Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: 7/16 tubing jacket kit maker w/ reducer - pics/info needed Or could I use 1/2 setup

Boolit Bub

7/16 tubing jacket kit maker w/ reducer - pics/info needed Or could I use 1/2 setup

Does anyone have a 7/16 copper tubing jacket maker set with reducer die ( any caliber reducer) and correct punches . I currently have a 1/2 jacket maker set and would like to compare the two jacket maker sets and need to look at a reducer set-up as my 1/2 inch set doesn't have one for the 50bmg ,no need to reduce straight into the Rbt. 1 and 2 die or flat bottom core seat ,then point form die followed by lead tip die ,that's my set-up anyway .
    I want to build a set 7/16 jacket maker set for my .40 caliber needs but would like to see some pics and possibly punch sizes and look at the reducer set up although without a lot of though put into it I think I'm going to need to increase the diameter a step or two for some ,especially the .44 .i I have 10mm ,couple .40's and .44 mag I would like to feed some custom bullets . I've seen some other pictures online but not enough detail to get punch sizes that are requires ....thanks for your help guys .
    I also would be willing to post pics of any of my equipment for others and answer questions if anyone would like to trade info .. I've got a chp-1 , .223 ,.50 bmg , .308. , 6.5 dies . Pmc cannalure machine ,I need to figure out how to machine some cutter wheels for but that another project down the road. Also hand cannalure . Walnut - hill press and .223 die set and other misc equipment if anyone needs info or pics that is thinking of making their own parts ,equipment or just want to look ?
    Also thanks you fellows that have answered questions all along the way of this learning process for me ! It's been long but learning this hobby is a load of fun ,plus you end up knowing things that the average shooter never even thought about ,but only with great sites like this ,CastBoolits , that allows this hobby to expand and keeps it going .
    I have also wondered about just using the current 1/2 set-up and reducing several times but I believe I would get a long thin jacket - if I'm correct ?
    Thanks again fellows .

Your easiest solution woud be to buy a reducing die for your current set. 1/2 copper is much easier to get.. and will reduce to 40 cal with no problem..d

Boolit Buddy
    I make 10mm projectiles with my 1/2" copper tubing Jacket maker. It's just a reducer from the half inch.

Boolit Bub
    Any idea how many reductions it would take from 1/2" type L .035 copper pipe to where I would need to be ? A reducing die should be about the easiest to make of any of of them . Would this type of reducer require a spring and alignment type bushing ,or simply a punch and reducer .
    If I am right a drill bushing fitted inside a correctly sized fitted sleeve would make a reducing die with the proper sized punch to push it through ... forgive me but I'm sorta still learning here ?

Boolit Bub
    Anyone know the correct angle to grind the reduction die to reduce the jackets . Is there any formula or just whatever works because I've heard different things for different calibers ?

Boolit Master
    Check out the Corbin die site. I looked at their tubing jacket section and found picture that looked to show about 45 degree angle, but I did read some place that 60 degree was also good. I hope that helps Regards Stephen

Boolit Buddy
    I don't really know about springs and angles, my reducer is just a die (looks like a big sscrew with a smooth hole in the middle) and a punch. I make cups with the half inch jacket maker then reduce from there. I bet if you e-mailed Dave he would tell you what you want to know.

Boolit Master

I make all my reducing dies using a drill bushing pressed and loctited into a pocket machined into the end of a 7/8-14 threaded B7 rod. I chuck the bushing and just grind a taper on both ends with a hand held air grinder. Grind both ends til about a millimeter of the original bore is left and then ream and lap the bore til it produces the diameter jacket you want. Punches are O1 drill rod. Trial and error determines the punch dia and nose configuration. Then case harden with Cherry Red and polish. Mine have a spring and heavy brass washer on the punch for alignment. In the future i will use a second drill bushing that has the same ID as the starting jacket for alignment. Alignment of the jacket as it enters the die is extremely important. It determines the concentricity of the jacket.

Bob

I forgot to mention, after grinding the bushing I polish the heck out of using from 200 to 2000 grit clover.
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu