Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pre-Mix Alloy or mix in the pot?? Opinions / thoughts?

Boolit Grand Master

As to a rifle to cast for the old stand bys 30-30, 38-55, 40-65, 45-70 or smaller cased modern rounds 7.62X39, 7 mauser are more forgiving to start out with I think. The first listed can be a lot of fun to shoot very rewarding to cast for and will do well hunting plinking or in some matches.A single shot or bolt action is probably easier to start loading for in rifles.

Boolit Master
    I figure on casting three thousand of the same bullet a month, all for action pistol. I am reading up here about speed casting techniques, and it seems using preheated ingots to continually feed the pot is the way to go. For me that means having a large supply of premixed alloy ingots on hand.
    Last edited by kevin c; 08-22-2018 at 01:25 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Man... I have an old Marlin 30-30 when I was a kid. loved that gun! my dad has a 32 special... maybe I can talk him out of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    As to a rifle to cast for the old stand bys 30-30, 38-55, 40-65, 45-70 or smaller cased modern rounds 7.62X39, 7 mauser are more forgiving to start out with I think. The first listed can be a lot of fun to shoot very rewarding to cast for and will do well hunting plinking or in some matches.A single shot or bolt action is probably easier to start loading for in rifles.
    USAF Veteran - NRA Certified Pistol Instructor - 1911 Junky

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    I would keep them separate so can mix what you want later in the smaller pot. That’s what I do, and mark them as to what they are. I bought some letter and number stamps from Harbor Frt. L for lead, and WW for well you know.
    I do the same thing...PEW, PB, WW, LINO, and RL...I like the 3/8" numbers better than my 1/4" set. They are easier to see with these tired old eyes. I can't remember what I paid for them but if I remember right the letter/number sets are under $10.

I also use different molds for mixed alloys. I use LEE ingot molds, and muffin tins (one is heart shaped for my Pewter) for bulk storage (marked as indicated above)...and then corn cob bread pan molds for mixed bullet alloys (it fits my Lee pot better than full size muffin ingots)...but still I mark with percentages of what I mix in. I do batches of 50-100# at a time.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I've concluded to mix it when I need it, the logic being that if you keep your flour, milk, eggs, baking soda, and salt all separate, you can make all kinds of things when you need to. Once you make cookie dough, all you can bake is cookies.

As for a rifle to shoot cast through . . .whaddya like? Rounds with a roughly 2000 fps upper limit are pretty much born to shoot cast, though you can load the hotter ones light or get a little more in-depth with your alloys, lubes, and gas checks to go faster.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    I mix in the pot. I keep soft lead in 2.1/2.2 lb ingots and coww in the same ingot pan but it is easy to tell the difference by sight. I pour range lead in another ingot pan which is a 1.3 lb. ingot.
    When making alloy additions I use lee small pots with superhard, lino and pure tin in separate pots and use a bent metal measuring spoon to pour little wafers of whatever I want to add using the alloy calculator. I weigh the wafers in grains and convert to pounds for the Excel calculator. Hope the info helps.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 1616s16 View Post
    I shoot for fun all goes in the pot and I shoot what comes out
    16s
    +1 all day long
    Retired Redleg
    I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood, I don't mind going out the same way.

Boolit Bub
    Right now I have a bucket of pure, a bucket of COWW, a bucket of 50/50, a bucket of 1/3 ww 2/3 pure, and a bucket of mono type.

But... I also have about 2000 .452 cast from mystery mix... COWW + Pure + some pewter
    USAF Veteran - NRA Certified Pistol Instructor - 1911 Junky

So far my needs are simple. Pure lead is my largest stockpile. Lyman #2 and 20:1 are tied for second place. Each has its own casting pot. I make the alloys in large batches and store them.
    Con - once it's mixed its mixed doesn't bother me because that's what I want.
    Pro - consistent mix batch to batch.

Boolit Master
    I like to premix my alloys as I clean them up. Turkey fryer turns questionable range scrap into nice clean ingots with 2% tin by weight and then I know I've fluxed em good. most of the stuff of S&S here has been good enough to use as is, so I'll alloy that in the pot if needed. My ebay scores and range scrap mixes I like to blend into one big mix just for consistency sake.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    I'm not a real sophisticated alloy mixer but I generally keep everything separated and mix in the casting pot . Handgun cast generally gets a 50/50 mix in its pot / slugs and inline get plumbers in its pot / my cast rifle pot can vary between 50/50 - straight coww but with a little more tin or some type of sweetener added . It's all for the fun of it so I like to tinker a bit .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12