Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Mix Alloy or mix in the pot?? Opinions / thoughts?

Boolit Bub

Pre-Mix Alloy or mix in the pot?? Opinions / thoughts?

Do you premix your alloy and store it... or mix it in the pot just before you cast?

I have a pile of Pure, a pile of WW, and a pile of 50/50 WW/pure. (plus some mono and pewter if needed)

What are the pros and cons of both?

Thanks!
    USAF Veteran - NRA Certified Pistol Instructor - 1911 Junky

Boolit Grand Master

I prefer to mix in large batches and store for use. I melt clean and alloy 400lbs at a time and maybe 3 pots in a day so I may have pot 1 2 and 3 for a given day or 1200 lbs of a mix. when casting the needed number of ingot from each pot goes into the casting pot. This keeps my bullets very close to the same for 1200lbs of alloy. Blending 10 or 20 lbs at a time when casting 360-550 grn bullets is a never ending process.

Boolit Master

Pre mixed:

Con: once mixed, it is mixed for ever.
    Pro: more uniform batch alloy.

Mixed in the pot:

Pro: can adjust on the fly.
    Alloys are standing by for a use as you need. So if you pure. It is not all ready mixed in a 50/50.

Con: batch to batch differences.

I personaly mix in the pot.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Right, wrong, or indifferent, I mix in the pot.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    i mix bigger batches of known alloy.say something like 3%sn 3% sb i can use this alloy for my hier speed loads if needed.or i can cut it 50.50 with pure and it works great for my 45acp loads.this can be done in big batches or at the pot.Just another spin on keeping your options open and what works for me.

Both.

I have some alloy mixed up ahead of time, normally 50% COWW 49% range scrap or soft lead and 1% tin or Pewter.

I also have both COWW ingots and Range scrap ingots and muffin tin Pewter "coins" so I can adapt in the pot as needed.

Waiting for cooler weather to do a big smelt this fall.

Boolit Master

I have about 1000 pounds of the 2 alloys I use. Mixed in large batches for uniformity. I also keep a ton of melted ww around, straight lead and lino.

Just easier to add a single bar to the pot.

Boolit Master

I also do a bit of both.

I have some CWW+1%Sn premixed, I use it for my Mosin match ammo.

I also have some 50/50 CWW/Pb premixed, I add Sn as needed for what I'm doing.

But, I've also just mixed it in the pot.

Boolit Grand Master

I would keep those 3 piles separated. The pure has its uses. The wheel weights make good pistol bullets as is or can be alloyed with other stuff. If you find an alloy that you really like you can work out of these separate batches. I don't do a lot of different batches. I use pure for muzzle loaders, wheel weights for most of my pistols and wheel weights plus a little type for rifle.

I do about the same as Country Gent. My smelting pot will hold about 400#. Each batch is kept separate and labeled and dated. On the rare occasion that I do special batches I use a medium size dutch oven.

Rcmaveric pretty well covered the pros and cons. I will add to the cons; In big batches, if you make a mistake and contaminate the alloy you have made a bigger mistake. Thats one reason that I still hand sort weights.

When I have wheel weight scores like you have been posting I sort the clip ons from the stick ons and wait until I have enough to fill my smelting pot.

I too do a little of both. My cast iron pot only holds about 40#. I keep a basic rifle alloy and one for my 9mm pistol. Lately I have been casting plinking boolets for 2 Ruger Blackhawks in 45 Colt, and just mixing in the Lee 4-20 pot. I am running out of my pewter 'coins, and have some 1#'s of tin/lead alloys, likely want to make larger batches? I use Bumpo's alloy calculator a lot, seems to work well for me? hc18flyer

Moderator Emeritus

I mainly use #2 so I do that in 100 pound batches... but I keep a LOT of different alloys around for a custom blend if needed.

Boolit Master

I mix in big batches. Use different ingot molds to keep alloy separate. Lead/LEE Ingots, COWW/Pie Shaped from LODGE Scone Pan. 1/20 /SAECO Ingots. #2/LYMAN Ingots. Linotype/OHAUS Ingots.
    I have a Laminated Chart listing the ingot identification system with every batch. And I use an old cast iron cupcake mold for unknown scrape.
    I Don't get/use much scrap anymore. Too much chance of contamination.
    I've gotten picky in my old age. And around where I live, there just isn't any scrap. Although I was lucky once last year.
    Just my way.
    I also weigh every ingot & write the weight in ounces with a black on that ingot.
    I can get an ACCURATE mix that way every time.
    Last edited by Walks; 08-10-2018 at 11:29 PM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I would keep them separate so can mix what you want later in the smaller pot. That’s what I do, and mark them as to what they are. I bought some letter and number stamps from Harbor Frt. L for lead, and WW for well you know.

Boolit Master

Repeatability. If you are unable to reproduce a pot mixed batch you will wish you had premixed a large batch.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Banned

I do large batches (about a 100lbs). that way when I find some load that shoots well I have lots of the exact same alloy to cast them with. I also keep alloys like 5050 ww/pure 25/75 ww/pure, #2 (well my approximation of it) and 5050 ww/lino in big batches. I probably have 20 5 gallon pails of different alloys and also many 30-50 lb bricks of some alloys.

Boolit Bub
    thanks for all the great replies! For now I'll keep them separate as I only cast in small batches right now. COWW for my 45acp and 38spl. Seems like my 600lbs stash.... is very small compared to most of you...

I am looking for a rifle to cast for... and suggestions?
    USAF Veteran - NRA Certified Pistol Instructor - 1911 Junky

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod99 View Post
    thanks for all the great replies! For now I'll keep them separate as I only cast in small batches right now. COWW for my 45acp and 38spl. Seems like my 600lbs stash.... is very small compared to most of you...

I am looking for a rifle to cast for... and suggestions?
    I've never gotten into casting for rifles very much. I have a 30 caliber mold for my M1 Carbine and I cast for my Ruger #1 in 45-70. I suggest starting with a larger and slower caliber. The small fast calibers can be more challenging.

Banned
    The M1 is nice and the 45-70 is a classic BUT, you'll go through a lot of lead with the 45-70, it's boolits run on the large size

I'm liking the 300 AAC Blackout, cheap brass (easy to convert from 223/556) smaller cases 30 cal (which can be used for a multitude of guns in the future) easy to load and fun to shoot [sepecially if you are shooting subsonic through a can]

I shoot for fun all goes in the pot and I shoot what comes out
    16s

Boolit Master
    I have 2 pots. My cast iron pot is used only for dirty work. My RCBS pot is for casting. I mix for casting in the RCBS using bumpo's calculator and a scale that reads in grams.

Lately at the end of the casting session I pour a couple of ingots of alloyed metal to store. I start the casting session by filling the pot with WW, pure, and 63/37 solder to my chosen alloy. I have been using 95.38% lead, 2.22% tin, 2.21% antimony, and 0.18% arsenic (according to the calculator). For my old trapdoors I have been using 20:1 lead to tin ratio.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast