Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: I got my 686 back from Smith...

Boolit Master

I got my 686 back from Smith...

I can't find the old thread where all this started but I got the 686 back from Smith &Wesson repair. They re-cut the forcing cone and the pistol looks perfect in every way. the muzzle, crown ,barrel, forcing cone all look perfect. The cylinders are still 3 = .357 and 3= .3565. It does group better.

The load that was putting 3 in one hole and the other 3 shots 2 to 3 inches lower and 2 to 3 inches wide now contains them all in an 1.25 inch square. 3 shots are across the top and 3 are across the bottom at 12 yards with no part of the group outside the square.

I have a few more boolits to try before any mods to the gun. The first mod may be 25 shots with Flitz on the boolits or in the forcing cone. I have done this before with amazing results. I also have the tooling to open the cylinders to .358 but maybe that should be the last option. I could also roll some boolits in a grittier paste and shoot them. Another option is to shoot it a LOT and see what happens.

I would value all your opinions. Thanks in advance.

Dale

I am glad your revolver is all better now but how many cylinders did you get with it? Most of us only have one. I think you mean the chamber throats measure .3565/.357.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Yes, of course you are right. What would you do next?

In Remembrance
    Slug the bore of barrel. This will give you the groove dia. of barrel. Use Soft lead for this or make a cast from cerrosafe. Next, you will need to measure the slug or casting to get the groove dia. To match the cylinder throats too correct size for your barrel, contact Doug Guy on this forum. A great man to deal with and does fantastic work. He will advise you on sizes but decision is still yours.

Boolit Master
    I checked your profile and this is under your threads.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...nce-Center-gun

Quote Originally Posted by castalott View Post
    Yes, of course you are right. What would you do next?
    Shoot it to my hearts content with relatively soft bullets. Nothing wrong with it as it now stands.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    I was just wanting it to shoot better. I have 4 other Smiths that shoot 12 shots in one hole ( Maybe a little bigger than a quarter) at that distance with that load.

Of course I am the limiting factor in all of this.....

Dale

Boolit Buddy
    Taking it down to .0005 is splitting hairs as far as the throats go.