Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying a pressure canner

That is the canner we have and it is absolutely great. Holds pressure at 10 psi very well. Doesn't spike up or down. No rubber seal to replace and will last forever. We have an older smaller All American that was made in 1948 that is still working fine. Replaced the gauge when we got it. You will not be disappointed. The two tier loading is a Godsend when you are doing big batches of something. Mrs. Thumbcocker and I did 36 pints of green beans on Saturday it two batches.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Made an offer on Ebay and purchased one. Was surprised it was accepted so am happy
    Appreciate the feedback.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I love my All American. Same one as in Post #3. Just do not forget to put the thin film of Vasoline around the rim when you seal it.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndog View Post
    We have 2 Mirro brand canners that are about 45 years old and outside of replacing gaskets a couple of times they are as good as new. Ours don't have a guage and rely on a weight system to keep pressures safe. we've not had the first problem with that system.
    What he said, except ours are semi-retired now, and we have had and used them for over 50 years. They work great, what else can you say?

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ripshod View Post
    I am no expert but I would buy one of the Walmart canners with the weights to control the pressure.Guages should be checked yearly,nothing to wory about with the weights.ripshod
    Uh no. It has a weight that controls pressure but ALSO a gauge unlike the cheapies. All are suggested to have the extension service of the Agriculture dept. test them.

I do not like canners needing a rubber or plastic washer to seal them. In fact we have 2 All American canners 1 big 21/ 1/2 and a smaller one. We use them on a commercial hot plate instead of the stove top. We can a couple hundred jars every year.

Boolit Master
    I inherited a smaller All American that does 4 quarts or 7 pints. They really are the gold standard for pressure canners. I would love to have one of the big ones but I have a Presto with a warped bottom instead. I have to run it outside on a turkey fryer burner because our electric stove won’t get hot enough.

I can imagine an All American surviving for generations of continuous use.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Banned

been doing it for 10 years on a glass topped electric with absolutely on problem. I did have a can of spegetti sause fall out of the cubbord and shatter one though. Mines an old national #7 that was given to me probably 15 years ago for free from a buddy. New gasket about once every 3 years and its worked just fine. I do have one of those fancy electric digital ones too but I use it to cook with not to can. I just don't trust a canner that I cant tell what the pressure is inside to can meat.
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    glass range tops should never be used for pressure canning, they have a tendency to shatter do to the heat and weight and vibration. you may have gotten away with it but it is a ticking time bomb.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 08-15-2018 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    Been using Presto 23 qt from wal mart for past 40 years, for that price you could get 2, let one cool while filling and heating second one. It’s the heat up and cool down that takes time to do right. Don’t over do these canners takes time to get up to temp. Don’t rush heat up cycle or cool down cycle.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-23...-01781/2625289

Boolit Master

I'm using the pressure canner my mom used. I can remember her using as far back as 1955, I think she bought it used then. It simply says ward's 19 "pressure cooker". It holds 7 quart jars. I use it simply as a hot bath canner for tomato salsa and my hot pickled veggie mix or dill pickles. As such I don't need to put the top on to actually pressurize the jars, just bring to a boil around the jars, for a couple of minutes, then seal them up. No failures if the jars are sterilized first. It's called the hot bath method.

I also watched mom can chicken meat using the pressure lid and the green jars with the zinc tops and rubber tab seals. Those were the old hens that were 3 years old and not laying eggs as much.

So snowwolf what are you caning?
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    Snuffy,
    Right now the plan is to can venison and tomatoes. When our peach trees start to drop more than we can eat, peaches. Am sure we will expand on our selections in the future.
    East Tennessee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12