MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for recommendations on 357 Mag. Levergun

Boolit Master
    I have a Henry Big Boy brass in 44 Magnum. I have not really decided whether to keep it, or go with trading for a Rossi 92. For one thing the Henry is about 2 pounds heavier than the Rossi, next, it does not have a loading gate, and last, the rear sight is problematic as far as adjustment. If I keep it I intend to get the Skinner peep sight and it is around $100 or so. I have been trying various 44 Special cast loads, and I have yet to find one that is accurate. Still up in the air over keeping it.

Boolit Master

Counting just "Pistol" Calibers;
    Rossi for 30+yrs in .44Mag, 25yrs in .357Mag & .44WCF.
    MARLIN 1894CS 35+yrs, 1894CB 23+yrs .45COLT, .357Mag, .44Mag. All 3 first year production 24" bbl rifles.
    UBERTI 1866 .45COLT Carbine, 1873 .44WCF Carbine & RIFLE.
    You couldn't give me a free "henry", seen to many **** out at SASS Matches.

And getting an action job, particularly on a new gun. No I wouldn't consider it until I had put a 1000 rds thru the rifle. That allows you to find a bullet/load combo that will suit whatever your need for the Rifle/Carbine is.

Unless you entend to become a VERY SERIOUS SASS COMPETITOR, YOU NEED TO AVERAGE 2 SHOOTING SESSIONS A WEEK, 500RDS PER SESSION.
    I would not get an action job. After that 1st 1000 rds the gun will be pretty smooth.
    I made the mistake of having the First Cowboy Action Gunsmith "Ringo" do an action job on my new UBERTI 1873 rifle. Good LORD it became loose & sloppy, the LEVER would fall down an inch, tying up the gun. I had to take it to the EMF Inc Company GUNSMITH to get it rebuilt.

Is you want a fun gun, buy a ROSSI or MARLIN. MARLINS are easy to scope for accuracy testing. And if you put a WILLIAM'S FoolProof peep sight on a 1894C you should be able to get 1" - 1 1/2" groups at 50yds.

WINCHESTER, I wouldn't buy. 12+yrs ago an AMERICAN MADE Model 94 cost $4-500Dollars, today the japanese made guns are 3X that.

Go to a Big Gun Store and fondle them, ask at the Range of folks shooting them.
    If you ask a SASS Shooter, he'll most likely tell you to buy a 1873 "Brush Popper" and get a short stroke kit with an aluminum cartridge lifter from a GUNSMITH. About $300 added to a $1500 gun.

Hope I haven't confused you too much. GOOD LUCK with whatever you choose.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Marlin. If they made it in 44-40 or 32-20 I would get one. My Rossis were accurate but they all needed help to work right. The 73s are too heavy and delicate for me. But I'm a hunter, not a CAS player.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I think that you will be happy with about any modern rifle. Each has its lil quirks. Weather that overall high cost, or availability.

I am lucky enough to have a older Marlin that's the cats meow. But I have had a Rossi and a couple Winchester '92's. Ergos its the '92 or its clones hands down. The Henry is newer, by all accounts it looks, feels and appears to be every bit as good as any other. Overall I would take the OLDER Marlin '94.

Here is my Marlin.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banned

I had Jim Bowie at The Cowboys and Indians store tune one of mine. He had a sign saying no 92s, but he was out and his wife said she would talk to him. He also did one of my Blackhawks. The difference between the stock Rossi M92 and the tuned M92 is huge. The other was done by Nate Kiowa Jones aka Steve's Gunz. Again, the diffrrence is huge. Both took some waiting, but well worth the wait. Go to the best gunsmith you can find.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Marlin. If they made it in 44-40 or 32-20 I would get one. My Rossis were accurate but they all needed help to work right. The 73s are too heavy and delicate for me. But I'm a hunter, not a CAS player.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Marlin made the '94 in both calibers and a couple versions thru the years.

CW

Boolit Master
    try to find a jm marlin youll be happy

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I think that you will be happy with about any modern rifle. Each has its lil quirks. Weather that overall high cost, or availability.

I am lucky enough to have a older Marlin that's the cats meow. But I have had a Rossi and a couple Winchester '92's. Ergos its the '92 or its clones hands down. The Henry is newer, by all accounts it looks, feels and appears to be every bit as good as any other. Overall I would take the OLDER Marlin '94.

Here is my Marlin.

CW
    This is a sweet looking JM
    I have 6 and none have wood as nice as that. The grain is fantastic.

Boolit Master

I gave my pop my second and it has plain wood too.. Not as good as a "regular" marlin!

I have been lucky I guess

I have a number of Marlins with nice wood.

Here is my 32-20

This is a 375S

This is a more plain 45 LTD

CW

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chad5005 View Post
    try to find a jm marlin youll be happy
    The prices on the JMs keep going up. Fine by me. I recently got another .45 Colt and another 45/70. I think investment-wise they will keep climbing.

I guess Gunbroker is not the place to look for JM Marlin 94’s. There more expensive than a new Winchester 92 or 73. Will keep it in mind during my search. I’m just looking for a reliable plinking gun to take to the range—don’t plan on getting into Cowboy Action shooting. I’m already setup to load 38 and 357 and have a bunch of components, and a Levergun sounds like a fun addition to have at the range. Really appreciate everyone’s advice.
    My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=novalty

Need to get out more.
    Been out of the loop on values over the last year, as I don't want to buy another safe...
    Have too many 93's, 36's, 336s...

Pre-safety 94C with maybe ...MAYBE 50 rounds through it.
    What's it worth in 100% condition?
    A safe queen, it's a sweet shooter with a peep sight. With .38 RN loads, it simply cannot miss beveridge cans out to 50 yards[/B]
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Bub
    I had lusted for a Marlin for quite some time but was unwilling to pay the going rate for one. Two months ago I lucked into a deal on a JM (with safety) that I couldn't pass up. It's been even better than I imagined it could be and quickly became my all time favorite rifle. A joy to handle and shoot. My grandson is already casting covetous eyes on it after shooting it.

The newly released 1894C's are getting good reviews by those who have actually bought them and I would buy one with hesitation.
    All that is neccessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing.

Edmund Burke

Boolit Buddy
    I have a new Winchester 92 and I love it. The trigger is the slickest I have ever witnessed on a lever gun. The barrel is very smooth. Fit and finish is great throughout. I didn’t think I would like the tang safety but I was wrong. It is great when handling the gun crossing fences and things like that, and also when unloading. It cost twice as much as a Rossi and I only got the Winchester because it was the only 357/38 levergun I could find at the time. I am glad no Rossi was available now, because this thing is worth the price. Very slick handling and accurate too.
    I am pleased! No tuning or gunsmithing necessary.
    Last edited by rockydoc; 08-18-2018 at 05:15 PM.
    NRA Lifetime member since 1956, NRA Endowment Member. Reloading since 1954. CBA Member Navy Vietnam Veteran USS Intrepid CVA 11

Boolit Master

MARLIN made a special run of .44WCF 1984 CB's just after the first run of Cowboy rifles.

They sent the receivers to ITALY to have them engraved & color case hardened. Then they came back to be assembled here by MARLIN. About $1500 each, the std CB was $500. Had a friend buy one, slugged the bore .430dia. Chambers were tight when loaded with .430 bullets. Thin REMINGTON was the only brass that would chamber with the blasted .430 bullets. I think he may have sold it off after He retired to NC.

I heard they may have made some std 1894CB in 44WCF. But I never saw one.

Two of my friends bought/shot ROSSI '92's right out of the box without a problem. Two .45 COLTS & 1 .44MAG, all 20" carbines, none of my ROSSI's ever needed GUNSMITHING either.

Only thing I can say is, some of them need to be fully stripped down and cleaned to remove the metal shavings left over from SOME prodution runs.
    Last edited by Walks; 08-18-2018 at 09:45 PM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Novalty, I bought the Muroku 92 short rifle a few months back. Since attaching a scope is not feasable and having geezer eyesight my first range sessions were pretty pathetic. I got a fiber optic front and a bullseye rear and really hunkered and got about 1.25" groups with all three loads tried @ 50yds. It is a well made and fitted shooter with excellent wood. I own two pre remington Marlins 39A and 94CL plus a post war 94 Winchester and the Muroku (sp) is as nice or better than those.

Boolit Master

I have an early (1971) Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag and a Rossi 92 in .357 and, IMO, there's not a lot to choose from between the two. No complaints on function with either gun and both, with the right load, are as accurate as I can hold with factory irons. I've never liked the 'feel' of a Henry...too heavy and, in my hands, has all the balance of a hunk of T-bar. No experience with a Winchester/Miroku, myself, so I'll only say they seem way overpriced. Just my nickel's worth.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

I have owned in .357 caliber:
    1. Winchester 94AE--Very accurate,will not hold up to a lot of shooting(thousands of rds) due to parts breaking and unavailability of parts.
    2.Browning B92--Nice gun, well made, high dollar, no more accurate or smoother than a tuned Rossi.
    3. Henry--Not as smooth as the 92's and a pound heavier than other carbines.
    4. Marlin--Had one of the last JM Marlins. Was rough, did not feed reliably and accuracy was so-so
    5. Rossi--Can be a bit stiff when new, easily and cheaply tuned by a person with a modicum of mechanical ability. Reasonably priced and accurate. Carbines are D&T'd for a scout scope mount.
    I've owned all of the above and still have 2 Rossi's with multiple thousands of rds. through both. The rest have all gone down the road for one reason or another. Just my opinion of the pistol cartridge lever guns.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12