WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The new 8.6 creed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Just realized this round may require a redesigned J-word for the masses desiring a hunting load. Most .338 J-words are designed for performance at much higher velocities.

Mike
    Funny you say that

On a completely opposite end of the spectrum from cast boolits, a company is sort of partnering with/collaborating with the team designing this round. Go check out discreet ballistics...he has a wicked machined solid for 300 blk they are designing one up for the 338 Creed/8.6 Creed. This thing opens up to massive size...the 300 blk bullet is just fantastic (expensive but it's quality)

Designed for subsonic velocities...I think it's the best design for low velocity expansion I've seen. It's intriguing to me but I'm still so into cast bullets I can't spend the time equity on another avenue of shooting just yet (subsonic expansion)

David over at discreet ballistics is a super nice guy too.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I believe the 8.6 still requires an AR10 platform. For the AR15 you need a 338 Spectre or 338 Whisper #2
    Probably so, not really much on the MSR's. As a Winchester collector I generally won't admit owning one. Not sure what to call S&W's .308, doesn't quite look like an AR10 but that's actually the one I was envisioning.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    As to the intro on a bigger 300bo, seems interesting as I like efficient cartridges. Now as to whether it is more useful than other similar cartridges , well...
    Seems all these new things are designed around the AR platform. Personally they hold no interest, the AR 10 is way too heavy for me to be interested. I always liked the idea of 338federal and had it been available my Kimber would have been so chambered.
    Most of these new things are just a rehash of something from the past, updated. The 6.5 is a 250 Savage with a fast twist and very high pressure rating. I know its slightly bigger bore. The whole thing was to use the high BC bullets and get the thing to fit in the AR platform.
    Im all for efficient cartridges, but whether it fits in an AR is of no concern to me. The new cartridge is less useful, real world than the 338federal, and I hardly ever see one of those. Good round but no sales, maybe the AR crowd can keep it afloat, who knows. What I would really like to see would have a rim and 100% case capacity with 4895 to drive 220 gr cast to 2000fps Long neck like the 3030 too, yeah its out there, but not a factory offering. All about marketing!!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    As to the intro on a bigger 300bo, seems interesting as I like efficient cartridges. Now as to whether it is more useful than other similar cartridges , well...
    Seems all these new things are designed around the AR platform. Personally they hold no interest, the AR 10 is way too heavy for me to be interested. I always liked the idea of 338federal and had it been available my Kimber would have been so chambered.
    Most of these new things are just a rehash of something from the past, updated. The 6.5 is a 250 Savage with a fast twist and very high pressure rating. I know its slightly bigger bore. The whole thing was to use the high BC bullets and get the thing to fit in the AR platform.
    Im all for efficient cartridges, but whether it fits in an AR is of no concern to me. The new cartridge is less useful, real world than the 338federal, and I hardly ever see one of those. Good round but no sales, maybe the AR crowd can keep it afloat, who knows. What I would really like to see would have a rim and 100% case capacity with 4895 to drive 220 gr cast to 2000fps Long neck like the 3030 too, yeah its out there, but not a factory offering. All about marketing!!
    Bingo, I like the idea of efficiency, have played with varying thoughts around what would be most efficient and what is currently available easily...30/30 is high on the list but couldn't find a bolt action in it...well not easily, but did find a 300 blk bolt action for sale cheap and haven't looked back. Sits next to my 30 06, 308...and between the three feel very content

Have looked hard and long at that new Henry single shot chambered in 45/70...just can't find the reasoning enough to jump on it right now...the rifle looks great for it's price point and I've often thought a 45/70 would be a fantastic deer gun for Louisiana primitive firearm season (break open exposed hammer greater than .35 cal). A 357 mag chambered rifle like that from Henry would be even better for our close range hunting and give me room to load lighter plinkers for my boys

Boolit Master
    I'm seeing the 8.7 thingy as a close competitor to the 357max without the pistol bullet capability. My new favorite deer rnd is 375 Winchester, always thought 38-55 was the perfect fit between 45-70 & 30-30.
    Found the 375 BB94 and treat it as a really over built 38-55. Not an AR guy, for that matter bolt actions aren't a favorite either. This year the deer rifle will likely be a NO 1 in 7.62x39 , did I mention efficient
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I'm seeing the 8.7 thingy as a close competitor to the 357max without the pistol bullet capability. My new favorite deer rnd is 375 Winchester, always thought 38-55 was the perfect fit between 45-70 & 30-30.
    Found the 375 BB94 and treat it as a really over built 38-55. Not an AR guy, for that matter bolt actions aren't a favorite either. This year the deer rifle will likely be a NO 1 in 7.62x39 , did I mention efficient
    Efficient for sure, I guess I started as a 30 cal shop (molds, sizing dies, gas check maker) when I got my 30 06 many moons ago...and have tried to stay with that in general...but also load for 38 spc., 357 mag, and 9mm which I have molds and sizing dies for now too...35 win and 35 whelen are also super interesting to me.

A dream would be a double rifle chambered in 35 whelen....with 358009 mold paper patched....that would be fantastic

Rking22- E bait has a Williams FP for your BB ending today if you are interested. Back to the suppressor new cartridge. If it's in the AR15 it'll be interesting. In the AR10 grunt,sweat, no thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by John McCorkle View Post
    ...35 win and 35 whelen are also super interesting to me.

A dream would be a double rifle chambered in 35 whelen....with 358009 mold paper patched....that would be fantastic

Not the Whelen, but your other round of interest the 35 Win was chambered in some doubles; and the last company commercially loading it was Kynoch, for that little market niche of Brit doubles and singles. Rare and not inexpensive but these exist.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Moderator Emeritus

this has been a very good conversation...mostly...

>>> I cleaned up a few parts that were superfluous.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Rking22- E bait has a Williams FP for your BB ending today if you are interested. Back to the suppressor new cartridge. If it's in the AR15 it'll be interesting. In the AR10 grunt,sweat, no thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Have you handled S&W's AR10 variant (M&P10)? It feels quite a bit lighter and better balanced than other AR10 variants but I may be wrong. It feels more like an AR15 to me. According to their site it's 24 ounces heavier than a similar M&P15. I dunno, seemed lighter to me.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12