

https://youtu.be/XcUoGQIST1U

Boolit Master

Love it! I think I could do it, may have to try it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    Love it! I think I could do it, may have to try it.
    Give it a try! It's a lot of fun, and great practice all at the same time.

HRF

Just a couple of hints:

1. When you hold the extra rounds between your fingers, hold them rim out. That way when you load them into the port, they'll be oriented correctly.

2. When single loading the Marlin, just drop the round onto the carrier. As long as the rifle isn't canted to the right, the round will be carried into the chamber by the bolt.

3. Practice not wrapping your thumb of your right hand around the comb. You'll be faster without that extra little motion.

If you watch a few videos of Cowboy Action Shooting, you'll see what the little carbines are really capable of.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    Just a couple of hints:

1. When you hold the extra rounds between your fingers, hold them rim out. That way when you load them into the port, they'll be oriented correctly.

2. When single loading the Marlin, just drop the round onto the carrier. As long as the rifle isn't canted to the right, the round will be carried into the chamber by the bolt.

3. Practice not wrapping your thumb of your right hand around the comb. You'll be faster without that extra little motion.

If you watch a few videos of Cowboy Action Shooting, you'll see what the little carbines are really capable of.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Thanks Fred! No doubt I could learn a lot from CAS competitors. I actually did turn the cartridges around in my fingers before I shot that stage of the course. I figured out on my own that it would be more efficient to reload from that orientation than to have the bullets facing out and the rims held against the carbine's forestock. If you watch close while I am reloading, you should be able to see that.

HRF

Boolit Master
    Good video, I strongly suspected that you’d pass. Honestly I’m afraid to think that anyone would fail that course of fire with an AR. If you’re bored on day try running the same course with a revolver chambered in 357, I expect you’d pass.

One nit, IMO “M-Forgery” makes you sound less professional than you are.

Boolit Master

I very looooooooonnnnnggggg time ago I used to shoot at least once a week or more at the LAPD Harbor Pistol Range. Back in the day when they still allowed the Public to shoot there.
    Once they let me run the Monthly Handgun Qualification Course. 30 rounds at 5yds, 12yds & 17yds. Reloads at 5yds &12yds. I used a S & W model 10 6" & a Bianchi speed strip. Passed with 280 out of 300. Of course I was still young with steady hands & good eyes.

You'd be amazed what you can do if you just apply yourself.

P.S. SASS rules DO NOT allow you to hold loose cartridges in your hand/fingers.
    You must reload from belt loops or a closed pouch.
    Last edited by Walks; 08-16-2018 at 12:08 AM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Interesting. There's a few things that come to mind when giving someone a semi automatic. I used to do as well duck hunting with a pump gun as a SA as I tended to slow down slightly and aim better. The hit to the ear would have ruined some ones day as it also would have taken a bit of hide off the head also. Very good demonstration. There is an issue about needing two hands to operate a weapon in extreme situations but still shows potential for personal use of a lever as a home defense weapon.

DP

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Good video, I strongly suspected that you’d pass. Honestly I’m afraid to think that anyone would fail that course of fire with an AR. If you’re bored on day try running the same course with a revolver chambered in 357, I expect you’d pass.

One nit, IMO “M-Forgery” makes you sound less professional than you are.
    Unfortunately, there are those who struggle with this course when firing the AR. As a side note, I'm strongly considering the idea of giving this course a try with my 1903 Springfield. Buckle your seatbelt for that one, because it will be a ride!

P.S. The only reason I say "M-Forgery" is to differentiate between the true M-4 carbines and all the various copies that are owned by civilians. Since the copies are not select-fire, have longer barrels, and of course do not have "U.S. Government Property" stamped on them, they are not really M-4's. I just always thought M-forgery was kind of a funny way to draw the distinction.

HRF

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I very looooooooonnnnnggggg time ago I used to shoot at least once a week or more at the LAPD Harbor Pistol Range. Back in the day when they still allowed the Public to shoot there.
    Once they let me run the Monthly Handgun Qualification Course. 30 rounds at 5yds, 12yds & 17yds. Reloads at 5yds &12yds. I used a S & W model 10 6" & a Bianchi speed strip. Passed with 280 out of 300. Of course I was still young with steady hands & good eyes.

You'd be amazed what you can do if you just apply yourself.
    Well said (and good shooting!)

HRF

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    Interesting. There's a few things that come to mind when giving someone a semi automatic. I used to do as well duck hunting with a pump gun as a SA as I tended to slow down slightly and aim better. The hit to the ear would have ruined some ones day as it also would have taken a bit of hide off the head also. Very good demonstration. There is an issue about needing two hands to operate a weapon in extreme situations but still shows potential for personal use of a lever as a home defense weapon.

DP

Thank you!

Boolit Master

DP,
    I grew up on a pump gun.
    Finally I got a chance to shoot a couple of Semi-Auto's. A Browning AUTO-5 and a REMINGTON 11-48.
    That was a wake up call, me stepping back, muzzle waving every which way.

I had a REM 870 TRAP gun from 12yrs to H.S. Grad. With a WINCHESTER 101 TRAP Gun for that last year. Saved every penny I made, collected a lot of soda pop bottles. In 1970 $300 bucks was a lot of money for a 16yr old kid. Probably helped I wasn't allowed to get my Driver's License until my 17th Birthday. Another day for that story.

Still and all when I got out of the U.S. NAVY in 1975 I knew I was going to need a better 3" gun than my old plain bbl WINCHESTER model 12. I was too used to a vent rib flat sighting plane.
    So I went to a REM 1100 3"Mag Duck gun. Good LORD AMIGHTY, WHAT A PAIN IN THE TOKHAS.
    Double feeds constantly. Went to the warranty station twice, then back to REMINGTON Cust Serv Twice.

Finally after the 3rd double feed in one day, I stood up in the blind and to my DAD'S ASTONISHMENT, I chucked that ****ed crappy shotgun as far as I could out into the swallow water of the WISTER UNIT of the SALTON SEA.
    I bought a BROWNING B-2000 gas auto loader. It had a COOL loading port on the left side, and the 1st year of screw in chokes. It functioned with 3" & 2 3/4" mags ok and the loading port was handy to shove in a 3 incher for the odd goose. But it was one of those guns that I just didn't care for. Nothing wrong with the gun, just not for me. The REMINGTON 870 Express had just out, they were all 3" chambered guns with REM Chokes. So I was set with a new Duck/Goose gun. But I had to buy a I/C choke as the Express 28" bbl cam only with a Mod. tube. I had a real good couple of seasons with the Express, steel shot and all.
    The I found the Perfect Waterfowl Shotgun.
    It felt SO VERY GOOD BETWEEN MY HANDS. A brand new BENELLI MONTREFELTRO 12ga 28" bbl, 3" Mag. 3 screw in chokes designed to handle steel shot. I hunted everything with it from 1989 until I got busted up in 1998. Ducks, a few Geese, Pheasant, Quail, Dove. Even Gunning Chukar for Field Dog Trails.

And I have gone and hijacked this thread. **** I just can't stop talking. Comes from being stuck at home with most of my friends dead or retired and moved away, lost touch.
    SORRY.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I think a .357 carbine would be a better choice for LE use than an M4. Out to 100 yards it would do more damage to the target and prevent spraying unaimed shots that are more likely to hit an innocent than a bad guy.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.