WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision

Thread: Old Burris vs. old Leupold

Old Burris vs. old Leupold

I have a Marlin Varmint King .222 and I want to scope it. What do you all prefer. I want decent magnification and no bigger than 40mm objective. I'm looking on eBay of course. Thanks!!
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

I'm not familiar with that rifle. Is it one of the Sako rifles branded Marlin from late 50-60? If so
    I like a straight 6x, unless it is a heavy barrel rifle that you aren't going to be shooting off hand.
    I have had several 222 Rems, sporter weight. They make a neat sneak gun for varmits. I say 6x
    because that is most power I can shoot offhand well. I look at them as 300yd guns. I have 2, 722
    Rems. One has Leupold 6x, the other K12x. I don't do varibles but a Leupold 3x9 should be a good
    outfit.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Trigger I have one of those and a 12 power weaver, great old rifle and still nails whistle pigs at 300.

Yes it's a Sako action and Marlin barrel. I've been thinking straight power too.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Banned

I guess it depends on what Leopold your talking. Im a big Leopold fan but don't care for the old vari x 2 or the first vx1s. they had friction adjustments and only multi coated lenses was the objective lense. The old buris's were fully multicoated. Now if you have an old vari x III id say its a step up from any old burris.

Thanks so much. That's what I was looking for.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Don't overlook a 70's vintage K10 or T10 Weaver either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I've had bad luck with older Weaver's adjustable scopes. Are the fixed powers better?
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Quote Originally Posted by pull the trigger View Post
    I've had bad luck with older Weaver's adjustable scopes. Are the fixed powers better?
    Much better. IMO fixed powers of every make are better than their variables.

Boolit Master
    The old El Paso made Weavers are great scopes and sell at a very cheap price for what they are. I have a K4 on my Husqvarna, and even by modern standards it's pretty clear. A K12 might fit what you're wanting.

Boolit Master

From personal experience I can tell you that Leopold DOES NOT honor their warranty.
    If you send them a 30yr old top of the line scope that you spent $125 on in 1974, they will send you a bottom of the barrel scope with fuzzy edges that you can buy from MIDWAY on sale for $175.
    Rip off. They also sell cheap chinese made optics under their name. Without admitting it in their website or catalog. You don't find out until you open the box and find the little tiny gold sticker that says china.

Burris replaced a Scout Scope my 400lb friend stepped on with the same good clear glass as It's predecessor.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Burris actually tested my 6x Fullfield until they saw what I was talking about. It would lose zero sitting in the rack. They called me up and said "We can't fix this older model but we have a brand new discontinued 6x Fullfield we'll send you. Done deal, good deal!

Banned

Old weaver k series scopes are pot luck. First of all THERE OLD! Most of the ones ive had and handled had a yellow look to the lenses and very poor light gathering. None of the old fixed power k series had multi coated lenses. Some even had lost there gas charge due to dried out seals. Personaly I wouldn't give 50 bucks for another. You can buy a blister pack tasco at Walmart and have a scope that's just as reliable and has just as good of glass. Im not going to risk a hunt on a 50 year old scope of any brand. Ive even owned two vari x leupolds that lost there seal due to age. Personaly I wouldn't even buy a 30 year old leupold.
    Quote Originally Posted by pull the trigger View Post

Boolit Master

I would say that for the money nowadays the Burris is the best buy. My next scope will be a Burris.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.