Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything

Thread: Anyone grow medicinal herbs indoors?

Boolit Master

Anyone grow medicinal herbs indoors?

I've been getting more and more into gardening the last couple years, and in addition to doing container gardening, I was thinking of growing some medicinal herbs inside this year. Since this is a northern climate, it's typical, hot summer, cold winter, February being the worst. I want to grow maybe 5-6 herbs, one being peppermint, but everything medicinal. I know some like echinacia and things like that. I have been bouncing around a few here and there in my head to start with.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Banned

I hear there's a lot of folks doing it in Colorado about now.

And a bunch went to jail last week.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    More to follow
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    My wife had a crazy uncle that had a whole house set up to grow medicinal herbs about 25 years ago. Of course that's before the authorities started wondering why an abandoned house would have a $200 a month electric bill and no lights on!

Boolit Grand Master

Fellow a few blocks away was doing that. Lived on the first floor and "gardened" on the second floor.
    Pretty extensive set up , timers, lights an irrigation systems , tables with the medicinal plants.....until the police raid and shootout , He doesn't live there any longer....new address is at Angola , Louisiana.
    I've seen inside Angola and I'm going to tell you gwpercle isn't about to do any inside gardening or grow any medicinal herbs that would cause him to be sent to Angola.
    I do grow parsley in the outside garden if you're interested .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I can actually grow marijuana on my property legally here in Washington state if it's for medicinal use. I thought it would be fun for the novelty idea of it. I tried smoking pot a few times decades ago when in my younger days and never really enjoyed it. Certainly not going to use it now. And, I just think the hassle of trying to get permission, plus the resulting issues such as neighborhood kids sneaking in my yard would not be worth the punchline.

My 72 yr old mom wants to come to my house and smoke some to see if it helps with her tremors. I'm all for legitimate uses of it medicinally, but am pretty skeptical of 99% of users who claim that as why they smoke pot.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

My brother has a buddy that is licensed to grow and I avoided his place like the plague. The last day I was there he had 7 people in his house Medicating and just two of them had their MMCards. Wonder how they got Medication for 2 to help 7? So much for legalizing marijuana.

Boolit Grand Master

To get back on topic - gotta have a bunch of echinicia to make it worthwhile - it's the root that is the medicinal part. Mints grow well indoors and every where else, too. Lemon Balm takes over, it can become a huge plant. You really need to do your research and determine exactly what it is that you want to accomplish and then find the herb that fits it and the one or two of them that will thrive indoors.
    For example thyme oil is an antiseptic -but you need a lot of thyme to get enough oil if you make it your self. Basil likewise, if you don't eat it or cook with either of them first.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Consider hydroponics. A Dutch bucket system or ebb and flow would be my suggestion.

Boolit Grand Master

I grew basil last year. Tough part was drying all of it.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The other thing is that if you have a Medical MJ Card you will be denied on any NICS checks...

Banned

my hunting partners brother is the same way. Has his whole basement full of lights and plants and sells it for medicianal use. Hes about 70 and ex con that went to prison twice and is a convicted felon. We have to stop there occasionaly to drop something off and I wont even get out of the truck. Even his brother gets out of there just as fast as he can. Went in one day to help haul in some stuff and the smell of pot plants was so strong that I about couldn't breath. Allways seems to be a bunch of sick people hanging around there too. What a farce!
    Quote Originally Posted by clintsfolly View Post
    My brother has a buddy that is licensed to grow and I avoided his place like the plague. The last day I was there he had 7 people in his house Medicating and just two of them had their MMCards. Wonder how they got Medication for 2 to help 7? So much for legalizing marijuana.

Boolit Master
    A booze company just invested $4,000,000,000 in a company growing pot. My guess is they will soon be lobbying to make it legal in more places. Follow the money. https://www.investors.com/news/marij...roup-earnings/

Boolit Master

https://www.aerogarden.com/?cid=ppc_...AaAn2cEALw_wcB

Look into these units. Hydroponics on steroids. The bigger ones have 9 holes for plants. You can buy pre-seeded pots, or get ones that you seed with whatever herb you want to grow. Fresh herbs for cooking, salads or medicinal plants.

I have 2 of them, they flat out work. Best part is they have their own grow light system so they can sit anywhere in the house. Even makes a good night light if you set the timer on the light to be on in the wee hours.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    A lot of herbs do best in full sun. Pot growers must go out of business as I see a lot of grow lights for sale used on Craig's List. No reason you couldn't use them for legal herbs.

snuffy AreoGarden is awesome! I am more suited to cultivating lead but it's fun to see.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 08-17-2018 at 12:49 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master
    Grow lights cost a ton of money to run. Illicit MJ grow sites usually "jumper" the power supply from the providing utility--steal power, IOW--and this is their ultimate undoing, because if you think a utility is going to turn its back on $100,000 to $250,000 theft-of-service, guess again Carlos Moreno. These figures were derived from a clandestine residential grow site seized about a week ago locally, and published in the news.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Nobody makes an investment like that without expecting to profit. Just what do they know that I don't?
    Of course, if I had that kind of money, I wouldn't need to invest. My frugal family couldn't spend it in their lifetime but it would sure be fun trying.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master

Duplicate post
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Banned

don't know what its like in other utilitys but id guess in my career as a lineman ive caught and was there when others caught power thieves maybe 2 dozen times. Crazy thing is I never saw a single one prosecuted. Same with cable. We worked along side cable lineman all the time and they would tell you the same. They would catch LOTS of people going up a pole and hooking up cable but they never saw them prosecuted either. I remember there crew leader telling me he caught the same guy 4 times in one year and the company wouldn't do a thing. Said its been brought to court before and companys usually loose.

For one thing its on YOUR property. If I leave a ipad sitting on your porch for 10 years and try to come back and claim its mine what chance do I have. Same thing for that meter. With the old dial meters it was about impossible to prove how much power was stolen. Was it a 1000 dollars worth or did he jumper it out 5 minutes ago. The new meters will ping the control center everytime there pulled so the company can send a meter man out to investigate. Makes it much harder to steal. The new digital meters also wont run backwards if you flip them upside down. that used to be a favorite trick. Cut your seal flip your meter upside down for a week and then put it back. Meter men said they probably averaged replacing 5 meter seals a day that disappeared.

there only real alternative to stop these people is to just pull the fuse at the pole and take the meter with them and leave them without power. But our liberal government has determined at least up here in the north that you cant pull a meter in the winter because someone might freeze to death. Had to laugh once. A real idiot whos fuse as opened and meter taken actually made himself a stick by taping broom handles together with a nail on the end. Climbed up a ladder and stole a fuse from a different customers transformer. Jumped his empty meter box and put the fuse on his transformer pole. He got away with it for quite a while because he lived at the end of a 2 mile road with nobody else on it and the meter reader never went down there because supposedly he didn't have power. When it was discovered we looked in our records and 8 months before that we had a trouble call and when we got there there was no fuse holder to be found. Made us really scratch our heads. So how do you prosecute him. No proof he put that fuse in. No proof how much power was stole. He paid for the meter box when his power was hooked up so technically he can do what he wants with it. So he got 8 more months free power. We went the next day and took the last span of distribution (7200 volt) wires down going to his house. Pretty tough to beat that.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Grow lights cost a ton of money to run. Illicit MJ grow sites usually "jumper" the power supply from the providing utility--steal power, IOW--and this is their ultimate undoing, because if you think a utility is going to turn its back on $100,000 to $250,000 theft-of-service, guess again Carlos Moreno. These figures were derived from a clandestine residential grow site seized about a week ago locally, and published in the news.