Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Contender barrel carrying case

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Contender barrel carrying case

Looking at this, if I get a couple 21" and mostly 14" barrels eventually, how do people carry it all if they want to haul it all to the range together? (for some I know, it could take a 4'x4' trailer, but I'll limit this to 20 barrels, that level of addiction I might reach eventually, dunno about more than that for some time!) Something like a 24" wide suitcase and add convoluted foam cut to fit or ??? Thanks!

Boolit Master
    I bought a Plano case for breakdown rifle/shotguns. With the Plano, the to foam is divided up in 1/2"blocks. After some lying around, I can put in my three contenders with barrels from 10-14 and some with scopes. I also created a spot for tools. I could probably fit another barrel in.
    Good Luck
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Master
    I use an old briefcase without the dividers, etc. I lined it with foam on both sides just like any other gun case. I only carry 3 barrels with mine, though.

Moderator Emeritus

My wife made me a cordura roll up case. It fits 8 bbls up to 14" scoped. The top folds down and has a snapped pocket for tools. It rolls in to a round case with ties. I gave up on internet pictures with the photobucket debacle.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Some days I want to take 3 barrels, some days I want to take 6, some days 1 frame, some days 3. Makes it hard to have an efficient carry system. Thinking about making, well having my daughter make, some 2 layer pouches with canvas or leather on the outside and silicone gun sock on the inside. Strings sewn to the top so I can fold it over and tie it at whatever length I need. These could then be stacked in whatever works, pelican box or 5 gal bucket.

Boolit Bub
    Bore Stores to the rescue. borestores.com

Bore stores are interesting, won't really do it (I am thinking I'll look for a briefcase maybe but unsure it'll be wide enough so far.) May have to wait till I'm set up with a wood shop and till then fake it with something UGLY that just works. Dunno yet.

Boolit Master
    Double break down shotgun case.
    I can get two XP's and TC barrel on one side. Lock it up,flip it over. The other side I can get four iron sighted 14" TC's or three with scopes and a barrel.
    Yes it is big, but not overly so for what it can hold and hold very well.
    You want cheap? Go to the goodwill or DAV stores and look for the old hard samsonite suit cases. Then buy some good foam. I have a couple of the samsonite brief cases. They tend not to draw attention as a regular gun case.
    The other source I have seen used is musical instrument cases. Always thought it would be neat to have the violin case full of TC's or an XP or two,lol.
    Jeff

The suitcases are what I've been leaning towards as they're less attention drawing, yes. I'd thought of a guitar case, but if you go price guitars, THAT cost could get your case stolen! LOL

Boolit Master
    My wife sewed up some blue gean legs for me. They are 18"s.long and sewed up at the cut off end and then sewed down the leg in two places to make room for three 14" barrels with iron sights. She made me some wither two slots for scoped one's. The extra 4" is to fold over the open end then roll up and tie shut with what ever. The geans will keep the dust off and prevent scratchs and most damage. I have been using these for over 40 years, of course I am quite frugal.

Glad that works for you I think I want more armor on mine, my cats think anything I own is a Parkour workout "jungle gym". Usually scope everything (eyes are a bit nearsighted) tho I've thought of that Lasix to fix that.