Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith 57-6 41 mag will shoot!

Smith 57-6 41 mag will shoot!

I shot a few 6 shot 25 yard groups yesterday with my smith 57-6 41 magnum that I picked up this past year. Those groups are about as good as I can hold. I always have one out of six that opens the group up a little but that is likely me. I define good six gun accuracy as 2 inches or less for 6 shots at 25 yards. If I did best 5 of six I would have many an inch or less which is what most do. With a five shooter I do five. Gun is well put together and finish is good.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	225417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0385.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	225418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	225417

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've never seen a model 57 that wouldn't shoot good groups, I haven't shot the model 58 I just received yesterday.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    I've never seen a model 57 that wouldn't shoot good groups, I haven't shot the model 58 I just received yesterday.
    Steve
    You’ll enjoy that 58. I’ve got one and it’s a constant range companion. 7gr 231 with any 210-220gr will do anywhere between 875-950 depending on gun from the chrony results of 4-6.5” barrels

Boolit Master
    Smiths in .41 Magnum always seem to shoot good...

Found a 4 cavity Lyman 410459 that cast a good bullet at about 220 grains that shoots well in that sixgun with 7.5 grains of unique. I have not had the leading problems some report with newer Smiths but I shot several hundred jacketed through it. I hate to admit it but a 215 grain magma mold type commercial bullet shot great with a midrange load of accurate number 5 .i usually dislike the commercial bevel base bullets but those shot extremely well in the 57-6 classic. Going to try some 41 cal 220 Keith bullets from an arsenal mound with 19 grains of 2400 and see if they will hold 2 inches or less at 25 yards.What are others accuracy standards for sixguns ? Just curious

Dogdoc

Boolit Grand Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5F6D9C67-B6F6-49CF-B4F4-9C0CF9EEF3CA.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	225457

This is 10 shots using the saeco bb 215gr commercial with 7gr 231 at 25 yards using my PC hunter model on a rest.

Is that the old style rifling or new?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Old or new in a S&W???
    Steve
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I don’t know. It doesn’t have the 2 piece barrels they’re selling nowadays on some of their models

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I don’t know. It doesn’t have the 2 piece barrels they’re selling nowadays on some of their models
    My 57-6 classic has sharp looking rifling unlike an older ecm rifled 625 mountain gun I have that has rounder looking rifling. Surprisingly the 625 does not lead badly. The new 657-6 I have may be ecm type but it looks like broach and shoots lead bullets well. I do think you need to shoot several hundred jacketed bullets through the new guns before going to cast.

dogdoc, please, explain ecm rifling? Acronym for what or something new? I, for one, have never heard of this(i'm 70 and have followed S&Ws for most of my life)?
    Steve
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Could mean EDM (Electro Discharge Machining) where you use current pulses to cut a barrel to match the rifling button, instead of using mechanical force to cut? Not certain but I've seen EDM used a lot and not heard of ECM; Typos happen!

Yes, I understand Electornic Discharge Milling but, don't remember any discussion of this with S&Ws?
    Steve
    Life member AF&AM 294

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Could mean EDM (Electro Discharge Machining) where you use current pulses to cut a barrel to match the rifling button, instead of using mechanical force to cut? Not certain but I've seen EDM used a lot and not heard of ECM; Typos happen!
    It is actually electro chemical machining. There is much info on it if you google ecm and smith and Wesson. What I have read is that they started it in 1993. Some say it is more likely to lead than broached barrels. My newer Smith’s seem to be fine but I like to shoot several hundred jacketed bullets before I start shooting cast

Well. I did a search on ecm and Engine Control Module, enterprise content management, ECM Records seems like everything but, what you're talking about? Please, list a link? I have some experience at machining but, never done anything with chemicals?
    Steve
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Master
    Steve,
    Although it doesn't reference S&W, I did find this to explain ECM:

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

obssd1958. I know the title and video said ECM but, looked like every other EDM I've seen work? Never even heard chemicals mentioned? Did you watch it?
    Steve
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I watched it and several others. I wouldn't have posted it, had I not watched it .
    At the very beginning they refer to the process being based on electrolysis. Later they mention that the "electrode" makes no contact with the workpiece "electrically or mechanically". Then "the workpiece in it's raw form is eroded, via an electrochemical process".

The following is from Wikipedia:

ECM is often characterized as "reverse electroplating", in that it removes material instead of adding it.[2] It is similar in concept to electrical discharge machining (EDM) in that a high current is passed between an electrode and the part, through an electrolytic material removal process having a negatively charged electrode (cathode), a conductive fluid (electrolyte), and a conductive workpiece (anode); however, in ECM there is no tool wear.[1] The ECM cutting tool is guided along the desired path close to the work but without touching the piece. Unlike EDM, however, no sparks are created. High metal removal rates are possible with ECM, with no thermal or mechanical stresses being transferred to the part, and mirror surface finishes can be achieved.

and is an excerpt from here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrochemical_machining

I really know nothing more about this than the limited info that I have read, viewed, and passed on - due to your question!

I hope I've been helpful!

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

I will have to figure out how to post a link but if you google”ecm and smith and Wesson “ you will get info on it. I just did it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast