WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: Finally got some shooting time today with my favorite rifles!

Boolit Master

Finally got some shooting time today with my favorite rifles!

I actually got time today to shoot my 3 favorite rifles... All cast at 100 yard plates. Stress relief!

First is my old Rock Island 1903, brittle serial number... Action is slick as glass, sights are awesome, holes all over for some kind of scope in a former life and no matching parts. Barrel is a 1929 SA 4 groove. I bought it for the sight, gave less than it was worth for the whole thing, then I found out how well it shot and felt. Someone put some time into this one at some point. Shooting the Lyman 31141 sized to .310.

Next we have my Dad's old Winchester 30-30. This thing looks like death, I removed the rust at one point and now it has an odd looking remaining finish. But I kinda like it and it has a super smooth action and shoots really well with a Lyman 31141.

Last, but by far not least! My oldish Marlin 1894C with microgrove barrel. This thing shoots so well with the RCBS 180, it likes them in 38 special cases and 357 mag cases. The action is like greased lightning and it is dead on at 100 yards.

So, yes it was a great day for me. All shot off hand as I love to do. But, my oldish eyes are just havin' trouble picking up both sights and the target. Really stinks!

Boolit Master

I love the older iron. Something about the old wood and steel that just looks better with time. It seems they absorb history from where they were.

Those plastic guns have no soul.

Wonderful! Thanks for the report.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    All really nice. I especially like the peep sight. I once bought a 336 just to get the Redfield steel peep sight that was on it. Todd/3leg

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 3leggedturtle View Post
    All really nice. I especially like the peep sight. I once bought a 336 just to get the Redfield steel peep sight that was on it. Todd/3leg
    That was exactly why I bought the 03! I have less than $100 in that rifle, the guy selling it was embarrassed by the fact that someone butchered the gun and just wanted to get rid of it. The best part is that it feels great (well balanced), shoots great and has no issues. My 11.5 yo daughter shoots that rifle offhand at 100 yard steel. She shoots a pretty stiff load of 2400 (I think, data not infront of me) with a Lyman 31141 and loves it. She always marvels that she is shooting something near 100 years old!

Boolit Master
    i love old guns wood and steel look a lot better than plastic. My two favorite are a 50-70 1866 trapdoor, and a M1867 Rolling block in 45-70. Thanks for the pictures they look great.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

I would just about give part of me for an 1867 45-70. When I was younger, a fella that I helped in a casting and reloading business had one I got to shoot often and I loved it.

Boolit Master
    Beautiful. Rifles