Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Quick ? on vintage Redding Powder Measures

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

Quick ? on vintage Redding Powder Measures

I have a fellow who is going to give me a vintage Redding powder measure - I'm not sure of the model # but I'm guessing from the 50s or 60s? He got it in a box of stuff at a yard sale - haven't seen it yet. He knew what it was but was interested in some micrometers that were in the box - he doesn't reload so he'll get it to me eventually.

Anyway . . . he said the plastic powder chamber tube on top of the measure is in pretty rough shape. I'm guessing someone may have left powder in it at one time - but other than that, everything seems to move smoothly and work. From his description, it sounds like a bench mount model. Not being familiar with Redding items- are the replacement plastic powder reservoirs that are available the same size? i.e. - diameter wise? I think they are available in two different lengths - one for pistol loading and a longer one for rifle loading. From what he says, it is attached with two screws through the main casting to hold it in place.

So . . if I go ahead and order a new one, will it fit? Or did they change diameters of the reservoir at some point in time?

Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    You should be able to get a replacement res. for it. But I would wait till it was in hand. I bought mine in the late 60s. My first measure (box says it cost $14.50) bought a Redding scale at the same time (same price). I left powder in it and after a few years, it first, discolored and then shriveled up like a prune! (The new replacements still recommend that you not leave powder in them) I first replaced it with one found at a gun show, an old Pacific res., a little smaller in dia. but I just used a little silicone tub sealer and it has been in place for maybe 20 years. The res. that is on the measure now has sometimes gone 6 months with powder in it and is still clear and unpuckered! I found a spray can top, shaving cream, I think to use as a lid as the old metal Redding top is to big. Still have the replacement Redding but never installed (got the replacement 4 or 5 years ago) The Redding is one of 6 or 8 measures I own and use. It is still my fav.!

Boolit Master
    Accurate Arms and Ammo has Redding powder measure parts.I bought a reservoir,drop tube,and the reservoir screws from them about a year ago.My measure is the Redding Hunter.

Thanks fellas - appreciate the information. As Binky suggested, I'll wait until I have it in my hands before I order a new reservoir for it so I get the correct diameter in case there is a variety of them. I plan on cleaning it up if necessary first and if everything looks kosher on it, I'll order a reservoir/cap and then make a nice looking wood stand for it to sit on the bench for use.

Thanks again!

Jim

If it’s the measure I think it is, I have one and love it! Midway also sells the reservoirs in 9” and 11” lengths as I recall. They also sell the replacement screws. Both are direct replacements.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Thanks for the info - just checked Midway and once I get the measure, I'll probably order a replacement from them as I have several other things to order as well.

This brings up another question. I am planning to use this for small pistol charges if it will meter O.K. with the powders I use - BE, Red Dot, Green Dot and Unique - might be "iffy" on some but I'll play with it and see how consistentent it is.

My Lyman 55s have the shorter pistole reservoir on them. If I'm replacing the reservoir on the Redding, is their any advantage in going to the taller reservoir as far as powder column in the reservoir, bridging, etc.? Easy enough to add powder and keep the reservoir full for either short or long one - just wondering if there are any advantages to the taller one over the shorter one - other than dropping larger charges for rifles and not needing to refill more often?

Thanks.

Boolit Master
    I use both sizes of Lyman 55 reservoirs.I haven't noticed any advantage as far as charge uniformity.The larger reservoirs are an advantage when loading large capacity cases.

I went with the shorter one for space reasons, with a baffle it meters fine.
    I also use a lot of Unique and it’s the most accurate measure I have for that powder. I want to say it will throw a charge just under one grain to around 105grs using Unique, I’d try it before changing anything, I wish Redding still sold this measure because it’s so versatile.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Master
    I bought mine, a number 3, in 1960 and it still works great. I throw all my charges and check every hundredth one. It has been so long since one was off so much as 1/10 grains that I can not remember. The secret to consistency is consistent operation, the same speed, the same force. If I feel a grain hang up I immediately drop the charge back in the hopper and rethrow.

My most commonly used powders include RD, BD, Unique, 4198, H335, BL-C 2, 748, 4350, 4831.

The Redding is a quality piece of equipment.

Boolit Master

I have one of the Redding measures that belonged to my uncle. It was bought by him in the 1950’s. I have loaded red dot @ 5.0 grains all the way up to 58 grains of 4350 and it loads all dead. On. I did replace the powder tube after it became discolored. James