Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Pedersoli Hawken

Boolit Master

Pedersoli Hawken

I was wondering if anyone has one of the nicer Missouri River or the Rocky Mountain rifles?
    I'm working on my list and I think I need to have a proper beautiful muzzleloader. I like my 56 smooth bore TC but it doesn't have the lines or the class of one of the Pedersoli rifles.
    Not to mention it doubles as piece of art to hang over the fire place. If SWMBO agrees with me or not is yet to be determined.

I guess I'm wondering if they're build as nice as they look and if the wood really is that nice on the maple models and all the online pics aren't just dressed up demo models.
    Thanks guys and gals!

Boolit Master
    a buddy of mine has one, .54, shoots great, tackdriver eating a hole out at 50 yds, and the wood is very nice.

Sending a PM
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Boolit Master
    Earlier this year I bought a used 54 cal Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawkin. The gun is very nice... the wood and metal finish are fine... I have the maple stock and it is every bit as good as most pictures I have seen. Due to my wife's illness, I have been unable to get any range time in to find out how well it shoots, but I would expect that it will do fine.. it has a 1:66 twist(IIRC) and should do fine with a patched round ball as far as my old eyes will be able to see.

TheMoose
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Banned

with all the offshore rifles that are available today, there are some things that might be of interest to bear in mind about them all.

they have patent breech ante-chambers. of itself, this is not necessarily a good or bad thing, but it is something to be aware about and know that it must be addressed during fouling control and cleaning.

most, but not all, of the offshore trad muzzleloaders have breech plugs that are literally welded on. no, not actually welded, but trying to remove one might make you think so. do you need to remove a breech plug? for the extreme most part, not at all. but you should at least be aware that a particular gun might not allow that to happen if you have that need.

trad muzzleloader percussion cap locks are generally quite good. there isn't much lock geometry required other than the hammer hitting the nipple squarely.

flint locks are a whole 'nother story. i've never used one, or seen one that had the excellent lock geometry of a chambers, or L&R, or davis, or bob roller, etc. they are all serviceable, they can all be slightly tweaked, some can even be swapped out for a much better L&R replica flint lock, but none are as perfect as they could be.