WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which one?

Boolit Master
    Either one would be fun to have in 38-55. I'm a 38-55 fan too. Right now I only have an old 38-55 single shot rifle though.. )-:}

Can't wait to hear how the old Winchester does.

Too late to the fight here but I was going to suggest to sell the Winchester and find a waffle top 336 in 35 Rem. The extra cash can buy brass, dies, rear sight and mold. Love my SC. Smooooooooth action, shoot all kinds of pistol bullets down to a squirrel load and up to 2100 FPS with a 200 grain bullet to cleanly drop anything in N. America with in range.

I guess we all have our reasons and passions.

The Winchester came from my father so it's going nowhere. It's just going to get used more. The Marlin will fill the 30-30 lever action duties from here on out. It's everything I want in a 30-30. Both are stamped with my initials!

Boolit Master

Which is most accurate as they now stand.

If accuracy is really good as is, then pick the other one to modify
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Grand Master

Should have your rifle back soon. A little late to the party but I was going to suggest finding an 1894 in 38-55. Only downside is it would probably need a mould that drops .380 boolits. I was going to send a Marlin off to JES for this same conversion but a couple of very sweet 1894's in 38-55 happened along. Enjoy the 38-55, it's truly a special cartridge.

Mike
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I second the " special" with 38-55. My marlin 1893 Safety is a shooter, i paid 500 for the rifle and sent the sewer pipe to a member here and had it relined back to the same .380 diameter. She shoots like a house a fire. Love love it.

I thought I might as well refresh the wood on the 94 while it's in surgery. 5 coats of Tru Oil will do I think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Nice !

She's back home after just ten days. I am beside myself. Jessie sent load tips, too!
    I'm working on a sizer die as my boolits drop at .379" and he recommends .376-.377". I'll try to load one with the fat boolit to see if it'll fit. Look close at the caliber stamp; I like the overstamp better than xx'd out & restamped. I've got a Lyman sight on the way, too.

Boolit Master
    Tex, I just found a new in box pre-safety marlin 336 carbine in .30-30 I'm thinking about picking up and sending to jes to turn into a.38-55 did you just send the barreled action?

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    Tex, I just found a new in box pre-safety marlin 336 carbine in .30-30 I'm thinking about picking up and sending to jes to turn into a.38-55 did you just send the barreled action?
    Exactly that. That's all he needs and you save a little on shipping.
    AND I loaded a dummy cartridge with the .379" boolit and it chambered. Forging on.

Boolit Master
    this gets better every post I am looking forward to the range report.

Since the Win. has been D&T go for it! What could be any sweeter than carrying a 38-55 Win. carbine?
    The .357 Magnum......
    Major Douglas Wesson, using factory loads, which were a 158 gr. soft lead bullet, traveling 1515 fps, from an 8 3/4" barreled S&W, producing 812 ft. lbs of muzzle energy.
    Antelope - 200 yards (2 shots)
    Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)
    Moose - 100 yards (1 shot)
    Grizzly Bear - 135 yards (1 shot).

It kind of makes one wonder, why today, it will bounce off anything bigger than a rabbit

Boolit Master
    boolit fit now waiting on the range report,im sure it'll be a shooter

I think she lost a quarter pound. Lyman sight is on the way and bidding on a Redfield I'm thinking of Unique for its test firing but it'll be a few days yet.

Boolit Master
    it looks good,keep us posted you've got me intrigued with this build

I sized some boolits down to .375" to try along with the as cast .379" in it. I lubed them with LLA last night and I hope to load today.

I couldn't stand it so I fired a test round with no rear sight. Clay pidgeon at the 40 yd berm. Missed it by that much. The load is 9.2(1cc) grs Unique, CCI lrp, .379" Lee 256gr. I chuckled because of the lack of recoil. Thank God for the rain or I would have kept wasting ammo.
    My Lyman sight is inbound and I let the last minute buzzard have the auctioned Redfield after running the price up for his trouble

I am glad it worked out for you.
    That is a nice setup you got there. Please keep us informed as much as you can on your range testing.
    Those Marlin 36G’s are notoriously accurate because of the short magazine tube and the way it attaches to the barrel.
    I have a Marlin 36 from 1947 and it looks almost just like it except it has a 24” barrel.
    Did they name the 36G in honor of the old model 36?
    Been looking for one of those 36G’s myself to send to JES for a rebore to .405 JES.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    I am glad it worked out for you.
    That is a nice setup you got there. Please keep us informed as much as you can on your range testing.
    Those Marlin 36G’s are notoriously accurate because of the short magazine tube and the way it attaches to the barrel.
    I have a Marlin 36 from 1947 and it looks almost just like it except it has a 24” barrel.
    Did they name the 36G in honor of the old model 36?
    Been looking for one of those 36G’s myself to send to JES for a rebore to .405 JES.
    They may have named the 36G to differ from the 336 and the G means Glenfield. From the little I know it was the first Glenfield and Marlin only made 6000. Later some Glenfield m30's had the 2/3 mag- I think. Thanks for your interest.
    Thomas

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast