Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Casting with Iron pot and Coleman Stove

Boolit Bub

Casting with Iron pot and Coleman Stove

I've never cast boolits before. I've gathered up a bunch of casting equipment - molds, a Lyman ladle, and some other stuff to include a small electric Lee pot that is said to hold 4 pounds of lead. The Lee pot is the ladle friendly type.

I've seen some pictures of ladle casting from an iron pot over a Coleman stove online. And it looks like a good way to go if one wants to melt more lead than the little Lee pot can hold - but I was wondering...

How does one use the Coleman stove with an iron pot for lead melting? Is it a white gas type stove? Are there time constraints? Do you fire it hot at first and then bring the melt down to a cooler temp to make castings? Is a RCBS thermometer a good thing to have on hand?

I guess I'm asking for any advice from veteran casters who use a Coleman type stove. Thanks for any attention to my questions.

Boolit Grand Master

Coleman stoves can either be the type to use white gas or propane. If it has a small tank with a cap on it and a pump it will use white gas. Many a good bullet has been cast on similar equipment. Temperature adjustment and control is hard to explain. Outside temperature, volume of lead, lots of other factors can affect it. A thermometer is not necessary but is nice to have. Basically, you fill the iron pot with lead and light the burner. When the lead melts, skim off any solid looking trash and then flux it. Be aware that ladles and spoons can build up moisture so you should lay them on top of the melt without submerging them for a minute or two.

Read the stickys about accidents, fluxing and mold lube. And feel free to ask questions. Oh yeah, welcome to the casting world.

I cast for years with a cast iron pot on my natural gas kitchen stove.

Was not a fast process, but did not need to be.

I first went to a used 4 lb Lee dipper pot, bought here. Then a new 4 lb dipper pot with Thermostat. Then I discovered the Lee Magnum Melter! Wow, what a pot.

Coleman stove will work, but will be slow. Most cast fry pans are too shallow for really good dipper work.

A turkey/fish fryer and a bigger cast iron dutch oven would be much faster for smelting, fluxing, and making into ingots that will fit the dipper pot.

Something to think about for down the road.

I've tried electric hot plates, also not fast.

Good hot wood fire works but then you need long handled tools.

Boolit Master
    I'm using a Coleman 2 burner camping stove fired off propane with a small cast iron pot for casting with no problems. I only have to use one burner and a small steel ladle for the lead. The second burner is covered with a piece of sheet metal which I've found is a good place to cool off the mold. A lot depends on how much you plan to cast and the size of your wallet.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, lightman. I'll remember about moisture and the spoons.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, Ghosthawk. If I use a stove I'll use a pot not a pan.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie2002 View Post
    I'm using a Coleman 2 burner camping stove fired off propane with a small cast iron pot for casting with no problems. I only have to use one burner and a small steel ladle for the lead. The second burner is covered with a piece of sheet metal which I've found is a good place to cool off the mold. A lot depends on how much you plan to cast and the size of your wallet.
    Eddie2002, I appreciate the response. I'm going to try your rig but with the white gas.

Boolit Master

Read: http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm
    Don't use aluminum pots, they will melt over time. Look at Flee markets etc to find old cast iron stuff and buy it up the more rusty the lower the price you can talk the person into. I still use my Colman stove from time to time.

Boolit Master

Remember: Lead is heavy.

I've read several stories over the years of people with ninety or more pounds on their Coleman, casting along only to have the stove collapse. Lead everywhere and no fun was had.

Since I wouldn't have a clue how much is too heavy, I'd just brace up the pot from the get go unless it was 20 pounds or less.

Welcome to the forum.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

I learned to cast on an old COLEMAN white gas stove. Small iron pot, single cavity LYMAN RB mold, LYMAN dipper. I was 8 or 9yrs old. About 1962, My Dad fluxed the pot and adjusted the Temp. Then left me to it. I Don't know how many thousands of RB's before I got to move on to a single cav #356402. Cast thousands of them too.
    Last edited by Walks; 08-12-2018 at 12:19 AM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Coleman white gas stove and cast iron pot is the way I started back in the 1960's. Can't say I recommend it, as I am now a lot older and a lot less ignorant. Inexpensive as electric furnaces are now they are a much better way to go. The furnaces work better and are a whole lot safer. Working with an open flame also makes it more difficult to keep away from the vapors coming off the lead, not to mention this process should definitely not be done indoors in an enclosed space. If you have never done casting before I would strongly suggest you get with someone that is familial with casting for a trial run to learn the do's and don'ts. What part of the world are you in? Maybe you can find a mentor from this site?

Boolit Buddy
    I Coleman stove for casting and it will provide more than enough heat for casting and smelting wheel weights.

I also use plain regular gas, same stuff that go's in the lawnmower, you just have to clean the generator every so often.

Take the generator apart and wire brush the coil inside. Be careful of the tip, it is like a needle.

The wire brushing removes the carbon/additive deposits.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I learned to cast on an old COLEMAN white gas stove. Small iron pot, single cavity LYMAN RB mold, LYMAN dipper. I was 8yrs old. My Dad fluxes the pot and adjusted the Temp. Then left me to it. I Don't know how many thousands of RB's before I got to move on to a single cav #356402. Cast thousands of them too.
    Same story, but 5 years old and always a Lyman 38 wadcutter.

Boolit Master

A Lee 20# bottom pour pot purchased from Titan (one of the top banners) is a much better choice.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I started in the 60s with a white gas Coleman stove and a bottom pour, 20# capacity pot. I *wish* I remembered the brand as I'd like another one! Cast a lot with that before I bought an RCBS Pro Melt. It was a nice step up, definitely. It's very doable to cast on a white gas stove, a thermometer helps till youlearn to read the lead (and keeps helping after then.)

Boolit Bub

Nice link

Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    Read: http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm
    Don't use aluminum pots, they will melt over time. Look at Flee markets etc to find old cast iron stuff and buy it up the more rusty the lower the price you can talk the person into. I still use my Colman stove from time to time.
    I checked this out, Kungfustyle. Read the Bullet Casting 101 section and will probably read some more. Excellent.

Boolit Bub
    Catshooter, it's funny, but this is the kind of advice I really appreciate. A reminder that I don't need a really big pot to hold 20 lbs of lead. I notice form the adverts that the Lee magnum pot isn't all that big. Just connected the dots with your remarks. Thanks.

Boolit Bub
    I've been wondering, Walks, if the coleman stove keeps running after it is initially pressurized. Considering you post, is sounds like it must.

Boolit Bub
    I think I can pull this off, Dragonheart - hopefully those aren't famous last words... Your post was interesting. Does lead give off more fume when melted at a hotter temp? Is this why the coleman stove may make more vapors?

I have the littlest Lee pot, new in a box, but I really wanted to ladle pour with more general purpose tools. Seems like it could be important someday.

I started with a Coleman stove and it worked fine. However, for what it's worth, I kept watching Craigslist and found a single propane burner from a turkey fryer for $20. Connects to a 5 gallon propane tank and is way more sturdy with wider spread legs (much safer). Cut the heating time in half too.
    Last edited by aws1963; 08-11-2018 at 11:15 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast