RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okra.....Looking for recipe's ! How do you fix it ?

Boolit Grand Master

Okra.....Looking for recipe's ! How do you fix it ?

The okra plants are making pods like there's going to be no tomorrow, I can cut it twice a day and still not keep up. Right now I fix it four different ways :

1.) Pickled, whole small pods.
    2.) Fried okra.
    3.) Gumbo , with shrimp and/or chicken , smoked sausage , okra and tomatoes
    4.) Smothered okra ,with shrimp , tomatoes, peppers and onions .

Does anyone else have any favorite Okra recipes or am I the only fool who plants the stuff?
    The main reason I plant it is for Shrimp and Okra Gumbo . The stuff is so easy to grow and simply slicing it into a freezer bag and putting it into the freezer is easy .
    But you can only eat so much Gumbo . Any other recipes you like?

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I don't know how to make ir but a cajun themed restaurant i used to frequent had breaded, deep-fried okra. I tried to make it but my coating wouldn't stick to the okra. The restaurant deep fried it whole and sliced. It was good stuff with an Abita Springs Amber.

BB

Banned

If you spread the okra out on a cookie sheet on wax paper and put it in the freezer for 30 minutes or so, the coating will stick better. This is true for anything battered, although fish never seems to need that treatment. Sliced yellow squash responds extremely well to it. Some times I will repeat the process before frying.

Fried okra is my favorite. It's also good raw. You can also dehydrate it for intense flavor.
    Last edited by frankenfab; 08-11-2018 at 07:39 PM.

Boolit Master
    Only in gumbo. Otherwise compost.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    I don't know how to make ir but a cajun themed restaurant i used to frequent had breaded, deep-fried okra. I tried to make it but my coating wouldn't stick to the okra. The restaurant deep fried it whole and sliced. It was good stuff with an Abita Springs Amber.

BB
    Slice the okra and drop into a paper bag with a cup of seasoned flour , it's much easier to fry sliced than whole , shake the bag until the okra gets coated all over, gently remove from bag with a slotted spoon and drop into hot oil, gently stir to keep slices from clumping...fry till golden brown. Remove from oil onto paper towels to drain.

The secrete is to just use seasoned flour or a mix 50/50 regular flour and corn flour....not corn meal but corn flour, it sticks better .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 08-11-2018 at 08:11 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Fried is the only way that I like it. My Wife cuts it up in 3/8-1/2 inch pieces. Salt and pepper the Okra, roll in in a combo of 1/2 meal and 1/2 flour and fry in skillet.
    Last edited by lightman; 08-12-2018 at 08:38 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by frankenfab View Post
    If you spread the okra out on a cookie sheet on wax paper and put it in the freezer for 30 minutes or so, the coating will stick better. This is true for anything battered, although fish never seems to need that treatment. Sliced yellow squash responds extremely well to it. Some times I will repeat the process before frying.

Fried okra is my favorite. It's also good raw. You can also dehydrate it for intense flavor.
    Dehydrated !!! Now that's interesting, do you slice the okra say 1/4 inch thick...tell me how you do it.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Hi Gary,

I pick everything in the garden that is ripe, and slice and cook in a large fry pan. Every other day that includes okra. After the vegetables are soft I add meat, including ground turkey, shredded chicken, steak (usually cut up bite-sized and browned in a separate skillet), shrimp, or fish filets (placed on top and covered to steam). It's a one pan dinner, always different, always good. I love eating in the summer time.

Take care, Tom

Boolit Master
    Boiled to me is good. Just wash, cover with water, add salt if you want or not. Boil till tender, don’t take long, and don’t let burn. Just have to cross yo legs or it’ll slip right on through.

Boolit Master
    Bhindi fry or bhindi masala

I had this in an Indian restaurant and learned to make it myself. Basically you cut up your okra like you are going to fry it southern style, but you don't bread it! You then deep fry it in plenty of oil until it begins turning brown and is about half it's original size, then drain it. You then make a concoction of onions, diced tomatoes, and masala seasoning (I add fenugreek seed to mine as well). Toss the okra and spicy tomato gravy like you would spaghetti sauce over noodles and serve. Yum yum the okra`s natural sugars are concentrated in the frying process to the point people think you added sugar to the dish. I made a batch for a pot luck at church a few weeks ago and brought back a dry bowl!

Ps I've also replaced the eastern spices with Cajun and that's pretty darn good as well.

Boolit Master
    Usually, just steam the pods, whole. Occasionally, the wife makes a dish with tomatoes, green peppers, onions, corn and cut up okra. Add a little rice and hot sauce to your taste. Pickled okra, I purchase.............Old South brand.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Hi Gary,

I pick everything in the garden that is ripe, and slice and cook in a large fry pan. Every other day that includes okra. After the vegetables are soft I add meat, including ground turkey, shredded chicken, steak (usually cut up bite-sized and browned in a separate skillet), shrimp, or fish filets (placed on top and covered to steam). It's a one pan dinner, always different, always good. I love eating in the summer time.

Take care, Tom
    Tom....I like this method, lets call it Tom's Garden Dinner...it's a winner !
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    Boiled to me is good. Just wash, cover with water, add salt if you want or not. Boil till tender, don’t take long, and don’t let burn. Just have to cross yo legs or it’ll slip right on through.
    Hossfly , that brings back memories....it was my moms favorite way to cook okra. My Dad , brother and me thought it was slimey and wouldn't eat it. But I'm older now and taste change so I'm going to give it a try.
    Thanks for reminding me , I had forgotten that method .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Bhindi fry or bhindi masala

I had this in an Indian restaurant and learned to make it myself. Basically you cut up your okra like you are going to fry it southern style, but you don't bread it! You then deep fry it in plenty of oil until it begins turning brown and is about half it's original size, then drain it. You then make a concoction of onions, diced tomatoes, and masala seasoning (I add fenugreek seed to mine as well). Toss the okra and spicy tomato gravy like you would spaghetti sauce over noodles and serve. Yum yum the okra`s natural sugars are concentrated in the frying process to the point people think you added sugar to the dish. I made a batch for a pot luck at church a few weeks ago and brought back a dry bowl!

Ps I've also replaced the eastern spices with Cajun and that's pretty darn good as well.
    In Louisiana we call it Smothered Okra , okra, tomatos , onions, peppers , celery all slowly simmered and cooked down , except we serve everything over rice.
    Basically the same recipe just with a different name, funny how cooking works.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Dehydrated !!! Now that's interesting, do you slice the okra say 1/4 inch thick...tell me how you do it.
    Gary
    My SIL got it at Kroger. It was whole pods 3-4" long. Delicious!

Boolit Buddy

Wife makes a okra, tomato ,bacon salad. Southern fried okra with cherry tomatoes green onions and chopped up crisp bacon served at room temperature. Season to taste.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    Don't let it burn, you say?
    Burn in a pot of boiling water?
    I hope you are kid'n us?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

My folks never grew Okra.
    My veggie farmer friend got me to like it raw, must be harvested kind small. To be eaten right out of the garden, or refrigerated for a day or so. I like most garden veggies raw.

I've fried it a few times, just slice and saute' in butter.

I'm having a pretty good crop this year, they started about a week ago.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Don't let it burn, you say?
    Burn in a pot of boiling water?
    I hope you are kid'n us?
    Hi Jon, I think he means "don't let the pot boil dry. Take care, Tom

Who among you cooks okra with the caps on?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast