Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&w 27-2

S&w 27-2

Ive been looking for a 5" m27 for awhile. I just took delivery of a nice 6" yesterday.
    This AM a guy brought a 95% + up in presentation case with box and docs. Couldn't
    refuse the deal. One of few S&Ws I bought recently with factory targets still on it.
    Dealers have been peeling them to sell separately. Now I got 2, 6" and one 83/8".
    Going to shot some WCs tomarrow and see which one is keeper. If they shoot as
    good as my old 83/8" I will be happy. 83/8" is PIA to carry in the field.

Boolit Master
    dont store in the case . that liner is trash . Looked at one and the liner stuck to cyl and marked it

Boolit Master
    DRM50 -

Howdy !

Good for you!

Best of luck obtaining one of those great 5" -27s. Those ( and not a Python ) are " the Cadillac " of .357Magnum revolvers (IMHO ).

With regards.
    357Mag

Boolit Master

Had my M27 5" for almost 30yrs. It came by way of the Florida Highway Patrol. Had PACHMAYR'S on it. Nickel Plate in GREAT SHAPE. Got an EL PASO SADDLERY holster for it, Tom Threepersons style. Made a good carry rig. Must have put 35,000+ .357Mag loads with LYMAN #358156GC cast of #2 over a max charge of 2400.
    For my 8 3/8 M29 & M27 I used a shoulder rig. With the shoulder rig on my left side & and carrying a rifle in my right hand it sorta kept me balanced.
    A much favored revolver, always at the front of the safe.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I had Pythons &. Diamondbacks in the 70s. They are very fine revolvers but I always favored the
    S&Ws. When I was a kid my first quality pistol was a Ruger Single-6. It was like a target pistol
    compared to the H&Rs,IJs & imports my buddies had. Shortly after I got the S-6, I got a new K22
    in a trade. I didn't like DA revolvers, probably because of H&Rs, IJs, ect. I had the K22 NIB with no
    Intentions of shooting it and making a used gun out of it. Trading stock. A buddy of mine pestered
    me into shooting it. It was like getting religion, I saw the light, that was 1964. I didn't buy Python
    Until 1972 and found I could shot 27 better and traded it off.

If you read gunsmithing books they all give S&W the highest reguard mechanically. Colt lock work
    is a little fragile. I still have the 1964 K22. It has thousands of rounds through it and is still tight
    and accurate. I don't have to be convinced 27 is the Cadillac of 357s.

Boolit Master
    The model 27 is my all time favorite revolver. I prefer the 4 inch and 6 inch over the 5 inch barrel. The 4 inch is my roaming gun, and the inch is my hunting revolver. I lucked into a very nice nickeled 4 inch 27 from a forum member here so now I have a pair and a spare!

Boolit Master

I do like the S&W model 27 , picked up a in 8 3/8 and 6 and a shorter must be under 4 inch barrel and a pair of model 28 in 6 inch . I still shoot them but not as much as I should . The 8 3/8 has a shoe on the trigger making it wider and has the smoothest lightest double action , the shorter barrel one is my favorite .

Boolit Master

I must confess that I do not have a Smith 27. I do have however a pair of Smith 686's. One with a 6" tube that was worked over by a good friend. He did an action and trigger job on it and Ray Lynn, a now deceased well known custom gunnie here in LV reblued it. He chromed the trigger and hammer and my wife just adored that revolter so much that I went out and got her a 686 with a 8 3/8 tube and she loves it also. Although she professed adoration for the gun I bought her she actually shoots the shorter tubed gun better as she can handle it easily. The bigger gun apparently had some action and trigger work done before I got my hands on it. With the extra weight of the longer tube and the aim point sight mounted it is handful even for me. Neither gun get to eat 357 ammo as I prefer HBWC cast in my H&G gang mold and a small charge of BE. They feel like a .22 when fired and are boringly accurate out to about 40 yds. After that they lose too much velocity and go errant. At 100 yds you are lucky to hit the paper at all. Either one will group at less than an inch at 25 yds if we do our part.
    Last edited by Crash_Corrigan; 08-12-2018 at 11:21 AM. Reason: adding stuff
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Moderator Emeritus

The 27 and the 29 are my favorites.....got a pre 27 wearing a 3-1/2 " bbl and it is wickedly accurate....the 4" Mod 29 is a tack driver as well.....congrats.....and enjoy!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I'm sure it's blasphemy to some, but I have a pro Series 627 8-shot .357 and just got a 5" one from the Performance center, and like them both. Other than the shape of the hammer spur in the latter I find little difference between the two. GF

If a Smith comes with box, I always lay their gun oil paper in first?
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

I have a good selection of S&W revolvers. When younger always bought the 83/8" barrels. Scorned
    any shorter. Got a 29-2 6.5" barrel on a trade and found I could shoot it as well as 83/8". Made the
    switch to 6-6.5" guns. Still have the long toms but don't go out of my way to get them. I don't
    like 4" & shorter, I can't shoot them. Put the short barrel Smiths on a rest and they will shoot as
    well as longer ones. I only have two 4" guns in my keepers a M34 & M18, both 22s. I have a NIB
    M29-2, 4" that I'm dealing off as we speak. I think a 5" barrel is the perfect N frame reguardless
    of caliber. No to short & not to long, like Goldie Locs just right!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    It probably helps that I'm 6'5" tall - I like the 8-3/8" barrels more. The longer sight radius makes sighting a little easier, and I don't find problems drawing them (I'm very long in the torso, that helps I imagine.) I want to rebuild my collection, probably will stick with longer ones as they all would work and feel pretty much the same. 27's a nice gun, definitely! Big hands so N frames and X (iirc is the other large frame?) fit my hands well

Boolit Master
    My first Model 29 is an 8 3/8 and most of my best shooting has been with it. But my favorite packing gun will be an N frame 4".

Boolit Master
    The only nit pick I have with the Model 27 is the short cylinder.

Boolit Master
    Many years ago I worked with a guy who owned a M27 5". He had trouble finding a holster for it that suited him so he decided to sell it. In spite of that 5" being extremely accurate he bought a 6" and immediately sold off the 5". Turned out the 6" was nowhere as accurate as the 5". He tried to buy the 5" back from the new owner but was refused. He is still angry over that sale.

My 5" Model 27-2. Over the past 40 years, I've owned 357's in barrel lengths from 2" to 6.5". I favor the 4", but my eyesight is beginning to favor the longer barrels. My first 357 was a Dan Wesson back about 1978 with a 6" tube. Smith & Wessons were a bit too pricey for me at that time. It wasn't long (a couple of years) and I stepped up and went whole hog, S&W 29-2. I followed it pretty quickly with a Model 17, both 6" barrels.

~Life~ came along in the form of a wife and steady job. It would be years before I expanded my 'collection' so to speak. That derned Skeeter Skelton! I longed for a 5" Model 27 for a quarter of a century. Finally about 7-8 years back, I found 'the one'. It was on the block on an auction site with a *Buy Now*. It came in the original box, all doc's & paper work with Goncalo smooth targets. The turn line & recoil shield looked like it had probably seen maybe a box of ammuntion, if that much. It now wears a pair of Herrett's Roper fancy walnut stocks. I ordered a Lawrence style #120 holster from Rob Leahy at Simply Rugged holsters with a matching belt & speed loader pouch. My go to load (of course) is the Thompson #358156 with a healthy dose of 2400. The one and only change I have considered to this gun, is sending it off for a gold bead front sight.

Ole' Skeeter had it right when it came to the 5" Model 27.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    They did a run of 3.5 and 5" guns in the early 90's. I sold two guns and ponied up some cash for a 5" and waited as patiently as I could.
    When it showed, it was the WORST S&W I have ever seen, just junk from one end to the other, I should have returned it, but quickly traded it off, losing my behind. Years later I came into another from the same run, and it is one of the best S&W's I have ever handled, easily a 1.5" 50 yard gun, that one has a home for a while. I lucked into a 4 screw nickle 5" 27 a few years back in very good condition for $275, and that one is super smooth and excellent shooting too. I do like the 5" guns quite a bit.

Boolit Master

I don't own a 27, but I have owned 2 Highway Patromans. They were both great shooters which I foolishly let get away.

A 27 is one of the few guns on my bucket list. I'm torn between what my heart wants (the 5", ala Skeeter) and what my head wants( an 8 3/8", since I shoot longer tubes better). Maybe I need both!

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    They did a run of 3.5 and 5" guns in the early 90's. I sold two guns and ponied up some cash for a 5" and waited as patiently as I could.
    When it showed, it was the WORST S&W I have ever seen, just junk from one end to the other, I should have returned it, but quickly traded it off, losing my behind. Years later I came into another from the same run, and it is one of the best S&W's I have ever handled, easily a 1.5" 50 yard gun, that one has a home for a while. I lucked into a 4 screw nickle 5" 27 a few years back in very good condition for $275, and that one is super smooth and excellent shooting too. I do like the 5" guns quite a bit.
    I still own a Skeeter Skelton model 27-5or6? 5" from that period.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast