RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
StainLess Steel MediaGraf & SonsInline Fabrication

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6000 USD, Received: 4840 USD (81%)
We have reached our goal! Thanks to all who donated! I will be updating the donation bar in the next few days!
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206
****Due to overwhelming e-mails, I will be very slow in updating this list. Please bear with me!****

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My First Cast Bullets

Boolit Master

They look good to me. I have the same mold and I shoot them with just a little lube or Smoke's powder. You are going to be hooked now that you casted your own!

Boolit Master

Your doing great, if your having fun doing it!

(Bullets look just fine)

CW
    NRA Life member NRA Certified Pistol & Shotgun Instructor NRA Certified Rifle Coach Certified Range Officer Reloading Instructor
    REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Boolit Man
    I don't use a thermometer. I just turn the pot up all the way and have at it. I also plan to throw out the first few boolits until the mold heats up. When they start looking good, I cast away at it.

After I pour the boolits and I'm waiting for the sprue to cool, I set the mold on a hunk of lead I have on the bench just for that purpose. It acts as a heat sink and cools the boolits more quickly. Occasionally, I'll turn it over of set out a different chunk of lead when the first one starts to heat up.

It's as much art as it is science, or so it seems. You can follow all the rules and recipes you like but after that, you just have to do it. The more you do it, the more you start to get a feel for it. How your equipment works, how the boolits are formed, how they fall out of the mold, the motions you make to put it all together. Just take your time and all of that will get into your habit and you'll be the next guy telling a newbie how it all works!

As an aside, I'm still a newbie, too.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by DxieLandMan View Post
    They look good to me. I have the same mold and I shoot them with just a little lube or Smoke's powder. You are going to be hooked now that you casted your own!
    I can't wait to shoot these. It's just a matter of finding a little time to lube 'em and load 'em and head to the range. I can already fell that hook getting set.

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Your doing great, if your having fun doing it!

(Bullets look just fine)

CW
    Thanks! I am having fun with this!

Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    I don't use a thermometer. I just turn the pot up all the way and have at it. I also plan to throw out the first few boolits until the mold heats up. When they start looking good, I cast away at it.

After I pour the boolits and I'm waiting for the sprue to cool, I set the mold on a hunk of lead I have on the bench just for that purpose. It acts as a heat sink and cools the boolits more quickly. Occasionally, I'll turn it over of set out a different chunk of lead when the first one starts to heat up.

It's as much art as it is science, or so it seems. You can follow all the rules and recipes you like but after that, you just have to do it. The more you do it, the more you start to get a feel for it. How your equipment works, how the boolits are formed, how they fall out of the mold, the motions you make to put it all together. Just take your time and all of that will get into your habit and you'll be the next guy telling a newbie how it all works!

As an aside, I'm still a newbie, too.

--Wag--
    Yeah, I think I'll get a feel for it when I start casting more. This first time was really just to try it out and see what all's involved. I probably attempted about 60-70 boolits, but only ended up with this couple of dozen worth keeping. But I learned what to do as I went along. And all the advice on the forum has been a big help.

Dave

Boolit Man
    Whenever I'm casting, I get a rhythm going and before I know it, I've cast out a whole 10 lb pot of lead. It's moderately frustrating to have to wait to melt up another 10 lbs.

When I was first getting started, I cast up about 10,000 rounds of 230gr LRN .45 ACP boolits in very short order. I don't even have that much brass and still haven't shot up the 1,200 or so that I actually loaded up. But they're purty. I can't even bring myself to melt 'em back down and make 9mm which is what I've been shooting more lately.

Yes, it's addicting.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

HELP! HELP! And down the rabbit hole he falls. Welcome to the group. Be sure to put your location in. Maybe you are close to someone that can offer some hands on help .

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by daloper View Post
    HELP! HELP! And down the rabbit hole he falls. Welcome to the group. Be sure to put your location in. Maybe you are close to someone that can offer some hands on help .
    Thanks! I didn't realize I never added my location. I'll take care of that now.

Dave

I think with a bigger dipper and more temp you are on your way. When you are casting, don't stop to look at the boolits. You can keep a better pace and cull them later. A thermometer would be a good addition. I do flux even clean ingots. Some use sawdust (I do when smelting dirty lead) and some use wax or bullet lube. There are several good threads on fluxing to look at. Good luck!
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to tward and Czech_too, I've already got the bigger dipper taken care of. (Thanks again, guys )

Now that I know to get and keep my mold temperature up, and to stop looking at them as they drop out of the mold, I'm eager to try it again.

I think I'm well on my way down daloper's rabbit hole.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12