Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: 2018 Marlin 1894C, mini range report

Banned

2018 Marlin 1894C, mini range report

You fellas may see this same post over at the Marlin forum. I posted it there for my Marlin loving brothers.

I thought that my lead slinging, lever loving neighbors here might enjoy it too.

I have been meaning to post some range results from my new 2018 1894C. I have had it to the range several times and now have right at 1000 rounds through it. It gets smoother every day. The following is by no means a thorough test and I will explain but first some background.

When I first got it I spent two days breaking in the barrel. 50 rounds of jacketed with a cleaning every 10 shots. Then 300 rounds of cast lead bullets, also with cleaning at regular intervals. The bore is smooth with excellent rifling.

I also replaced the front sight with a much shorter one. This rifle shot VERY low when new.

At the range I typically don't shoot paper targets. The outdoor range that I go to has no rangemaster and can get busy at times. Once your targets are set up it may be a while before you get a clear to go down range. So I normally set steel swingers at 50 yards, 75 yards and 100 yards. Based on a comparison with the past performance of my JM 1894CS I knew that the new rifle was just as accurate.

On my last trip a few days ago I was setting up my swingers when luck stepped in. At the 75 yard line a gentleman was removing his paper targets. I asked him if he could please leave one up for me. He was happy to oblige. I covered his holes with blue masking tape.

Back at the line I fired 3 rounds at the paper target. The photo is of my results. I am very happy to say the least. I still use the stock iron sights, not a Skinner peep like my other 1894CS. I drink too much coffee and have the shakes. I didn't use a rifle rest, just shooting from a sitting position with my elbows on the table.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1863.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	225441

The load was a Lee 385-158-RF, cast from wheel weight lead, sized to .358", tumble lubed with a light coat of Alox and loaded over 12.5 gr of 2400.

This has inspired me to do more with paper targets. I have built a small, portable target frame that breaks down for travel. I will hopefully have some time after fire season to do a thorough range test of various loads and bullet weights.

My new 1894C is a keeper.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Buddy

Smile glad to hear,

that your new marlin , works, and shoots well,

maybe things are starting to smooth out for marlin, or remlin or what ever we want to call them now,
    best one of the month,

about unique and IMR unequal, They really did duplicate it, made it equally unobtainable

Boolit Master

I want one, my LGS says they can't find one in stock anywhere.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    I want one, my LGS says they can't find one in stock anywhere.
    This is where I bought mine. They have them in stock right now.

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View...Product%20Feed

When you get it look it over real good before you accept it and start the paperwork.

Just like you would with any new gun.

Best of luck,

Steve in N CA

Will it hold 10 38 special for cowboy action?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    I don't know. Tomorrow I will get it out and see how many 38 spl's it will hold.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Mine holds ten .38's as I remember. That Lee slug works great in carbines, including those with Micro Groove.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    I checked today. Mine holds 10 rounds of 38 spl. loaded with a Lee 358-158-RF bullet. Plus one in the chamber for 11 rounds.

I had a down day today so I went to the indoor range for some quick shooting. I have been working on my .35 Whelen but I also took my new 1894C. I tried the 38 spl. loads exclusively. The Lee 158 gr bullet at .358" loaded over 3.2 gr of W231 in 38 spl cases.

Cycled flawlessly, super quiet and shoots 1 hole groups at 25 yards, the max distance of my indoor range.

Hope this helps.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Mold
    I sure hope marlins finaly getting things together again. Great guns been waiting to hear some reports like this