Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox

Thread: Automated master caster

Boolit Mold

Automated master caster

I'm getting ready to automated my master caster. My quistion is how come nobody does it like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zGtCYi2k8A It seems everybody is using the air cylinder.

Please make the video longer and present the details of the automation.

Boolit Mold
    I have not done mine yet. I'm asking why nobody is doing it this way. Everybody is putting the cllinder in the back.

Boolit Buddy

For one I would say that takes a lot more space than the way it has been done with the cylinder in the rear. You need room for the accuating mechanism hanging down on the side. I guess you may be able to invert it and not need room below the bench. That way it could be placed anywhere along an existing bench. Putting the cylinder in the back is no problem really.
    My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

spstocksandgrips.com

Texan Loadmaster Model T, Lyman All American Turret, Forster Co-Ax,

Boolit Mold
    Make sence. Thanks

Boolit Master
    That design does use an air cylinder, it pulls the chain to operate the handle.

I guess it means there is less drilling on the machine to make the cylinder fit.

There is no right or wrong way to do it, as long as it works. Mine is based on the wyman/hatch design. My lead pour is done with a pull cylinder vs a push, the main acting cylinder is the same connections, yet mine is double acting, so no return spring is required.

I hope you can take the time to share your setup when it's complete, it's always good to see the little changes people make.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by plumber1960 View Post
    I have not done mine yet. I'm asking why nobody is doing it this way. Everybody is putting the cllinder in the back.
    in the Hatch/Wyman design, the hand lever is retained to make it easier to operate the Master Caster in what i call the "warm up stage"...that is proofing the mold and running a couple of throws to properly warm the mold....

interesting design though...control panel looks a bit awkward to operate though....

what ever works to one's satisfaction....i was being lazy in designing the Hatch/Wyman system...LOL
    Solvang Shootist
    SASS 60905-Life
    Frontier Cartridge Black Powder Shooter

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    For one I would say that takes a lot more space than the way it has been done with the cylinder in the rear. You need room for the accuating mechanism hanging down on the side. I guess you may be able to invert it and not need room below the bench. That way it could be placed anywhere along an existing bench. Putting the cylinder in the back is no problem really.
    agreed...my Hatch/Wyman automated master caster sits on a 24" deep bench with the control unit to the right...total width is about 12" for the MC and 12" for the control...to its left is the automated StarLuberSizer...it also takes only about 12" of bench width...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBCzMvczrw
    Solvang Shootist
    SASS 60905-Life
    Frontier Cartridge Black Powder Shooter

Boolit Mold
    I would like to thank everybody for there reply. I done it the wymanwinn way but instead of having that air controll valve. I use a 24 vdc joystick with a AVS-523E2-24D valve to operate my master caster. I done it this way so I can later in stalled Hatch enclosure box in the furture.

Boolit Master
    Automated my Master Caster several years ago. Went with the Hatch control method with the air cylinder in the back, the controls and air cylinder work very well. I had to get a good air dryer since the air control valves will not operate properly if they become filled up with water from the damp air from the air compressor.
    I have cast tens of thousands of bullets since the machine was automated. I powder coat all of the cast bullets using an electronic powder coating gun and a large professional convection oven.
    I am 72 retired and have the time to large quantities of powder coated cast bullets.

All of the data for my automation came from the Cast Boolits web site, Hatch provided a lot of valuable information with regard to the control system components and the software for the PLC controls.