Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for recommendations on 357 Mag. Levergun

Looking for recommendations on 357 Mag. Levergun

Been trying to decide on a new firearm for plinking, and have been toying around with the idea of a handgun caliber rifle. Since I’m already setup for loading 38/357, it seems like a good fit. Was wondering what others are using and recommend for a reliable 357 lever-gun.
    My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=novalty

Get a Henry...solid rifle and made in the USA. I've got a couple Henry's now....very happy with both....a Henry fan for life.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

I’ve certainly been looking at them, but kind of like the idea of a load gate—just not sure I can justify the cost difference for something like the Uberti or Winchester 1873 for plinking.

For ammo to reload. I just use what I shoot in my BH and see how it shoots and if it need some fixing I do that when needed and keep notes.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned
    I just bought a new, made in 2018, Marlin 1894C in 357 mag.

It is terrific. I really like it.

I have owned a JM Marlin 1894CS from the 80's for many years now. The new Marlin is just as accurate as my old one.

Steve in N CA

Quote Originally Posted by novalty View Post
    I’ve certainly been looking at them, but kind of like the idea of a load gate—just not sure I can justify the cost difference for something like the Uberti or Winchester 1873 for plinking.
    Yeah...I get that. One of my Henrys is a 45-70. It does not have a load gate...but I figure if I can't hit a deer with the 5 loaded rounds that I have in it...I don't deserve the deer. Its real quick to empty though. pull the tube spring out and dump the rounds. (its more fun to shoot them though)

Its a personal preference for sure. For me...not having the additional button safety or half cock is what attracted me to them. I like the hammer transfer bar as the only safety.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

I've had a '92 Rossi carbine in .357 for several years now and it is the lightest, handiest lever rifle I own. I find it's what I grab when I'm going to the pasture. They're much less expensive that Uberti's and Winchesters and far less picky about bullet style and cartridge length than the toggle link actions, which I love. I shot a hog with mine last December using a cast hollowpoint.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy

The Henry All Weather in .357mag is the cat's meow!
    Ore'mus
    Flintlocks Rock!

So far love my new Rossi. I'd guess another 20 days till another boat arrives.. maybe with a box full of them...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Haven’t found much for reviews on the Winchester 92. Are they a worthwhile option?

Boolit Master
    Get a Rossi

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by novalty View Post
    Haven’t found much for reviews on the Winchester 92. Are they a worthwhile option?
    If you want to mount a scope, no. You'll need a Marlin or a Henry. I have a Miroku made Winchester and have found it excellent in every respect. The new Marlins are, at least the three I've acquired are very good and get smoother the more they are used. I only have purchased one Henry and have no desire to have another. But there's a bunch of people here that like them a lot. I can't speak to Rossi, they have an excellent reputation for strength and again, a bunch of people have them and like them. Like the Miroku, you need to be pretty creative if you want to mount a scope.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

I have never had a problem with my Rossi with .357 or 38 spl.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

If you can get your hands on the old pre-safety Marlin 1894C, you will have one of the best 357 leverguns I think has ever been mass produced. No crossbolt safety, "gold" trigger, slick action and microgroove JM stamped tube. It loves 158's and really loves 180's.

Banned
    Another vote for the Rossi. Wish I still had mine.

When I got it the interior surfaces looked like they had been machined with rocks but with a little work it cleaned up nicely.

Banned

I have two Rossi M92s which have been tuned by the best of the best SASS gunsmiths. Very slick guns. Not ths fastest, but the strongest. NOE has a scope mount for these. Compared to my two JM 45 Colts, two .45/70 JMs, and Winchesters, Mossbergs and JM 30-30s, I am happy with the Rossi M92. Unless I had a convient way to get any new gun tuned I would pay for an older JM or new Winchester. I would just get the new Marlin and pray it runs OK. I will say that my M92 Rossis all slicked up are my favorites.

Boolit Buddy

Marlin, Browning, Winchester and Rossi, I have or have had, they're all great. I've never had a Henry but the people that do sure do brag on them a lot.
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

mattw has best advice, the pre Saftey JM Marlin 1894 is the best 357 that has been produced. I
    had two of them when they were first out and wish I hadn't sold them. They are hard to find but
    they are out there. I had a Rossi Puma for awhile, it functioned ok but I wasn't impressed with its
    accuracy. I would not want to give advice on buying a new Marlin at this time. Some guys are
    lucky and get a good one, others get lemons. Myself I'm done with Marlin & Remington. I will
    still deal on pre safety JMs and the older milled Rems, but no new ones.

Banned

For that coin you can get a new Winchester or an Italian 73 clone

Boolit Buddy
    I have a longer barreled Marlin presafety in 38/357 and highly recommend it. I also have a 16 inch 1980’s Puma, that Nate Kiowa Jones helped sort out. It would s also a winner with correct length ammo. That’s the long and the short of it�� Both are very capable firearms...but I reload and tailor the rounds to each gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast