Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Okra.....Looking for recipe's ! How do you fix it ?

Boolit Master
    Yes Jon I meant don’t let pot run dry, cause it cooks fast not much water to begin with. Also you can steam it with the caps on. Better way to cook it.

Boolit Master

Frying green tomatoes, okra and the like....
    DRY, WET, DRY
    wash and slice, dry on paper towels. You need 3 containers from left to right they contain
    1) all purpose flour, 2) egg wash which is whole egg plus equal amount of water wisked together, 3) all purpose flour with corn meal seasoned with salt and pepper to taste.
    with dry left hand dredge material in flour, coating well and drop into egg wash. with right hand take wettened product and drop into 2nd flour mixture. with dry left hand coat again in dry mixture and remove to collander to shake off excess lightly. Drop into 325* oil and fry until light brown. Drain and eat. Don't crowd the fryer or slap yo mamma.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    In Louisiana we call it Smothered Okra , okra, tomatos , onions, peppers , celery all slowly simmered and cooked down , except we serve everything over rice.
    Basically the same recipe just with a different name, funny how cooking works.
    Gary
    Not at all! The okra and sauce are not cooked down together, they are tossed together, after cooking separate. The okra very much keeps it's identity both in form and taste. To me smothered okra is more like a thick stew.

For boiling, or stewing, I like the pods around 2-3 inches long with the base cut short, but not into the pod. I cook these in butter, in a small covered pan to steam in the butter, until just beginning to become soft, add seasoning, and enjoy whole. There not very slimy this way because you don't cut the pods open.

Boolit Master

Back after 2 surgeries,10 weeks of doing nothing and now severe limits til Thanksgiving. So... did some cooking. New okra recipe is , tin foil on baking sheet sprayed with Pam, place washed, 1/2" slices " wagon wheel" on sheet. Spray them lightly with Pam, sprinkle bacon bits over them. Bake on 350° for about 30 min, sprinikle favorite shredded cheese over them for last 10 min. Can use a little bacon grease on tin foil instead of Pam. Enjoy.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 10-x View Post
    Back after 2 surgeries,10 weeks of doing nothing and now severe limits til Thanksgiving. So... did some cooking. New okra recipe is , tin foil on baking sheet sprayed with Pam, place washed, 1/2" slices " wagon wheel" on sheet. Spray them lightly with Pam, sprinkle bacon bits over them. Bake on 350° for about 30 min, sprinikle favorite shredded cheese over them for last 10 min. Can use a little bacon grease on tin foil instead of Pam. Enjoy.
    10-X , Good one !
    Anything with bacon bits , bacon grease and cheese can't taste anything but good...adding this one to my okra recipe repertoire.... I just love quick and easy preparation and Q & E clean up (throw away the foil and you done) Winner , Winner !

Glad to have you back , I will put a few words in my prayers for your speedy and successful recovery.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Frying green tomatoes, okra and the like....
    DRY, WET, DRY
    wash and slice, dry on paper towels. You need 3 containers from left to right they contain
    1) all purpose flour, 2) egg wash which is whole egg plus equal amount of water wisked together, 3) all purpose flour with corn meal seasoned with salt and pepper to taste.
    with dry left hand dredge material in flour, coating well and drop into egg wash. with right hand take wettened product and drop into 2nd flour mixture. with dry left hand coat again in dry mixture and remove to collander to shake off excess lightly. Drop into 325* oil and fry until light brown. Drain and eat. Don't crowd the fryer or slap yo mamma.
    HT,

I'm sittin' at the dining room table, i hope you are busy in the kitchen. i am going to give this a try with green maters.

BB

Boolit Master

At each stage shake off the excess, trying to coat too much tends to make globs instead of a coating. You can use Panko crumbs for the last stage to make a more "professional" finish. Watch the oil temp too, consistent temp around 325 makes a perfect fry.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12