RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationStainLess Steel MediaRepackboxGraf & Sons
Lee Precision
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Ed's Red Strikes again!

  1. #1
    Boolit Master

    HABCAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    East Central Alberta, Kanada
    Posts
    894

    Ed's Red Strikes again!

    This is nuts: I hardly believe it myself, but it WORKED!

    I must have inherited a bit of my mother's allergic reaction to mosquito bites, for recently I acquired a few dozen and they were driving me crazy, all swollen up and resisting commercial topical solutions like 'Afterbite'. The 'solutions' ran out, of course on Sunday when no resupply was available. Ed's Red was there, close at hand. WTH? Try anything! A dab here, a dab there..........PRESTO!! Itch all gumbah! Darned if I can explain why. So if any of you out there are in similar straits, Thank You Ed!!! I'm not suggesting a long treatment, just a temporary relief. YMMV.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

  2. #2
    Boolit Master

    nicholst55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Daegu, Korea
    Posts
    2,843
    Ballistol may also work, if you happen to have any on hand. The German army used it on leather, guns, people, and animals (for external use only).
    Boycott YouTube

  3. #3
    Boolit Grand Master Outpost75's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Posts
    6,185
    Cures mange on dogs too.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 08-11-2018 at 09:04 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

  4. #4
    Boolit Master
    Mal Paso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Carmel, Ca
    Posts
    2,113
    Quote Originally Posted by HABCAN View Post
    This is nuts: I hardly believe it myself, but it WORKED!

    I must have inherited a bit of my mother's allergic reaction to mosquito bites, for recently I acquired a few dozen and they were driving me crazy, all swollen up and resisting commercial topical solutions like 'Afterbite'. The 'solutions' ran out, of course on Sunday when no resupply was available. Ed's Red was there, close at hand. WTH? Try anything! A dab here, a dab there..........PRESTO!! Itch all gumbah! Darned if I can explain why. So if any of you out there are in similar straits, Thank You Ed!!! I'm not suggesting a long treatment, just a temporary relief. YMMV.
    The full recipe with Acetone and Lanolin?
    Mal

    Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

  5. #5
    Boolit Master

    HABCAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    East Central Alberta, Kanada
    Posts
    894
    I don't remember adding lanolin, but acetone certainly.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

  6. #6
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    california
    Posts
    623
    Here we have a major problem with yellow jackets. I found that wd 40 works well for those. Adolf's meat tenderizer works pretty good too, but don't like running in the house when the wd 40 is under the work bench. By the way, wd 40 also kills them if you hit them with it on the nest.

  7. #7
    Boolit Grand Master



    jonp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Planet Reality
    Posts
    5,350
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Ballistol may also work, if you happen to have any on hand. The German army used it on leather, guns, people, and animals (for external use only).
    I just used some for that. Ballistol works pretty good for skin ailments and minor stuff like that.
    Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

    Bastiat

    Non nobis Domine,
    non nobis,
    sed nomini tuo da gloriam

    Crux Sacra Sit Mihi Lux

    Tu Ne Cede Malis

  8. #8
    I have had good luck with apple cider vinegar, seems to take the itch away

  9. #9
    Boolit Buddy

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    west Tn
    Posts
    182
    A couple weeks ago when weed eating my electric fences, the chiggers got into my boots and settled in my socks. When I pulled my socks off my ankles were one solid chigger bite, itching like crazy and driving me mad. After taking a shower googled home remedies for chigger bites and one is vapo rub like Vicks salve with salt mixed and spread on the bites. Had to sit around with my pants legs up to let the air to my ankles and this works really well, stops the itching and the salt draws the moisture from the chigger bites and they were healed in a day. The camphor and menthol give a cooling effect while releaving the itch.

  10. #10
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    california
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    A couple weeks ago when weed eating my electric fences, the chiggers got into my boots and settled in my socks. When I pulled my socks off my ankles were one solid chigger bite, itching like crazy and driving me mad. After taking a shower googled home remedies for chigger bites and one is vapo rub like Vicks salve with salt mixed and spread on the bites. Had to sit around with my pants legs up to let the air to my ankles and this works really well, stops the itching and the salt draws the moisture from the chigger bites and they were healed in a day. The camphor and menthol give a cooling effect while releaving the itch.
    Good to know. A few years ago, my wife and I, plus a friend went to a shotgun match and got into the chiggers. It is amazing where those little buggers will go. (use your imagination and you won't be far off) My wife suffered with them for days and she had a LOT of them.

  11. #11
    Boolit Buddy

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    west Tn
    Posts
    182
    Fast Ronnie as my step daughter says, they migrate to where your underwear fit the tightest. Often wonder why God created chiggers, still can't think of a reason.

  12. #12
    Boolit Master


    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,523
    I hates chiggers. But they die at 42 degrees F
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check