WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Lyman 357 Gas checks/ Lyman #358146 Boolit

Boolit Master

Lyman 357 Gas checks/ Lyman #358146 Boolit

I got out of this mold (2Cav) and made a bunch of bullets. I picked up an Ideal mold of the same boolit (4Cav). I still have a lot of 358 Lyman gas checks but prefer Horandy. I want to use up some of Lyman for space. Any trick to lube and keep the gas check on?
    It has been a while since I used this set-up. I have the Lyman gas check tool and the NOE gas check tool and chamfer.
    Ready to get going with this.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Mold
    Or is that 358156, guessing?

I've never tried gas checks on bullets with plain bases. I have some very good loads - .357 & .44 - that require them. I also have quite a few loads in those calibers for plain based slugs. Seemed the gc was only needed for loads above about 1250 fps. 358156 is a very good bullet.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have not tried to apply gas checks to castings lacking the reduced shank meant to support them, nor have I tried shooting shanked castings meant for gas checks without checks in place. Not very imaginative, I know.

Not all GC shanks are a perfect fit for gas checks meant to fit them. Lyman castings in 30/31 and 35 caliber using Hornady checks are the usual suspects in this misdemeanor. The little gas check flaring tools sold by NOE are a godsend--these give the Hornady (and similar) checks meant to be crimped into place a gentle taper to ease seating and have eliminated bad crimps and seating misalignment when I am processing bullets that use gas checks.

I am a huge fan of Lyman #358156 in the 357 Magnum revolvers and leverguns. My Henry steel-frame Big Boy in 357 Magnum feeds these without a hitch, and shoots them very well--even when run past 1800 FPS. In a rifle, I think a flatnose 180-190 grain gas-checked casting does better work at distances past 75 yards, but in my Ruger Bisley Blackhawk I have prompted #358156 past the 1500 FPS mark and it remains accurate at 50 yards (rested). So far, the Henry's 20" barrel adds about 350-400 FPS to the velocity provided by the 7.5" Blackhawk's barrel; same story with the 30 Carbine BH/rifle differential, and the 44 Magnum (Ruger Redhawk x 5.5" and 20" Win/Miroku 92).
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 10-03-2018 at 04:54 PM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.