MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new 8.6 creed

Boolit Master

The new 8.6 creed

Well, got to visit with Kevin brittingham from "Q" today at our local gun shop. They have developed a new bolt action design that is fantastic called "the fix". Super light weight... fantastic design. Pricey but fantastic.

Also up and coming is the 8.6 creedmoor. These guys were on the design team that worked on the 300 blk. This is the same concept but in a larger platform. Shorten the case and neck up a 6.5 creedmoor to .338 caliber and you can shoot heavies for hunting ranges very well. The design goes to SAAMI in January...and once that has cleared production. I think it'll wind up being a great cast caliber for short barrels and hunting distance. 300 blk is great for casting and I expect this to do well too.

Interested to see how it develops and what the next few years turns out for this little round.

Anyone else looked into this yet?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Very interesting

Moderator Emeritus

I am still wondering how in the world the 260 Remington failed and the 6.5 creedmore is how with lesser ballistics. Must be marketing as it is tough to beat a cartridge with a military case as a base. The 338 federal by all such math would beat the 8.6 but logic has never driven sales. Both are inferior to the 358.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I am still wondering how in the world the 260 Remington failed and the 6.5 creedmore is how with lesser ballistics. Must be marketing as it is tough to beat a cartridge with a military case as a base. The 338 federal by all such math would beat the 8.6 but logic has never driven sales. Both are inferior to the 358.
    I think I agree with you, weighed yhe pros cons of a 338 vs 358 win (which I really like) and a 35 whelen....which I really really like!

I love a whelen alot...just need to get my hands on one now

Boolit Master
    If I were forced to only have two bolt action rifles in all likelihood one would be a 260 REM and the other a 338 Federal . I’ve been an advocate of the 260 since it’s inception and see no reason to go to the other one . Although I don’t hold your regard for the 358 WIN , had ones years ago in a Ruger 77R . Strangely I never really liked the 358 WIN but I did like the 356 WIN in a leveraction .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCorkle View Post
    I think I agree with you, weighed yhe pros cons of a 338 vs 358 win (which I really like) and a 35 whelen....which I really really like!

I love a whelen alot...just need to get my hands on one now

Did the Whelen a number of years ago in a 700 Classic and it did very well . But it left my possession I do however have the second 6.5-06 I had built and that one will stay with me till the end , as to an over 30-06 if I ever see a reason again it’ll be a 338-06 . On the 308 or 06 cases I’ll always prefer a 338 over a 35 cal . Just my ALWAYS biased opinion !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I agree...same caliber to me. I'll never buy an 8.6 I'd rather have a 338 win, 338 rum, or Lapua if I needed a 338.

Boolit Buddy
    AR platform.... that's the difference.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMagShooter View Post
    That makes sense and the only reason I'd consider the round with any degree of usefulness.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BigMagShooter View Post
    Yet the Ar runs the 308 and should run the 6.5/08 aka 260 Remington and 338/08 aka 338 Federal just as easily and with better ballistics and an easier to find case.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Well, got to visit with Kevin brittingham from "Q" today at our local gun shop. They have developed a new bolt action design that is fantastic called "the fix". Super light weight... fantastic design. Pricey but fantastic.

Also up and coming is the 8.6 creedmoor. These guys were on the design team that worked on the 300 blk. This is the same concept but in a larger platform. Shorten the case and neck up a 6.5 creedmoor to .338 caliber and you can shoot heavies for hunting ranges very well. The design goes to SAAMI in January...and once that has cleared production. I think it'll wind up being a great cast caliber for short barrels and hunting distance. 300 blk is great for casting and I expect this to do well too.

Interested to see how it develops and what the next few years turns out for this little round.

Anyone else looked into this yet?

What was old is new again , something very similar is listed in my elderly Ctgs of the world book , believe they used the 7BR brass necked up to 338 shooting a 300 gr match bullet subsonic might even been called the 338 whisper.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    Kit Badger on YouTube did a little review on the 8.6, looks interesting.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

It doesn't seem like that'd be enough case capacity to be terribly useful, when even the .308 based .33 and up rounds can run a bit out of it. Even my 9.3x57 is still a special purpose closer range round even with the old 57mm case's capacity. There might be a reason why the .318WR, .35Wh, and 9.3x62 are all so close in capacity and have proved so useful for more than a century.
    Last edited by Landy88; 08-18-2018 at 11:13 AM.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master

The difference between the ballistics of the 260 Rem/6.5 Creedmoor and even the 6.5x55 is really pretty small and probably insignificant for hunting. I think the big difference is that Hornady loads match grade ammunition for the Creedmoor and that has been the path to its success. That has opened up long range competition to people that don't want to reload.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

In Remembrance

As far as all the `Flash in the pan` new wildcat rounds that have come and gone the way of the Doo-Doo I still hold onto my 2 favorite `cats. The .338/06 and my .416 Taylor. If a critter walks, crawls or snarls I have the situations pretty well covered.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Not a long range shooter but having trouble imagining a .338 bullet with adequate BC and velocity from this case to live up to the Creedmoor name. If it's a hunting cartridge why call it a "Creedmoor"?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Not a long range shooter but having trouble imagining a .338 bullet with adequate BC and velocity from this case to live up to the Creedmoor name. If it's a hunting cartridge why call it a "Creedmoor"?
    They were originally going to go with something different but wanted the recognition of the parent case and stayed with the metric naming instead of the "338 creedmoor"

The design is to be shot at distance under 300 yards and heavy heavy subs with the sound of a compound bow...300 blk on roids

Boolit Grand Master

They were originally going to go with something different but wanted the recognition of the parent case and stayed with the metric naming instead of the "338 creedmoor"

The design is to be shot at distance under 300 yards and heavy heavy subs with the sound of a compound bow...300 blk on roids

Sounds like a worthwhile round, especially to someone who loves to put a smackdown on feral hogs as I do. But I'm also a casual historian and I know a little about the history behind the Creedmoor name. I understand the new round is based on the Creedmoor case and thus entitled to ride it's coattails but I think they should have worked a little harder on the name. Quite frankly I have no use for the 6.5 Creedmoor but this .338 adaptation has me thinking about one on the M4 platform with a can for my brother to use for hog population control on his deer lease. If a major ammo maker steps up after SAAMI puts their stamp on this cartridge (he doesn't reload) it would make more sense than the AR-based .308 that I've been recommending for him. I suspect some of today's powders could be useful in helping this round attain a respectable (but still subsonic) velocity.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    SoI have no use for the 6.5 Creedmoor but this .338 adaptation has me thinking about one on the M4 platform with a can for my brother to use for hog population control on his deer lease. If a major ammo maker steps up after SAAMI puts their stamp on this cartridge (he doesn't reload) it would make more sense than the AR-based .308 that I've been recommending for him.
    I believe the 8.6 still requires an AR10 platform. For the AR15 you need a 338 Spectre or 338 Whisper #2

Boolit Grand Master

Just realized this round may require a redesigned J-word for the masses desiring a hunting load. Most .338 J-words are designed for performance at much higher velocities.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast