Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Fear or lack of it

Boolit Buddy

Fear or lack of it

Am almost 72 now and still in good health. Take no medications and can still do a lot of physical work. I fear living and getting to the point of not being able to fend and take care of myself more than death itself. Am a believer in the here after and look forward to meeting my Maker. Death is going to happen to us all, you can run from it but eventually it will get you, I have finally made my peace with it. As my days are getting shorter I think about this a lot. Are there others that feel this way?

Boolit Master

The fear of the lord is the beginning of wisdom.
    As you have observed, death finds all of us.

Seek your redemption and rest easy in your destination.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Banned

Yes, more and more

New International Version Hebrews 10:31
    It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    Am almost 72 now and still in good health. Take no medications and can still do a lot of physical work. I fear living and getting to the point of not being able to fend and take care of myself more than death itself. Am a believer in the here after and look forward to meeting my Maker. Death is going to happen to us all, you can run from it but eventually it will get you, I have finally made my peace with it. As my days are getting shorter I think about this a lot. Are there others that feel this way?
    I am close to your age and have no fear of dying.
    We could still have 30 years or more left in our lives.
    I too am concerned about not being able to take care of myself in the "later" years.
    I'm still 27 years old ...in my head, but feel the aches in my older body after doing yard work etc..
    I do not want to leave a mess with my house and belongings for my family to have to deal with so I have been getting rid of stuff I do not use anymore and am organizing important paperwork to make things easier.
    Getting a Living Trust is also in the works.

I also look forward to meeting my "Maker" and getting out of this materialistic hell hole life on earth.
    So much sadness and suffering everywhere. It's depressing...but I am not depressed.
    I am happy and have a good life (physically and spiritually) but to your question...Yes, I do think about it like you do.

Boolit Master
    I'm 57 and I think about it! Working in healthcare you realize youth is no guardian against death. Being 72 just means statically your getting closer to your expiration date, but we all have one, and it may be closer than I know! BUT, there is much wisdom in not leaving a mess for someone to clean up after you.

A co-worker and friend's father was an avid firearm collector. He sold off a bunch before passing, but left a huge amount for his two children to disperse. The very rare, high dollar pieces are the ones that are a night mare because you have to find the RITE buyer, or just give them away at an auction. Currently these said guns are in a vault because they just won't bring what is asked for them. I suggest if you have any of these kinds of firearms you make a concerted effort to sell those first, to the rite owner!

Boolit Grand Master
    He is our Father. He is not to be feared but He is to be respected and honored.
    Don Verna

I watched my dad live to 93. Last 5 years he was legally blind with Macular degeneration. He could with the aid of a walker get from bed to bathroom, from there to chair in living room, slowly. Frail, yes.

His chief pastime was yelling at mom. And I mean bellering like a bull bellering if he did not get the answer he wanted the first time. Mom of course had no where to go, so she found a place in her head where she did not hear him. Checked out, lights are on but nobody's home.

It would have been better if they had both died 3 to 10 years sooner.

The question I have is a hard one. Is it suicide to stop giving the body what it needs to survive?

3 minutes without air will do it. 3 days without water. If the paperwork is done ahead of time, correctly.

Can a person just will themselves to stop? Is that wrong? I suspect on some level it is.
    But I don't think it is AS wrong as suicide.

If the Lord called me, I could go tommorow with very few if any regrets.
    I am not afraid to die. We all came into this world the same way, naked, wet, and squalling about it.

I suspect we all go out more or less the same way.

Until we have passed through that door we call death I don't know that anyone can be 100% sure of what is on the far side. But I also know what our Lord has promised us, and I know he does not lie.

Much to think about.

Boolit Master
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...26-RIP-cpileri

A prime example of what I was talking about.

Moderator Emeritus

Oweja, thinking of death is something that political correctness abhors, but it's one of the most functional and crucial things we have to think about. It's said that on being born, only death and taxes are certain, but some folks evade paying taxes, so that makes death the ONLY thing we know for absolutely certain that we'll have to do one day. And when it happens, our lives here is over. I've long thought of this world as a testing and proving ground, so the Lord can separate the wheat from the chaff in the next. Seems to make good sense, to me, anyway. And the Bible itself recommends that we think often of death - our own and that of others - that we might better understand our place in this world more fully and completely.

It may not be PC these days, but it's STILL very, very functional. Nothing makes us take our selves and our lives quite so seriously as thoughts that one day we will die. For the nihlistic cynics of this world, that tends to be interpreted as "Eat, drink and make merry for tomorrow we die." To Christians, it's the promise of a better world to come, and the fulfillment of all Christ's and God's promises to us. Quite a different result, comparing one of those against the other!

If we know that what we say, do, think and feel counts for something, and echoes through time again and again, then we'll just naturally be more careful and probably kinder in our actions. If we think all is for naught, then we may do most anything, for "it really doesn't matter anyhow."

This is what thinking of death can do for us. If we've done mostly good in this life, and are believers, then we know we'll be leaving behind some really good things. If we've been callous and irreverent, then we'll inevitably wind up wondering if there's some sort of price for that. And we humans are NOT merely creatures who come to know things by intellect alone. After all, there's "unlearned behavior" like a baby's crying, their suckling (having never done that in the womb), and ... I believe ... the certain knowledge via some "sense" that we have that nobody has ever quite explained very well, that God IS real, and He DOES love us and want us to be generally happy and satisfied, though He may let us err so that we can learn to do better.

Thinking on death really IS a very productive and crucial thing to ponder on. We "moderns" really need to think on it a lot more often than we do, I think.

Banned
    What the hell does a person have to fear anymore when the only things that matter to them, are the very things they DONT have, have NEVER had, and most likely will NEVER have?

**** I wish I could have 10 minutes inside a commercial freezer with a steel rack system in it.